Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

45 minutes ago, Richie k said:

racists are a small minority of people. the problem is in some places its a bigger minority

And they tend to be loudmouthed gobshites. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Sadly amplified by social media apps. 

I think it’s true that social media apps give them their last remaining platform to be loud mouthed gobshites.

But racism is far more than this sad pathetic minority.

Edited by rayk

I don't what the true answer is, but for me I always thought it's a bit of a catch 22. There is no doubt we are hearing more, as we and the media are talking about it more. The taking of the knee, the BLM project, the constant reporting of the comments on social media are just fuelling the racists to be heard more, because we all know, they really don't give a flying ******. An to be fair on social media, you'll probably find it's 90% idiots and 10% true racists.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, rayk said:

I disagree and I’m a white male in his late 40’s who would probably be considered as coming from a privileged background.

Racism is endemic and institutionalised across our society and others.

And I am ashamed that it still exists in the 21st century ...

All I can say is Tyrone is a hero for taking on Priti Patel.

Jesus lads if I fully agree with @rayk I may have to reconsider/take it all back 😇

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I don't what the true answer is, but for me I always thought it's a bit of a catch 22. There is no doubt we are hearing more, as we and the media are talking about it more. The taking of the knee, the BLM project, the constant reporting of the comments on social media are just fuelling the racists to be heard more, because we all know, they really don't give a flying ******. An to be fair on social media, you'll probably find it's 90% idiots and 10% true racists.

That is such a stupid statement….BUT your stats is probably bang on. Right now it’s not the 10% true racists we need to be worried about first - let the police deal with them - it’s the 90% idiot RACISTS that should be in the firing line.

Edited by rayk

17 minutes ago, rayk said:

That is such a stupid statement. And your analysis is probably bang on - it’s not the 10% true racists we need to be worried about first - it’s the 90% idiot RACISTS that should be in the firing line.

I didn't say that did I!

What I did say is, there's no doubt raising awareness of Racism fuels the racists and idiots, but I'm not sure what the answer is.

I'm different to you though, as I don't believe our country is systematically racist.

Edited by foreveryoung
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, blandy said:

(1) Should we stop asking for people to be respectful to each other “because it’s clearly not working”?

(2) The second point is actually both the guidelines and the footballers efforts actually are working. Of course not everyone agrees with our request to be nice and not everyone sadly agrees with the footballers asking for equal treatment for everyone, and an end to racism. Our forum requires less moderation than it used to. I hope The racists are also reduced and ultimately are gone from society

(3) I guess we’ll stop asking people to be nice when everyone is nice. And the footballers  can  stop asking for a end to racism when racism is no longer a problem

(1) I guess, this is why you give out warnings, before ultimately banning people. Which is, in terms of the law, taking people's liberty away from them and locking them up.

(2) I honestly don't understand this. The footballers efforts are clearly not having the desired effect, ie; not working, as evidenced constantly on social media and in society as a whole. Is this seriously in dispute? So the method and effectiveness of the message needs to be questioned, and we need to figure why this is and what can be done.

(3) This has, and will never be the case, which is why we need laws and police to enforce them. Even the most egalitarian society, like Scandinavia, say, still require police and laws. Hope, in the end, is an abstract desire we live for, not a rule we can live by.

To bring the two topics of your analogy together, this particular football forum, like all football forums, is essentially a closed shop, where almost every single member desires Aston Villa to do well. This is simply not the case in society as a whole, where all kinds of ideologies and opinions fight for space, which is why, it seems to me, the likes of Twitter is a cesspit of vitriol and hatred, and Villa Talk, as you've mentioned, is relatively calm water and largely self-policing. Societies, unlike North Korea, say, are not closed shops, so the two are incomparable.

3 minutes ago, rayk said:

Why, it’s about Tyrone Mings and Tyrone has been a hero today. So cmon mate what’s your story?

Agreed. I love Tyrone. I think it's impossible to quantify how much I appreciate everything he's done for this team. 

1 minute ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Agreed. I love Tyrone. I think it's impossible to quantify how much I appreciate everything he's done for this team. 

Don’t chicken out, you decided to make a stand against the racism angle that Tyrone was absolutely right to highlight and now you’ve gone into your shell.

6 minutes ago, rayk said:

Don’t chicken out, you decided to make a stand against the racism angle that Tyrone was absolutely right to highlight and now you’ve gone into your shell.

No, I haven't gone into a shell. It's pretty clear you're chomping at the bit to castigate me as a racist. I already told you, if you're interested then tag me in the other thread.

In regards to Tyrone's tweets. I'm in no way taking a stand against what he said and I'm not sure how you even jumped to that. I wholeheartedly agree with his posts.

Edited by Aston_Villan4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, blandy said:

The second point is actually both the guidelines and the footballers efforts actually are working.

So, @blandy, I was curious about why you think this. It's certainly working in terms of raising the profile of the issue, but that doesn't necessarily equate to footballers recieving less racist abuse - an issue taking on a higher profile can sometimes just make the entire debate far more bitter (e.g. Brexit, Scottish independence, etc). 

Have you seen any evidence that the amount of hate is being reduced or is it enough in your eyes that the issue is getting more attention?

Tyrone’s statement about Patel is powerful, & hard hitting and I’m proud he is our player!

My heart went out when they were in the pitch at the final whistle for the pain and loss. It was predictable that these poor young men who were desperately keen to get this all over with, but knowing full well the inevitable sick abuse they would be getting… Maybe the FA should mandate players online accounts are locked to comments during and after games? 

Mings will be a key figure moving forward in this fight against the rise of bigotry and nastiness. I can easily see a guest spot on Question Time & get Benjamin Zephaniah on as well … A proper debate with x2 Intellectual Villa Men on would be immense to see. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

I'm lost here. That doesn't seem to be a good example at all - are you saying Jewish is a nationality?

Racism is a form of xenophobia rather than the other way around, as xenophobia is fear of the foreign (in the sense of "different" rather than "from abroad"). Hitler was of course both. It certainly wasn't as simple as him hating all non-Germans though. Him not actually being German might be a bit of a giveaway there.

I do t think you understand the word form. It’s like maths and subsets and the like if you remember. The point is the two expressions overlap.

But logically, I find it hard to believe if you live in a largely white society and you hate your neighbouring largely white society that you then won’t have a beef if about your non-white minority.

But hey, that’s not just me saying that, just look at the history books.

Hitler saw the German peoples as a collectivist living organism, within which foreign peoples were a cancer. You could say he was xenophobic towards the Brits, and racist towards the latin and slavic peoples along with jews and gypsies. 

That said, Tyrone Mings has grown immensely both as a player and a character over the last two years imo. 

9 hours ago, hippo said:

The UK as a whole is moving to the right. TM is bang on what he said about Pri Patel - fanning the flames of discontent - seeking to protect our borders from those so desperate they risk there life in dinghies - launching planes when migrant crossers reach a staggering 40 - pump that into mainstream polictics - and don't be surprised if some idiots go a step further..

Well done TM for identifying the root cause  

It was a brilliant statement from Tyrone. He's a credit to the club.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â