Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

5 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Sorry outa likes Mark. He's a natural for it, however as another poster highlighted, does him going through MH issues at the moment rule him out?

This all centered around the England camp, where imo he was treated inappropriately by Southgate and the ManU reps on the BBC in particular, TM was arguably our best player the game before he was replaced by Maguire.  Neville, Ferdinand and Southgate were bang out of order and Ty was probably made to feel 2 feet tall. 

There are levels to MH though, if this affair made him depressed enough, this is what he may be going through. People with serious MH issues were probably born that way or have gone through a life changing trauma that they just struggle with life after.

I'm hoping for TM that this is something that's now easily manageable for him and would not impact his game at all.

It's him, Emi or incoming for captain. 

It’s a consideration of course, but I think he’s the one who’ll be asked and I think Tyrone will know in himself whether he wants the role. I think he will and relish it.

Emi Martinez is my second choice, so wouldn’t be unhappy if it was him.

• Like 1

On 06/08/2021 at 12:38, Jas10 said:

Ty has always been our captain, he just wasn’t wearing the armband. Our leader and organiser, we always look lost without him.

Too much is being made of his mental health, I don’t think he has any major issues. He’s just brave and confident enough to speak about these things, much more so than others. I think that shows great strength of character. He’s an inspirational figure and a respectable guy.

For me, there’s no one else as deserving of that armband. Ty has been a massive part of our rise and success, maybe that’s not always been so recognised or appreciated…

Glad we have him and looking forward to seeing him continue to lead us on to bigger and better things…

Vice captain? Martinez is a great choice, very much a leader, inspiration and positive influence much like Ty. Super determined character. He just hasn’t been with us long enough to warrant being captain imo, Mings is the obvious choice.

Personally, I don’t really see McGinn as a leader or proper captain material but he’s another positive personality.

Ings is another leader, comes across well too. I’m sure he’s going to be another positive influence and someone to learn from and guide the others…

Anyway, I’m on board with Dean’s philosophy that you need multiple captains/leaders in your team rather than just relying on that guy with the armband.

Agree 100% with this!

In one way I think Jack leaving is a blessing as we now can have a proper captain. Mings is a real leader. He takes responsibility on the pitch, gives instructions, calms situations down and has natural leadership qualities. Jack was of course the by far most gifted player, but he got the armband in the first place as a way of making him grow up, force him to take responsibility. And that was a good decision based on Jacks progression, he did mature. But not necessarily what was best for the team. And also as captain he was still the whining one, the primadonna, and when things went bad he went missing. I think the others accepted him as captain as he was the best player and Villa through and through. But in the long run I think it is good for us to have the real leader as our captain. And that is Mings.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Agree 100% with this!

In one way I think Jack leaving is a blessing as we now can have a proper captain. Mings is a real leader. He takes responsibility on the pitch, gives instructions, calms situations down and has natural leadership qualities. Jack was of course the by far most gifted player, but he got the armband in the first place as a way of making him grow up, force him to take responsibility. And that was a good decision based on Jacks progression, he did mature. But not necessarily what was best for the team. And also as captain he was still the whining one, the primadonna, and when things went bad he went missing. I think the others accepted him as captain as he was the best player and Villa through and through. But in the long run I think it is good for us to have the real leader as our captain. And that is Mings.

I agree with all that you've written apart from the bold bit. That is just wrong. He pulled us out of the shit very often.

8 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

I agree with all that you've written apart from the bold bit. That is just wrong. He pulled us out of the shit very often.

He certainly did, but I don't think the other post is entirely unfair, there were certainly times we were losing, he couldn't get into the game, and while Mings was trying to rally the troops, Grealish would just be throwing his arms up in the air and having a good sulk. And I think the key thing is when Grealish did turn a game around, it was all him. He was never a leader on the pitch trying to get the others to up their game

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Agree 100% with this!

Yes much more depth to Mings as a person/leader, Jack’s interviews from last year was more “I want to get my goal tally up and assists, Im desperate to get into the euro squad” followed by “obviously Im a villa fan” I suppose Jack lead by example simply by being a good player and dragging the team to victory. In terms of building a professional culture Mings is the perfect captain he’s vocal he’s a good human being in general acts grown up and he’s the type of person a player could walk up to with any issue or problem, I see him as much more of a go to between the coaches and players than Jack and is more likely to treat everyone the same rather than being buddy buddy with a few and a bit more distant from others.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Yes he did win us a lot of matches, and our record with and without him is telling, but what I was aiming at was the times when it really mattered, like in the play off semi final and final, and at the end of our first season back in the PL. In the play offs I thought he was disappointing, others stepped up, I had expected the captain to do that. And towards the end of our first season back in the PL I was even more disappointed, when it looked like we were certain to go down he went missing completely, only in the last two games when others had stepped up and had given us a chance of surviving he actually started to give it a go again. That is not captain material for me. I think Mings will thrive as captain.

Edited by Keener window-cleaner
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

He certainly did, but I don't think the other post is entirely unfair, there were certainly times we were losing, he couldn't get into the game, and while Mings was trying to rally the troops, Grealish would just be throwing his arms up in the air and having a good sulk. And I think the key thing is when Grealish did turn a game around, it was all him. He was never a leader on the pitch trying to get the others to up their game

Agreed there was always the fear of him getting sent off when things were going poorly,  not taking the way all the moments he saved us from disaster but little things like arguing with Watkins over taking a penalty and not taking the penalty Glenn Whelan missed in the final minute are a few examples of this his positives for us as a player far outweigh the negatives but he wasn’t a good captain.

Tbh I don't see it as criticism of Grealish, per se. Different players have different strengths. He was clearly our best player for several years but he was never a leader, and I think it was quite weak management to give him the armband to keep him happy. I imagine it was done with a nod and a wink at Mings at the time, tbh.

Edited by Davkaus

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I think it was quite weak management to give him the armband to keep him happy

If it helped keep him happy at a time when that was the best thing for the club it’s a perfectly sensible decision, nothing weak about it even if someone else might have been a better captain. Mings is 100% more captain material than Grealish but good management in any field isn’t about giving people the job they will do best, it’s about working out how to get the most from the sum total of your resources. Clearly Smith thought Grealish as captain was part of that and as we went on the best winning run in our entire history and got promoted, then have continued to progress, it’s hard to argue. But Mings will be a great captain for us in a different way.

• Like 1

Yeah, way too much made of the mental health comments. I'm not convinced it affected him greatly, I think it's more about him highlighting the hypocrisy of the press criticising players unnecessarily and piling pressure on players rather than supporting them and especially Ferdinand. 

At the same time using his position to shine a light on Mental health generally.  

He's a clever guy and a natural leader and I'd be absolutely amazed if anyone else is selected as captain. 

As an aside I don't like goalkeepers as captains as they are too far removed at the back and can't really be stepping forward to be vocal, speak to the ref and other players. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yeah, way too much made of the mental health comments. I'm not convinced it affected him greatly, I think it's more about him highlighting the hypocrisy of the press criticising players unnecessarily and piling pressure on players rather than supporting them and especially Ferdinand. 

At the same time using his position to shine a light on Mental health generally.  

He's a clever guy and a natural leader and I'd be absolutely amazed if anyone else is selected as captain. 

As an aside I don't like goalkeepers as captains as they are too far removed at the back and can't really be stepping forward to be vocal, speak to the ref and other players. 

Even if it affected him greatly, it surely didn't show on the pitch during the Euros.

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Tbh I don't see it as criticism of Grealish, per se. Different players have different strengths. He was clearly our best player for several years but he was never a leader, and I think it was quite clever management to give him the armband to keep him focused. I imagine it was done with a nod and a wink at Mings at the time, tbh.

FIFY

Mings is a leader though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Tbh I don't see it as criticism of Grealish, per se. Different players have different strengths. He was clearly our best player for several years but he was never a leader, and I think it was quite weak management to give him the armband to keep him happy. I imagine it was done with a nod and a wink at Mings at the time, tbh.

Disagree mate, I They knew the arm band is just symbolic and doesn’t really reflect who the leaders are. In fact It may have been a commercial move that came from the top. 

We all knew who the real leader was.

• Like 2

I think he can command a defence yeah but it could be different commanding a whole team. Totally different commanding an area to a whole 11. I think you need a captain further up the pitch. There are those people that say no Ming's is the one but I wonder if we brought Ings or even Ashley back to also have the captain Band. For me we need experience at leading and yes I wouldn't complain if Smith chooses Ming's but I feel Smith will give it to someone else.

Grealish was a different type of captain in the mould of Messi. Whereas Mings is an old school captain who organises and positions everyone.

Something Keane said in the Euro's has resonated with me. He said that they used to target other club's captains or players in the leadership group and try to sign them. This weakens a rival and "strengthened us" he said.

Hopefully everyone on the pitch becomes a leader.

Â