Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

47 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

You are free to think whatever you want obviously, obviously I don't agree. He is nowhere near a "top" defender.

He was outstanding in the Championship, an utter cut above players at that level in every element of his game.

The irony is your last line pretty much illustrates the point I was making. He is very good a lot of the time but he makes a lot of mistakes but because people love him (and I can understand why) they either overlook them or deny they happen.

I'm not saying he is a bad defender, clearly he isn't but he is I think often over rated by a large section of the fanbase and not treated in the same way as many other players.

I agree with you Trent. I don't think anybody could argue that, on form since the start of last season, Konsa has been the best centre back for Villa. If it continues throughout this season, if Villa were to strengthen with a big player at centre back they would surely replace Tyrone. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

You are free to think whatever you want obviously, obviously I don't agree. He is nowhere near a "top" defender.

He was outstanding in the Championship, an utter cut above players at that level in every element of his game.

The irony is your last line pretty much illustrates the point I was making. He is very good a lot of the time but he makes a lot of mistakes but because people love him (and I can understand why) they either overlook them or deny they happen.

I'm not saying he is a bad defender, clearly he isn't but he is I think often over rated by a large section of the fanbase and not treated in the same way as many other players.

There is no irony. He makes mistakes, but not a lot of them. They are high profile and costly yes and I’m not disagreeing with that. If he didn’t have those lapses in concentration then he wouldn’t be playing for us. So I’m clearly not overlooking that. 

To say that he’s not treated in the same way as other players is a load of rubbish. That’s obviously your feeling but I just admit I’ve not seen that at all. He gets loads of stick, deservedly or not.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

A figment of your imagination. Mostly just seen people disagreeing and explaining why.

Bad mistake by Mings, but the debate is whether over the course of a season he’s good enough at this level. Some think yes, some think no 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

So you pretend people are not blindly defending everything certain players do wrong ?

Weird.

👏😃👏😬👏😧👏

• Confused 1

Mings costs us games he does and that's a fact that we lose points or potential points because of him.

It won't be tough to replace him next window, there are so many experienced captain type CB out there. 

I did say I worried about giving him captaincy because managing your defensive area is certainly different to being captain for the whole of your team. The concentration he already lacks from before today but you add a whole captaincy to his game and it's even more to concentrate on.

I think come next seasons window may see us spend abit and bring a new CB in.

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

This is my view, yep. There are lots of better CBs out there, but vast majority play Champions League football.

Arsenal have just sunk £50m on Ben White - that gives a sense of what we’d need to spend to improve on Mings.

And that's still not an improvement on mings 

• Like 2

Mings is clearly a top defender. He made a mistake. If a forward makes an under-powered pass he will get away with it, if a midfielder makes an under-powered pass he may get away with it, if a defender makes an under-powered pass he probably won't get away with it. Do I wish our defenders were a bit more agricultural in defence sometimes rather than trying to play all the time? Yes, but that isn't the modern way, so mistakes will happen.

I think Mings is defended on here more, but then I think he’s attacked on here more. You only have to remember the Man City interfering with play goal last season, some could not wait to rush in here to criticise him. Then it transpired the ref had indeed ****ed it up. I can’t recall the same number of people returning to put their hands up and say “yeah, perhaps I shouldn’t have criticised him for that one.”

He is prone to making a mistake, he’s probably not going to be one of the players that leads the club into the top four/six (FWIW I suspect only a select few in the first XI are likely to do that - if it happens at all).

But for where we’re currently at and where we’re still essentially trying to establish ourselves in the short term (mid table initially, with a view to push on in the next couple of years is my view), he’s likely to be as good as we can get unless the club find a gem of a bargain as I don’t see them spending £30m-50m on a defender anytime soon.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Mings is clearly a top defender. He made a mistake. If a forward makes an under-powered pass he will get away with it, if a midfielder makes an under-powered pass he may get away with it, if a defender makes an under-powered pass he probably won't get away with it. Do I wish our defenders were a bit more agricultural in defence sometimes rather than trying to play all the time? Yes, but that isn't the modern way, so mistakes will happen.

Sorry but that’s a cop out. The basics of defending, defenders defend. The game hasn’t evolved so much that it’s totally redundant. He makes mistakes. Plural. I’m sick of him getting free passes because “ he’s a leader, he’s vocal “ blah blah. None of that matters if you can’t do the basics.

2 hours ago, bose said:

Sorry but I think that is absolute rubbish. Mings is a top defender but sadly he has a few costly mistakes in him that will cost us points.
For me you could say he lost the match for us today but I don’t think his performances in the championship were that much better than in the prem. He’s a very good defender, 80% of the time he’s on the top of his game but his lows are terrible. Still love the guy and he makes up for it.

How is he a top defender if he makes mistakes that lead to goals ?

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Konsa is superior player now, never mind developing into one.

Yes Mings is a leader and a great athlete but he is far from a great CB and I stand by every word in my previous post.

I think Mings is an average defender. I’ve said that many times on here. I believe he gets credit because our fan base and maybe English football as a whole is still in love with this antiquated idea of having a hard bastard who is barking at everyone at the back, blinded to the reality he can’t look after his own game, never mind having a pop at someone else. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Whilst I will agree that the 2nd was his fault,  if Martinez was in goal we wouldn't have conceded not due to particularly brilliant keeping but because he wouldn't have been on his line and taking a step back like steer was. 

I thought Steer had been glued to his line at one point. Yes it was Mings fault but agree Martinez would have been there to deal with it. 

Mings in front of Martinez is safer than Mings in front of Steer. He’s had a howler today no doubt, but he’ll be better next week.

If we’re relying on Steer for 6 or more games this season then it’s going to cost us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bose said:

To say that he’s not treated in the same way as other players is a load of rubbish. That’s obviously your feeling but I just admit I’ve not seen that at all. He gets loads of stick, deservedly or not.

That is your view, obviously I don't agree. I think he is treated very differently to other players. I don't think he does get stick when he doesn't deserve it, I think a lot of fans simply refuse to acknowledge the mistakes or the regularity of them for the reasons I've already given.

• Like 2

It's weird because he cost us a goal but then I think if he played centrally rather than Axel we may have dealt with Lukaku a bit better.  Not that he did much other than score twice mind you.  It just seemed a bit odd that the junior of the 3 played in the middle, we could have played Hause on the left and I'd have fancied him to score one of Mings's or Konsa's chances in the box.

Â