Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

24 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I've said this before and I'll say it again because I honestly believe it is the case, had Mings not had that half a season with us in the Championship where he was immense he would be viewed very differently by our fan base.

I think that spell and to an extent how he has conducted himself as a Villa player papers over the cracks in his game. 

At times, particularly when the ball is in front of him to win he is immense. At other times he makes utterly needless mistakes.

Today he cost us the second goal with a lapse of concentration followed by a woefully short back pass when totally off balance, those trying to shift focus or a portion of the blame onto Steer are kidding themselves.

On the third Mings had no choice but to go out and press the ball but if you commit yourself as fully as he did you either need to get the ball or stop the man. Being beat so easily was to me as big a mistake as the second goal.

Had Mings joined us in the Premier League I honestly think he would be viewed very differently, he is miles off the level of Konsa but gets picked for England ahead of him because he plays on the left.

The defeat today isn't all on him, far from it but it was the sort of performance we see from him far more often than a very big chunk of our fanbase are willing to accept.

Sorry but I think that is absolute rubbish. Mings is a top defender but sadly he has a few costly mistakes in him that will cost us points.
For me you could say he lost the match for us today but I don’t think his performances in the championship were that much better than in the prem. He’s a very good defender, 80% of the time he’s on the top of his game but his lows are terrible. Still love the guy and he makes up for it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

I've only quoted this bit from your post, but this is the most frustrating thing. Meant to be reliable but like many of our players like hause, has a major goal creating gaff in him every game.

1 in 2 or 3 would be noticeable and expected for the level we are at, 1 per game every game ? That's getting too high and he needs to calm himself down. You can see in some games, he works himself up into a strop if the forward gets the best of him and his concentration goes out the window and gets booked or does a 'mings'.

He was the main reason we went up, he was like an adult playing against kids such was his command of the game and he was amazing.

But it is far too frequent for a top defender.

A major goal creating gaff every game is a massive exaggeration. He makes mistakes like this from time to time not every game.

If he didn’t make these mistakes he wouldn’t be playing for us because his general level of play is top class. The silly mistakes like today are why he plays for us rather than a champions league team.

• Like 1

Just now, bose said:

Sorry but I think that is absolute rubbish. Mings is a top defender but sadly he has a few costly mistakes in him that will cost us points.
For me you could say he lost the match for us today but I don’t think his performances in the championship were that much better than in the prem. He’s a very good defender, 80% of the time he’s on the top of his game but his lows are terrible. Still love the guy and he makes up for it.

You are free to think whatever you want obviously, obviously I don't agree. He is nowhere near a "top" defender.

He was outstanding in the Championship, an utter cut above players at that level in every element of his game.

The irony is your last line pretty much illustrates the point I was making. He is very good a lot of the time but he makes a lot of mistakes but because people love him (and I can understand why) they either overlook them or deny they happen.

I'm not saying he is a bad defender, clearly he isn't but he is I think often over rated by a large section of the fanbase and not treated in the same way as many other players.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

A major goal creating gaff every game is a massive exaggeration. He makes mistakes like this from time to time not every game.

If he didn’t make these mistakes he wouldn’t be playing for us because his general level of play is top class. The silly mistakes like today are why he plays for us rather than a champions league team.

I think that is fair.

I don’t want him to leave, but I would like a more complete centre back, that’s how we improve. Despite his gaffs, he remains a very good player, and important player for us. 

If you want spin: Rather the error comes in a game we are losing and expect to lose than losing or drawing a game we expect to win.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Just as much Steer's fault to be honest. He didn't read the situation at all, and was a snail off his line. 

nope, nope and nope. they didn't play together for the first time. they train together every day. mings should know that steer likes to stand close to goal. horrendous backpass from our captain, no excuses.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Because where as some fans recognise each performance on its merits, will rightly give praise or criticism depending on that players performance. Some seem to be blind and excuse anything any player does badly or wrong. That sort of view reminds me of a happy clapping brigade of brainwashed cult followers  who refuse to accept anything could be improved on.

Weird.

A figment of your imagination. Mostly just seen people disagreeing and explaining why.

Bad mistake by Mings, but the debate is whether over the course of a season he’s good enough at this level. Some think yes, some think no 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Edited by KentVillan

7 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I don’t want him to leave, but I would like a more complete centre back, that’s how we improve. Despite his gaffs, he remains a very good player, and important player for us. 

If you want spin: Rather the error comes in a game we are losing and expect to lose than losing or drawing a game we expect to win.

Said in the conversation in the January transfer thread, we don't replace him to get there we replace him when we get there, the improvement on mings based on what and where we are I don't think exists if I'm honest, I dont know who he is

3 years time and 5 places up the league it becomes different but for where we are now he's not perfect but more than good enough 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Said in the conversation in the January transfer thread, we don't replace him to get there we replace him when we get there, the improvement on mings based on what and where we are I don't think exists if I'm honest, I dont know who he is

3 years time and 5 places up the league it becomes different but for where we are now he's not perfect but more than good enough 

This is my view, yep. There are lots of better CBs out there, but vast majority play Champions League football.

Arsenal have just sunk £50m on Ben White - that gives a sense of what we’d need to spend to improve on Mings.

• Like 4

Just now, KentVillan said:

This is my view, yep. There are lots of better CBs out there, but vast majority play Champions League football.

Arsenal have just sunk £50m on Ben White - that gives a sense of what we’d need to spend to improve on Mings.

Out of likes but nail on the head 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Honestly don't care if Konsa's got less mistakes in him, I'd still rather have Mings every day of the week. He doesn't take as many risks, partly because Mings takes that responsibility alongside him. 

Yep. Look at how often Konsa passes it sideways or backwards vs Mings per game. It's as much a trait as anything else at this level and it's part of why Mings it more integral to us as Konsa is, despite him having a reputation as a "ball playing defender" when we signed him.

5 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Yep. Look at how often Konsa passes it sideways or backwards vs Mings per game. It's as much a trait as anything else at this level and it's part of why Mings it more integral to us as Konsa is, despite him having a reputation as a "ball playing defender" when we signed him.

Yeah I'm kind of disappointed by that aspect of Konsa's game. He's certainly good on the ball, but Brentford fans were making it out like that was his best trait. He gets to play it simple with us because we know Mings will be making the more progressive and risky passes, and forays out of the defence.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, slovenian said:

nope, nope and nope. they didn't play together for the first time. they train together every day. mings should know that steer likes to stand close to goal. horrendous backpass from our captain, no excuses.

mm if he trains with our defenders everyday and Emi then he should know how we play. He is a modern keeper he should be more proactive

57 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Well said. There are certain players, where as soon as you offer any kind of criticism, no matter how reasonable,  you are labelled as 'just waiting for your chance to slate them'. It's absurd, why can't players be criticised fairly?

Remember last season against man city. The same people who criticise him now are the ones who couldn't wait to jump on to have a go at him for that game. How he should have known the rules. 

And then a few days later the Premier league acknowledge their **** up by making sure no goal could ever be scored like that again. 

Players can be criticised fairly. Unfortunately, for God knows what reason, some have developed an agenda against Mings so he doesn't get criticised fairly. 

I don't get it. He's our captain and played a major role in getting us up, keeping us up and improving us. 

• Like 2

Â