Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Depends how you define mistake 

In the match thread there was more than a fair few who labelled thr first goal as a mistake from tuanzebe

Personally I dont, not every goal is a mistake, goal 1 tonight was a case of Lukaku being a better striker than Tuanzebe is a defender 

There's poor play, there's unlucky play and then there's errors and mistakes, it's a hodge podge

That’s fair - I label things that are “poor play” as mistakes I think, because these players can play better. 

Off the top of my head last season, Mings played a similarly shit backpass against Fulham, got sent off against Palace after completely misjudging an over the top ball vs Zaha, missed a header completely allowing someone for… I think Man Utd to score - all of these things are really basic errors. They’re mistakes. Mings has these in him more than any other defender - doesn’t mean he isn’t a good player; you take the rough with the smooth.

Let’s face it, if these weren’t part of his game, then he’s at a CL club. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Ridiculous. He offers a lot of positives to the team and deserves criticism for his frequently costly errors. 

That doesn't actually disprove anything I said tbf. Nobody denied he's capable of making mistakes and if that's your stance then fair enough, don't take it personally :)

wasnt a great pass from Mings but Martinez is at least 5 yards further than Steer. I dont blame Steer he isnt the same quality but thats how it goes. FWIW I think Guzan or Heaton are probably in a similar position

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Just as much Steer's fault to be honest. He didn't read the situation at all, and was a snail off his line. 

Nowhere near “as much” Steer’s fault. Mings completely mis-controls the ball and then plays it back to the keeper on the stretch and it’s massively under hit. 

Steer could have read what was happening and adjust more quickly, but he’s nowhere near “as much” at fault as Mings. 

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

On the third Mings had no choice but to go out and press the ball but if you commit yourself as fully as he did you either need to get the ball or stop the man. Being beat so easily was to me as big a mistake as the second goal.

He can't take the man because he was on the soft yellow

If that happens at 0-0 or ten minutes in to the game I think he definitley does clean him out and take the card, at the stage of the game tonight it wasn't worth it 

Like I said earlier my problem is the word "mistake" I think it's poor play but it's not a mistake, I can see why he's charged over there, he just hasn't got anywhere near him, the commentator I had said mings dived in, he didnt, he didn't get close enough to dive in, he effectively did nothing 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

Not sure about this at all. I agree Konsa is developing into a better player, but cast your mind back to when Mings was injured in our first PL season, and how much our form noticeably dropped.

IMO he’s an excellent centre back with great athleticism and leadership skills, who lacks a little bit of finesse, and that naturally results in the occasional mistake on the ball.

A flawed player, no doubt, but I see him as a regular starter for at least the next 2 seasons, and that doesn’t worry me.

Konsa is superior player now, never mind developing into one.

Yes Mings is a leader and a great athlete but he is far from a great CB and I stand by every word in my previous post.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

He can't take the man because he was on the soft yellow

If that happens at 0-0 or ten minutes in to the game I think he definitley does clean him out and take the card, at the stage of the game tonight it wasn't worth it 

Like I said earlier my problem is the word "mistake" I think it's poor play but it's not a mistake, I can see why he's charged over there, he just hasn't got anywhere near him, the commentator I had said mings dived in, he didnt, he didn't get close enough to dive in, he effectively did nothing 

Fair point re the yellow.

I don't think it is a mistake because he has to go to the ball, I think he over committed himself though.

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Konsa is superior player now, never mind developing into one.

Yes Mings is a leader and a great athlete but he is far from a great CB and I stand by every word in my previous post.

“Miles off the level of Konsa”? That seems a bit overblown to me. Don’t get me wrong, Konsa is my preference at the back, but they offer slightly different things, and I think actually have a nice balance. Konsa more composed, and Mings more physical.

• Like 4

Just now, KentVillan said:

“Miles off the level of Konsa”? That seems a bit overblown to me. Don’t get me wrong, Konsa is my preference at the back, but they offer slightly different things, and I think actually have a nice balance. Konsa more composed, and Mings more physical.

Yes. I think Konsa is a far superior player.

10 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

A flawed player, no doubt, but I see him as a regular starter for at least the next 2 seasons, and that doesn’t worry me.

I've only quoted this bit from your post, but this is the most frustrating thing. Meant to be reliable but like many of our players like hause, has a major goal creating gaff in him every game.

1 in 2 or 3 would be noticeable and expected for the level we are at, 1 per game every game ? That's getting too high and he needs to calm himself down. You can see in some games, he works himself up into a strop if the forward gets the best of him and his concentration goes out the window and gets booked or does a 'mings'.

He was the main reason we went up, he was like an adult playing against kids such was his command of the game and he was amazing.

But it is far too frequent for a top defender.

Edited by brummybloke

18 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I've said this before and I'll say it again because I honestly believe it is the case, had Mings not had that half a season with us in the Championship where he was immense he would be viewed very differently by our fan base.

I think that spell and to an extent how he has conducted himself as a Villa player papers over the cracks in his game. 

At times, particularly when the ball is in front of him to win he is immense. At other times he makes utterly needless mistakes.

Today he cost us the second goal with a lapse of concentration followed by a woefully short back pass when totally off balance, those trying to shift focus or a portion of the blame onto Steer are kidding themselves.

On the third Mings had no choice but to go out and press the ball but if you commit yourself as fully as he did you either need to get the ball or stop the man. Being beat so easily was to me as big a mistake as the second goal.

Had Mings joined us in the Premier League I honestly think he would be viewed very differently, he is miles off the level of Konsa but gets picked for England ahead of him because he plays on the left.

The defeat today isn't all on him, far from it but it was the sort of performance we see from him far more often than a very big chunk of our fanbase are willing to accept.

Well said. There are certain players, where as soon as you offer any kind of criticism, no matter how reasonable,  you are labelled as 'just waiting for your chance to slate them'. It's absurd, why can't players be criticised fairly?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Well said. There are certain players, where as soon as you offer any kind of criticism, no matter how reasonable,  you are labelled as 'just waiting for your chance to slate them'. It's absurd, why can't players be criticised fairly?

Because where as some fans recognise each performance on its merits, will rightly give praise or criticism depending on that players performance. Some seem to be blind and excuse anything any player does badly or wrong. That sort of view reminds me of a happy clapping brigade of brainwashed cult followers  who refuse to accept anything could be improved on.

Weird.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â