Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

I thought it was pretty clear that’s what you meant !

Of course it’s possible that a team with loans can go up, and vice versa.

I fail to see how Grabbans and Snodgrasses goals last season can be seen as of any value in anything other than the very very short term ( ie in any particular game and season)  The same will go for Tammy this term unless they actually take us up. 

Certainly it’s possible to see how the loan of a PL striker who scores for fun can mean ( has meant ?) that a Manager can neglect team building yet still appear successful, or nearly successful, only for the departure of such a player to leave us looking threadbare.

Theyve been fun, but take / have taken us nowhere. Ditto the big money signings actually.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, terrytini said:

I thought it was pretty clear that’s what you meant !

Of course it’s possible that a team with loans can go up, and vice versa.

I fail to see how Grabbans and Snodgrasses goals last season can be seen as of any value in anything other than the very very short term ( ie in any particular game and season)  The same will go for Tammy this term unless they actually take us up. 

Certainly it’s possible to see how the loan of a PL striker who scores for fun can mean ( has meant ?) that a Manager can neglect team building yet still appear successful, or nearly successful, only for the departure of such a player to leave us looking threadbare.

Theyve been fun, but take / have taken us nowhere. Ditto the big money signings actually.

We were 90 minutes from promotion last season so Grabban and Snodgrass could very easily have helped us go up. I can't see how you can say there would have been no value in that.

Moderation is key. I agree over reliance is poor. But the OP claimed he didn't want us to ever sign a loan again.

Imagine having a player like Abraham available for a season and not taking up the loan. That would be madness.

I get we need to build something, but there's nothing wrong with supplementing what you're building with some quality. Dean Smith is not going to have built an entire squad by the first game of next season.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

We get a player who is way too good for us for a season.

Over reliance on loans is bad. But refusing to loan anyone is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Used in moderation, the loan system is great for teams like us looking to get up.

I agree...but teams get you promotion not great individuals.

They should be the cherry on the cake, not the cake.

It is hard to build a team and the necessary togetherness based on loans, there is always an exception of course, but in the main, its permanent players, who are more likely to give you the necessary passion and commitment, to get up.

I am not opposed to loans in our position, just opposed to too many.....it can make to job of building more of a constant, than it should be.

On 05/03/2019 at 11:00, Vive_La_Villa said:

It hasn’t worked for us but it was good for Wolves. They had 4 or 5 players on loan that they signed once promoted.

I think one or two loans is ok if they improve the team. 

Loaning has worked for us in a fashion, but we are just plugging holes with it( not necessarily a criticism more an observation).....they built a balanced team,Wolves, that bought them time and money, to progress.

Its a paradox....but what is holding us up/back, is not getting promotion as quick as we would like.

I am sure everyone one at the club know whats required, its just doing it.....our problem seems to be, one step forward, one step back, so far.

We all know what we went through during the summer, with that management upheaval .....what we don't know, is the magnitude of it and the size of the task to repair it....Our luck relied in the owners we were able to attract, to fix it... but it takes time, the old cliche.

The encouraging bit for me is how well the fans have stuck with it and that will encourage the owners to do the same.....it really is a together thing.

We will get there guys.

The thing with loans is that you could get quality that you could not get at this stage apart from finding a gem out of nowhere as McGin, or have that quality from the academy as Jack.

You might find good quality players at their late career as Terry. But you’d waste a lot of money and they won’t have legs for the whole season.

Loans are tricky in a way, but even permanent players as Jack could always go if we’re not improving. 

If we went up then we would definitely have a good chance in keeping Jack and loaning Tammy again.

We had Grabban last season, but we had an upgrade on him this season.

Its not that you can’t replace a player with another. But loans definitely is a good weapon to use, especially down here.

• Like 1

I think he’ll relish a derby, I expect a big performance from him. In my opinion, he should be captain but I’m not the manager. It’s rare that you’d have a captain that is on loan but I think his performances have been a revelation. He’s tough, strong, quick, just got the lot, a great find by Smith, he wears his heart on his sleeve, we haven’t had a player as passionate as him for a long time

Reminds me a lot of Rio Ferdinand.  Calm, cool, collected, but not afraid to turn on the physicality and absolutely manhandle someone, if need be.  He is also deceptively good on the ball, because he's so tall.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

Reminds me a lot of Rio Ferdinand.  Calm, cool, collected, but not afraid to turn on the physicality and absolutely manhandle someone, if need be.  He is also deceptively good on the ball, because he's so tall.  

I can see this comparison definitely 

Â