Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Thing is if we knew back then what we know now about Tyrone now, it would be very easy to say we were the ones that have had Bournmouth's pants down on that fee and really they well and truly know it.

But we knew it then!

We'd watched him play and absolutely dominate the Championship, he looked a league above from his 3rd game here onwards (first two were a bit ropey from memory).

It was classic VT -  'can't wait to sign Mings', 'future england player for sure', 'next Van Dijk'............then, 3 hours later when he hadn't signed yet - 'ah well he's shit anyway', 'overrated' blah blah blah

He's now my favourite ever Villa player.  I haven't enjoyed watching a defender player in a Villa team this much since McGrath, and I think that big Tyrone will go on to eclipse even him.

58 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Players i hadn't really heard about when we signed them.

The only things I had heard about Tyrone is that he had previous for stamping on people’s heads... including that of Zlatan...

The more I’ve seen him play for us, the less he looks like the type of person that would deliberately try and hurt someone!

82E075E5-529A-4D5B-8958-486B96FA5307.thumb.jpeg.86210be703bf77196410dc71b0fe2b54.jpeg

He’s a fearless warrior in the ranks, unofficial captain and i’m chuffed he’s with us.  

Like McGinn and Grealish, if he were to be sold in the next few windows, then a very high fee would be demanded I’m sure.  However, i’m hoping he’s with us for the long term, cos he could be remembered as one of the Villa greats. 

8 hours ago, tomav84 said:

just had a look through around the time we signed him (from around page 145) and not one person said we overpaid or had pants pulled down. and certainly no doubters...so i'm calling fake news sir. england cap already? no chance we overpaid...in fact he's looking like an absolute steal.

You needed to be more thorough before calling my post ‘fake news’. As others have written, there were definitely complaints about the fee including the “pants pulled down” statement, all in the week before he signed (i.e. before page 145).

I don’t know why some fans are so quick to express knee-jerk reactions over supposed transfer fees. I’ve commented previously that it’s impossible to judge a whether a fee is a ‘rip-off’or a ‘bargain’ until a decent proportion of a players contract has been completed. It appears some just love to be first out of the gate, even if they have ran off in the wrong direction!

2 hours ago, Risso said:

He's now my favourite ever Villa player.  I haven't enjoyed watching a defender player in a Villa team this much since McGrath, and I think that big Tyrone will go on to eclipse even him.

Steady on now chap!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Risso said:

Ugo Ehiogu is one of my all time favs, prob my fav CB but Mings comes very close both had and have a stunning smile, fantastic personality and ace footballers in my book.

McGrath was also an amazing footballer. I also used to love Draper, Bosnich, Atkinson, even liked Milosevic, Earl Barrett, Joachim, Taylor, wright I could go on but maybe in time Mings and others of this swuad could be call ED amongst the most ace players.

I would say this, that I do think our lads now are the best squad we've had since the John Gregory squad. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

But we knew it then!

We'd watched him play and absolutely dominate the Championship, he looked a league above from his 3rd game here onwards (first two were a bit ropey from memory).

It was classic VT -  'can't wait to sign Mings', 'future england player for sure', 'next Van Dijk'............then, 3 hours later when he hadn't signed yet - 'ah well he's shit anyway', 'overrated' blah blah blah

I know the sentiment of what you are saying but it's not fair to lazily say "classic VT lol". There were a lot of people doing that, but there were plenty more in support of the deal urging it to get done. I also think a lot of those negative posts were a daft emotional defense stance in case he didnt sign rather than an attack on Mings himself. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I know the sentiment of what you are saying but it's not fair to lazily say "classic VT lol". There were a lot of people doing that, but there were plenty more in support of the deal urging it to get done. I also think a lot of those negative posts were a daft emotional defense stance in case he didnt sign rather than an attack on Mings himself. 

I didn't say it was "classic VT lol" ;)

Maybe next time we're in a similar situation the silly comments will be a little less prevalent, though I don't hold much hope on that given the age we reside in.

• Like 1

On 16/10/2019 at 13:20, avfcDJ said:

We are blessed. Mings, Grealish, McGinn....

Not bad at all.

The three that Alan Brazil is saying Utd should go all out to sign!!  Lets hope big Wes and Nas tell those horrible Glazers where to go if they come knocking!

Â