Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Okonokos said:

The pass from Tuanzebe to Mings was probably worse than Mings' to Steer but it won't get picked up on.

Agree and Steer's lack of awareness there too, alas, 3 mistakes in a second or 2 will get punished by the likes of Chelsea.

Edited by Phil Silvers
  • Like 1

Mings was good when he just joined us , no nonsense keep it simple … but noticed his game changed when he’s picked for England … tried holding on to ball longer/ more playing out from back etc tried to pick up how Mcguire plays… that’s not gonna be easy as he’s not naturally a skillful player ..

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Agree and Steer's lack of awareness there too, alas, 3 mistakes in a second or 2 will get punished by the likes of Chelsea.

9 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Yes, I think Martinez would have been quicker off his line.

If he'd been faster he might just have given a penalty away to be honest.

10 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Yes, I think Martinez would have been quicker off his line.

His starting position is a big game changer for us. Martinez for the first goal might have stopped the situation and definitely for that back pass he would have got to it quicker.

28 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Once last season... 

It doesn't happen as often as people make out 

You’re taking the piss with “once last season”, surely?

It’s the deal with Mings - he’s a good defender who is prone to concentration lapses. Whether it’s weak backpasses, taking too long on the ball and getting closed down, misjudging aerial balls etc, it happens far more regularly than with any other defender, let alone any player. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

The pass from Tuanzebe to Mings was probably worse than Mings' to Steer but it won't get picked up on.

Agree it wasn't ideal, but Mings' still had more than enough time to make the pass. He just did his typical thing of being too casual. It's like in his brain he assumes the ball will go where he wants it to, without concentrating enough to make sure it does. 

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

You’re taking the piss with “once last season”, surely?

It’s the deal with Mings - he’s a good defender who is prone to concentration lapses. Whether it’s weak backpasses, taking too long on the ball and getting closed down, misjudging aerial balls etc, it happens far more regularly than with any other defender, let alone any player. 

Nope

Official PL stat, mistakes leading to goals Tyrone Mings = 1

It does not happen more than any other defender, we just analyse and see it more because the narrative is there 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Agree it wasn't ideal, but Mings' still had more than enough time to make the pass. He just did his typical thing of being too casual. It's like in his brain he assumes the ball will go where he wants it to, without concentrating enough to make sure it does. 

Yeah, I'm not excusing Mings. He should have played it better but the pass to him really didn't help. Tuanzebe just needed to play it down the line towards the corner flag, away from danger. Mings would just have played it down the line then. No need for him to play it inside.

• Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

Nope

Official PL stat, mistakes leading to goals Tyrone Mings = 1

It does not happen more than any other defender, we just analyse and see it more because the narrative is there 

Oh, directly leading to goals is probably fair enough.

I disagree on the latter - it’s not a narrative, it’s what actually happens. Anyone who thinks others make as many critical errors is blind. 

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Oh, directly leading to goals is probably fair enough.

I disagree on the latter - it’s not a narrative, it’s what actually happens. Anyone who thinks others make as many critical errors is blind. 

Depends how you define mistake 

In the match thread there was more than a fair few who labelled thr first goal as a mistake from tuanzebe

Personally I dont, not every goal is a mistake, goal 1 tonight was a case of Lukaku being a better striker than Tuanzebe is a defender 

There's poor play, there's unlucky play and then there's errors and mistakes, it's a hodge podge 

I definitley think that people are more willing to label a poor piece of mings play as a mistake than they are poor play from konsa, we have a weird scenario where konsa is overrated by us and Mings is underrated 

Edit - FWIW tonight for example he made a mistake for goal 2, goal 3 was just poor play, it's not a mistake 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

Â