Jump to content

Tyrone Mings


Demitri_C
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Yeah guys, racism exists all over the world and we’re not even the worst at it anyway so I’m not even sure what you’re all moaning about!

This is such an embarrassing take.

Except I haven’t said that. That’s your interpretation. Carry on mate 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

That's the difference between a social media account operated by someone employed by the player to a social media account which the player himself uses, as in Tyrone's case. Although I dread to think what Maguire would come out with if he operated his social media account himself. Maybe the better option is to have someone in charge of it and just do meaningless advertisements.

I'm not sure Mings would control his own account tbh. Roc Nation are very keen on their clients taking public stands on social issues and I remember reading that they employ someone very well regarded to manage their big players' social media. Rashford would be the same.

That's not to say the messages don't come from the players and have their input. For this particular tweet I'd be very surprised if an American executive suggested he hit back at Priti Patel, but I'm sure it would have been run past them. It may even be them that told him he'd do well to stay quiet at the original time of her comments as replying after racial abuse would have a much bigger impact.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Yeah guys, racism exists all over the world and we’re not even the worst at it anyway so I’m not even sure what you’re all moaning about!

This is such an embarrassing take.

I despair the amount of times I've had to explain to someone that if everyone took the "why worry, (it's better than it used to be/works well enough as is)" approach we'd still be kidnapping our wives and hunting with flint spears.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I'm not sure Mings would control his own account tbh. Roc Nation are very keen on their clients taking public stands on social issues and I remember reading that they employ someone very well regarded to manage their big players' social media. Rashford would be the same.

That's not to say the messages don't come from the players and have their input. For this particular tweet I'd be very surprised if an American executive suggested he hit back at Priti Patel, but I'm sure it would have been run past them. It may even be them that told him he'd do well to stay quiet at the original time of her comments as replying after racial abuse would have a much bigger impact.

Yeah, you're probably right but you can see he has a very big influence on what is posted on his social media.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Most of the people I know that say there is very little racism in this country live in rural, 99% white areas...and I regularly hear them being racist themselves.

I used to work round the corner from the Old Bailey and I'd hear horrendous racist chants whenever our Tommie and his entourage decided to make an appearance. I even saw a group of 5 skinheads start chasing an Asian guy for no reason once. Was pretty terrifying as you could see they were out for blood.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, sparrow1988 said:

Yeah, you're probably right but you can see he has a very big influence on what is posted on his social media.

The message definitely comes from him. They would probably have told him to hold on until replying for maximum impact.

The Maguire tweet is pretty embarrassing tbh.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Yeah guys, racism exists all over the world and we’re not even the worst at it anyway so I’m not even sure what you’re all moaning about!

This is such an embarrassing take.

I just can't get my head around a position where someone isn't revolted by the idea of a black guy doing his job (for his country no less) being subjected to racist abuse just because "we're better than all those other countries". So what you're saying is "he should just shut up and be grateful he isn't hanging from a **** tree?"

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

You're confusing abuse of someone for what they've done (or not done) with abuse of someone for what they are.

If you want to critisise Rashford, Sancho and Saka for their penalty technique then that's completely legitimate and they'd have to accept that. Why should they have to accept racist abuse?

Racist abuse of footballers didn't start with social media but it's a lot easier for someone to send abuse from behind their keyboard than it was when you'd have to buy a ticket, get off your arse to travel to the ground and wait for said black guy to be within earshot of you. Why should they have to get off social media to avoid racist abuse?

Agreed but a lot of the critisism these guys have received has been racist. References to the fact that all the penalty takers that missed were black, like that had anything to do with it.

I agree we're on the whole a fairly tolerant country in that we don't have police literally crushing a guys windpipe on the road, but there are still people who feel comfortable and safe spouting this shit in our society. The social media companies aren't doing anywhere near enough to stop it at source. That's what this is about. They need to put some kind of system to de-anonymise these people so they can be found and society can see that Mr Jones at number 37 called Tyrone Mings an XYZ, so they can lose their friends, livelihoods and in the most extreme cases, their freedom.

Who wouldn't want to live in a country where people felt they couldn't call someone the N word or insinuate that a black England player missed their penalty because they were black, rather than just acknowledge that like the rest of the guys who've missed pens down the years it's because we English (white, black and everything inbetween) can't take a **** decent pen?

Well balanced post, well written. Far, far better than some of the adolescent responses. With regard to what you’ve written, and I’ve highlighted in bold, take a look at the following petition. I’ve signed it and would encourage everyone else to do so. 
 

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/575833

  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


3 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

Well balanced post, well written. Far, far better than some of the adolescent responses. With regard to what you’ve written, and I’ve highlighted in bold, take a look at the following petition. I’ve signed it and would encourage everyone else to do so. 
 

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/575833

Alrerady signed but I've signed many down the years and I'm pretty sure not one of them made any difference. Thanks all the same!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

The social media companies aren't doing anywhere near enough to stop it at source. That's what this is about.

Social media companies are only the tip of the iceberg. There are top government officials saying it is ok to boo the taking of the knee, calling it "gesture politics". Hell, the top man in the country has a somewhat coloured past (and present) on the issue. He and his party built aspects of their election campaign on securing votes from racists/xenophobes etc. in order to stay in power. This runs much deeper than social networks. Social media accounts belong to people after all, and they will find an other medium to spout their bile if they are forced to do so.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Social media companies are only the tip of the iceberg. There are top government officials saying it is ok to boo the taking of the knee, calling it "gesture politics". Hell, the top man in the country has a somewhat coloured past (and present) on the issue. He and his party built aspects of their election campaign on securing votes from racists/xenophobes etc. in order to stay in power. This runs much deeper than social networks. Social media accounts belong to people after all, and they will find an other medium to spout their bile if they are forced to do so.

100% agree. It’s a party of predominantly white male English people governing (for the most part) for white male english people.

They’ll say they’re disgusted by racism but at the same time make ridiculous comments like “I only kneel for the queen and my wife” (Dominic Raab FYI) in order to delegitimise the anti racism message, make it seem like these people are doing something wrong. Then to top it off they start getting their attack dogs at the daily heil to start writing headlines about BLM wanting to pull down capitalism and turn us into some Leninist state.

It’s all about creating a division with these guys to mobilise that English base that deep down doesn’t think these black guys are all that English.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

But does it go beyond that and encompass black equality within the rest of society, like many posters on this forum believe? Is it therefore intended to protest against the existence of systemic racism in the UK?

The two are inseparable and intertwined. You don't have racist abuse of footballers if it isn't a wider societal problem. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't have anything to say on the subject that hasn't already been said more eloquently than I could put it over the past 10 pages or so. 

I do want to express though, as someone who loves to play devils advocate, it really bothers me when people play devils advocate on a subject like racism. Or simply saying "I share traits with stereotypical racists and I'm not a racist". Well done on achieving the bare minimum expected of a decent person. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I find the whole debate around taking the knee very interesting, but it's now clearly having either no, or worse,  the opposite effect. So why continue? Also I happen to think Tyrone Mings and others are wrong to call for people to 'educate themselves' when it comes to chucking abuse about online. I mean, a decent education would certainly help! But I don't believe it is necessarily about a lack of education, more a lack of experience in the world. How can you change this? It might be more precise to say: 'experience the world and other cultures, and distance yourself from your miserable peer group'.

You are never going to change someone's mind by insisting they think differently. The best we can hope for is that these people STFU, and eventually come to realise through epiphany or lived-experience that their poisonous mindset damages themselves as much as others.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â