Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

9 hours ago, LondonLax said:

How is it Man U finished second in the table if all their players are so poor? 

Eleven penalties always helps.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Well….. what’d he say??

He also said that Maguire's distribution helped England last night, when no such thing happened. 

Yanaated stick together innit. 

• Like 2

Maguire has also played with Shaw for years, and Stones has been playing with Walker for years. That has to help when playing in a new back 4. Maguire and Stones have played together a lot too. 

Maguire was class he is actually a good footballer and we miss him stepping out and moving the ball into feet especially with the turgid base of midfield.

We missed Ty yesterday because Czechs were pumping the ball in he should probably have started?

Should he start against (Germany)? Certainly not. Not for me. It is not the game for him and it's a level too far.

5 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

See: Mings through ball for Sterling against Croatia.

I like Mings, don't get me wrong - but there is a huge difference in a hopeful long ball over the top and a defensive splitting pass that sets up a one-on-one.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

Maguire has also played with Shaw for years, and Stones has been playing with Walker for years. That has to help when playing in a new back 4. Maguire and Stones have played together a lot too. 

Maguire and Shaw have such great chemistry that they were headlocking each other on a corner last season 😉😂

• Haha 2

3 games 3 clean sheets, played well and did absolutely nothing wrong, established himself as the 3rd choice CB and hopefully shut some of his detractors up, come across intelligent and likable in his media duties too 

In the expectation that we don't win the next game I would be ok with his euros involvement being finished, come back to the villa head held high 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

See: Mings through ball for Sterling against Croatia.

I was going to say I am accustomed to Mings strolling forward with the ball in advanced positions for us.  I also seem to recall a superb assist towards the end of last season, cross from the edge of the box?   

I didn't see Maguire do anything last night I would expect Mings to be able to do.  And my original point was that Neville said he energised England with it and that's just not true otherwise we wouldn't have had such a completely dour affair.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I didn't see Maguire do anything last night I would expect Mings to be able to do.  

I saw nothing that he can't do but some stuff that maybe it's confidence, maybe it's southgate, maybe it's the team - I saw some stuff that he hasn't been doing 

Maguire did have 2 or 3 ventures in to their half, not dribbles just ambling forward and them letting him do it, him ignoring several pass options and carrying on with the ball, I'm sure he nearly put Bellingham through on goal from a position where the AMC should be 

Mings would have taken one of those pass options 

But that does generate a problem for Southgate, if maguire is happy roaming forward with the ball he doesn't need rice and Phillips, can't justify them any more, you can celebrate maguire going forward but it raises questions about the shape of the team 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Maguire is a better player than Mings.

You are mad if you are trying to argue against that. Thought he was great yesterday.

I agree. Mings has played well in every game this tournament, and I'm sad for him that it wasn't enough to keep the shirt, but if Maguire is fully fit then I'd find it hard not to play him.

Ty has been brilliant both on and off the pitch, and he can be extremely proud of that.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Maguire is a better player than Mings.

You are mad if you are trying to argue against that. Thought he was great yesterday.

Sadly, I think this is true but that’s why Man United paid £80m for Maguire and we paid £20m for Mings 

16 hours ago, villa4europe said:

3 games 3 clean sheets, played well and did absolutely nothing wrong, established himself as the 3rd choice CB and hopefully shut some of his detractors up, come across intelligent and likable in his media duties too 

In the expectation that we don't win the next game I would be ok with his euros involvement being finished, come back to the villa head held high 

Fully agree with this.

• Like 2

On 22/06/2021 at 21:40, Troglodyte said:

I like Mings, but he does have a rick in him. He has every right to be disappointed with being dropped but he's not as good as either Stones or Maguire. Nice to see him come on all the same and hopefully play his part in a third clean sheet!

As if stones or Maguire aren't as mistake prone as him! 

They are clowns without his physicality or his skill on the ball. 

On 23/06/2021 at 08:55, Cizzler said:

A lot of Villa bias on the last few pages.

Maguire is a lot better with the ball at his feet than Mings, and he played well yesterday too. He played a through ball to Kane that Mings wouldn't dream of attempting in an England shirt. 

Mings played well in the first two games. Southgate admitted that and said it was a tough decision, referred to Mings as "colossal" - but ultimately Stones and Maguire are better players than him. I don't think that's unfair to say. They've both had good seasons for the top two sides in the league. Whereas a lot of this thread has been critical of Mings all season. 

And Mings has sent through sterling twice. Maguire has done it once. I'd start Maguire over stones but only because stones has been pretty awful in terms of his distribution. 

• Like 2

Â