Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

9 hours ago, May-Z said:

I wonder if Bruce's strange tactic of playing his strikers out wide pulled Mings around abit.

I spot a flaw 🤣

people complained for months that Mings was overplaying the ball and costing us. No surprise our downturn in form and possession came since the City game when he started playing long ball instead of passing from the back

Glad people got there wish ;) 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

people complained for months that Mings was overplaying the ball and costing us. No surprise our downturn in form and possession came since the City game when he started playing long ball instead of passing from the back

Glad people got there wish ;) 

Yep. I said this after the Wolves game, I think. Now it's not the only reason why we're playing absolutely cat at the moment but it is definitely contributing to our lack of ability to create anything.

His status and worth to the team outweighs his skill imo - a weird thing to say I know. They guy has all the makings to be an icon and could transcend the game. When he speaks - people listen. He is leader full stop! Off and on the pitch. 

But I feel he suffers from a lack of top level football and training at the formulative stage of his career and IMO will always show and hold him back from being as good as he should be - a world class, complete CB. 

He has played pretty much the same amount 1st team football as Konsa, so he hasn’t had the time to iron out the kinks and work on his game. He will always have those frustrating traits. That mad moment. The stupid error of judgement. The frustrating lapses to his game. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, thabucks said:

His status and worth to the team outweighs his skill imo - a weird thing to say I know. They guy has all the makings to be an icon and could transcend the game. When he speaks - people listen. He is leader full stop! Off and on the pitch. 

But I feel he suffers from a lack of top level football and training at the formulative stage of his career and IMO will always show and hold him back from being as good as he should be - a world class, complete CB. 

He has played pretty much the same amount 1st team football as Konsa, so he hasn’t had the time to iron out the kinks and work on his game. He will always have those frustrating traits. That mad moment. The stupid error of judgement. The frustrating lapses to his game. 

I agree.

we have more problems than Tyrone Mings....He has his flaws, but he is ok, our defence is ok.

we all know where our problems lie.

Edited by TRO

I think it's time to get him back playing the ball out from the back again. Granted he's cut out the silly mistakes (which didn't happen that often) but we've lost so much as a team since we've changed our style to a more cautious approach. It is not the only reason, of course. We've lost Grealish obviously and the enforced break due to covid and potentially covid itself.

However, I think that getting Mings to alter his playing style has also contributed to us becoming way less effective in our recent games. Maybe it was a conscious decision made by Mings himself due to the criticism he was getting but since then we have become way more ineffective with the ball. What we do is just so predictable at the moment. IMO the advantages of Mings playing out from the back totally outweigh the disadvantages and we should accept the risks that go with it.

On 23/03/2021 at 01:41, TRO said:

I agree.

we have more problems than Tyrone Mings....He has his flaws, but he is ok, our defence is ok.

we all know where our problems lie.

OK? Our defence is bloody excellent for the most part. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

I think it's time to get him back playing the ball out from the back again. Granted he's cut out the silly mistakes (which didn't happen that often) but we've lost so much as a team since we've changed our style to a more cautious approach. It is not the only reason, of course. We've lost Grealish obviously and the enforced break due to covid and potentially covid itself.

However, I think that getting Mings to alter his playing style has also contributed to us becoming way less effective in our recent games. Maybe it was a conscious decision made by Mings himself due to the criticism he was getting but since then we have become way more ineffective with the ball. What we do is just so predictable at the moment. IMO the advantages of Mings playing out from the back totally outweigh the disadvantages and we should accept the risks that go with it.

I don't think it's made much of a difference tbf - Jack being out is the big loss. 

17 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I don't think it's made much of a difference tbf - Jack being out is the big loss. 

Losing Grealish has been the biggest loss but I think the change of style has also contributed. We are playing with in tighter spaces without our best player at playing in tight spaces. Mings carrying the ball out from the back created extra space for the players further up the field and now that is gone. We also looked pretty limited going forward with Jack since we've gone more safety first from the back.

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

OK? Our defence is bloody excellent for the most part. 

It Is, but it might be worth remembering.....

We have won 12 games this season, with 11 clean sheets only 1 game have we conceded goals whilst winning.

That leaves 16 games where we have conceded, losing 11 and drawing 5....we have conceded 30 goals in those games averaging 1.875 goals per game.

I think our defenders are basically fine, but I would question if the team as a whole is as competent at defending the ball.

I think those stats open up food for discussion.

I don't think we can just say defensively we are ok , because we have all seen on occasions, we are not....We are still prone to silly errors and lapses of concentration or poor positioning.

However, if I was recruiting this summer, the front 6 is where my focus would be.

31 minutes ago, TRO said:

It Is, but it might be worth remembering.....

We have won 12 games this season, with 11 clean sheets only 1 game have we conceded goals whilst winning.

That leaves 16 games where we have conceded, losing 11 and drawing 5....we have conceded 30 goals in those games averaging 1.875 goals per game.

I think our defenders are basically fine, but I would question if the team as a whole is as competent at defending the ball.

I think those stats open up food for discussion.

I don't think we can just say defensively we are ok , because we have all seen on occasions, we are not....We are still prone to silly errors and lapses of concentration or poor positioning.

However, if I was recruiting this summer, the front 6 is where my focus would be.

The back 5 in isolation is excellent. I think if we improve whats in front of them, starting from the front then we will see these stats improve. Which is what I think you're alluding too. 

Again squad depth and development increasing consistency across the board plays a part in this too. We don't have one of the meanest defences in the league by chance.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Â