Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Yes I noticed that too. I wonder what triggered the final payment, if indeed there was a particular clause that triggered it.

My guess it is time based and the payment dates were agreed at the time we purchased him. We bought him on the last day of the Jan transfer window which is about 6 months ago (ignoring years). So maybe payment dates at time of purchase then after 12 month, 12 months and 6 months. That is just speculation on my part though

14 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

We have now fully paid for Mings. We paid Bournemouth the final 6m instalment last week 

What was the deal to being Mings to us?, 20m + something?

On 12/08/2021 at 00:15, bannedfromHandV said:

The terminology of mental health invokes strong reactions these days. 

It’s perfectly normal for anyone to go through periods of low morale, low energy, low self esteem, insecurities and anxiety - these are totally normal things that the majority of people will feel at varying times throughout their lives, particularly when you’re under pressure which Mings (and every England player) certainly was in the build up to the Euro’s.

I’m not trying to downplay it or trivialise it but I’m not sure it’s something to worry about long term, he’s always seemed level headed and I think overall he’s quite comfortable in being captain, assuming he’s given it.

This is a good point. I’m not sure how Mings talked about mental health but as you say as soon those words are mentioned people think illness so we have to treat him differently. It’s probably why people that suffer with Mental Health don’t want people to know. It’s certainly been the case for me personally. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

What was the deal to being Mings to us?, 20m + something?

From what I read it was 20m + 3m in addons. Its funny, I thought it was very expensive and that we were getting screwed at the time. You would be doing well to get a CB like Mings at that price these days

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

We have now fully paid for Mings. We paid Bournemouth the final 6m instalment last week 

Looking at it, we paid the chargeholder (Maquarrie Bank) the amount, not Bournemouth. They sold/factored the debt them when he signed. I guess a lot of clubs probably do this. Cash is king! 

Edited by Xela

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Looking at it, we paid the chargeholder (Maquarrie Bank) the amount, not Bournemouth. They sold/factored the debt them when he signed. I guess a clubs probably do this. Cash is king! 

And Bournemouth paid 800k for the privilege of hedging the payments. 6% interest on 20m. It just shows how well NSWE invest their money. I am sure Bournemouth would have preferred the cash from us that using a bank. We could have paid 19.3m and Bournemouth would be 100k better off. That means that NSWE can make more than 6% pa on their money. Smart dudes 

He’s a really good player Ty. If we had 11 at his level we would be much better than we are. He does seem to have a bit of a weakness on knowing when to attack the ball and when to back off. The second goal today was a classic example. He left it far too late before closing down. I have noticed it a few times with him. Only a minor complaint to be honest but I’m surprised Terry never got into him about it.

Not going to slate Mings as defensively he’s arguably one of our best defenders.

But some of his passing yesterday was way off, so many long balls that didn’t find a target.

in my opinion though it all comes back to the missing midfielder, in Nakamba he’s got a midfielder who isn’t trusted on the ball to distribute from the back. We really need to fix this before the window closes.

Thought he was poor yesterday, his worst Villa game in a while. Of the starting back four only Konsa emerged from that defensive performance with any credit, but Mings wasn’t worse than Targett or Cash. 

A bad day all round. 

5 minutes ago, Awol said:

Thought he was poor yesterday, his worst Villa game in a while. Of the starting back four only Konsa emerged from that defensive performance with any credit, but Mings wasn’t worse than Targett or Cash. 

A bad day all round. 

Yeah, I agree Awol. This is why I'm willing to put this down to a collective bad day at the office, largely down to a a very disjointed preseason. 

Most of us will have played football against opponents in better physical condition before, and everything goes to pot. First touch goes, players go past you easier, passing is off and frustration kicks in. It may only be small margins, but they make a huge difference at elite levels.

We know Martinez is an amazing keeper, but he wasn't great yesterday. Targett had a shocker, and Cash couldn't trap a bag of cement. You could see the frustration in Mings when he barged their player. These are good footballers though, and they'll have to go some to all be off their game again like that. 

• Like 3

Â