Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, Pez1974 said:

Sometimes players click with a club; sometimes they don't. For a host of reasons, Mings never clicked with Bournemouth, but you could see how it worked here.
We are lucky to have this player, leader and person at our club.
And we are lucky to have the same for our country's national team.

FWIW - I obviously have no idea if this is something you can 'scout' - people talk about Guardiola and Klopp needing the right person as much as the right player - and if Deano, Pitarch and co have the ability to get this element right, then we are very, very lucky indeed.

Bill Shankly and Bob Paisley in their day, made a big play on "character", so did Cloughie and our own Ron Saunders.

Personally......I don't think you can value this enough.....nowhere near enough.

its Paramount in a successful team.

Tyrone has bucket loads.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Genuine questions to those doubters from the summer - do any of you still believe we overpaid and, as was written on more than one occasion, “had our pants pulled down” over Mings’ fee? There’s still a while before enough games have been played to be conclusive, but do you agree the ‘overpaying’ slur is looking less accurate?

While Tyrones performance was good, it certainly needs to be tested against better opposition because they were awful. Czech Republic would of been a better time for Mings as we got out played, a real time for Mings to shine.

Mixed reviews from Bournmouth fans, some saying it's strange he couldn't get into there squad while other saying it's a mistake that's going to cost them letting him go, I would agree with the latter.

Big is always better at the back in the world of football.

The media can always help a player out in his career if he's been playing good. There should be nothing but positives in the media about Tyrone and because he faced the racists, well let's just say he will now quickly be wanted again in that England squad. According to many he's  now a hero who faced down the scum of the planet and for the people behind the scenes and in charge of the England squad, who better to have than a good looking brute of a man who has just had his debut and denied a binch of Racists there day.

Tyrone is very much the man going forward as a CB a d the only way I see him losing it now is if he plays awful or gets injured. The first won't happen, although prone to a mistake or two he really is the better option to the other CB's and they will now have to up there game to try and displace King T.

Edited by Dave-R

9 hours ago, brommy said:

Genuine questions to those doubters from the summer - do any of you still believe we overpaid and, as was written on more than one occasion, “had our pants pulled down” over Mings’ fee? There’s still a while before enough games have been played to be conclusive, but do you agree the ‘overpaying’ slur is looking less accurate?

just had a look through around the time we signed him (from around page 145) and not one person said we overpaid or had pants pulled down. and certainly no doubters...so i'm calling fake news sir. england cap already? no chance we overpaid...in fact he's looking like an absolute steal.

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

just had a look through around the time we signed him (from around page 145) and not one person said we overpaid or had pants pulled down. and certainly no doubters...so i'm calling fake news sir. england cap already? no chance we overpaid...in fact he's looking like an absolute steal.

I believe it was around 3-4 weeks or more before we signed him that the people who questioned his worth would of posted all this. You might want to go abit earlier than is actual signing, not that there is anything wrong with any of it. It could of easily gone the other way with Tyrone, it's just that it didn't and many of us seen his worth from the get go.

There were those that were against paying the 20 mill price tag, that were calling the others abit crazy for wanting to pay 20 mill. There were those as well that said he were worth about 12 mill, others 15 mill, They also said we shouldn't be held to ransom by bournmouth and in a way they were right on that bit but when they were saying we shouldnt pay no more than 15 mill and we should just walk away and find better, was totally daft in my eyes.

You see while they maybe of slateing the worth of Tyrone, imagine if they had of been right, we wouldn't of heard the last of it around here.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dave-R said:

There were those that were against paying the 20 mill price tag, that were calling the others abit crazy for wanting to pay 20 mill. There were those as well that said he were worth about 12 mill, others 15 mill, They also said we shouldn't be held to ransom by bournmouth and in a way they were right on that bit but when they were saying we shouldnt pay no more than 15 mill and we should just walk away and find better, was totally daft in my eyes.

You see while they maybe of skating the worth of Tyrone, imagine if they had of been right, we wouldn't of heard the last of it around here.

At the time I believed his value was 15 mill at most, which was correct I feel based on his injury record a d only having 5 months in the championship as a centre back. I was still fine with paying 20 mill though as his signing was always going to be vital to our chances and so to Villa his value was more at least 20 mill really. 

Now he has surely added 10 mill on to that 20 to 26 already, and so long as he stays fit will probably be 3 times what we paid for him.

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

There was plenty of it, I clearly recall comments along the lines of ‘ah well he’s injury prone anyway’, ‘will probably be found out in the PL’, £25M is way too much’ etc etc

All because he hadn’t signed immediately.

It defo happened.

• Like 2

Thing is if we knew back then what we know now about Tyrone now, it would be very easy to say we were the ones that have had Bournmouth's pants down on that fee and really they well and truly know it.

6 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

At the time I believed his value was 15 mill at most, which was correct I feel based on his injury record a d only having 5 months in the championship as a centre back. I was still fine with paying 20 mill though as his signing was always going to be vital to our chances and so to Villa his value was more at least 20 mill really. 

Now he has surely added 10 mill on to that 20 to 26 already, and so long as he stays fit will probably be 3 times what we paid for him.

I don't think there was anything wrong with it all. Some were worse Over signing Tyrone than others who were being just cautious which I could understand considering there were also those panicking over the money we had to spend as well.

It's those that wouldn't even entertain it for a brief second and who thought Tyrone would be a bad signing for us. I mean he had proven in the championship what a man, a player he was and no matter who went up with us after our play off win or who we brought in after, all our players were going to have a tough time adapting to life in the Premier.

I wouldn't say there were haters, I would however say there were doubters of who Tyrone could become in the prem, Mings simply wanted to play football and when he arrived at Villa those who doubted him should have seen from his championship season with us that he was more than capable of being better. Mings was the man that settled things at the back for us in the championship, if anyone deserved 20 mill spent on them it was Tyrone.

Besides all that Tyrone talk was going on at the time others were questioning about champ clubs talking about there players worth and the fact they were not worth a minimum of 20 million. There were also those that were saying championship clubs were going off there head charging 20 mill for there star players. It really was easy to say Tyrone was worth every bit of 20+mill when champ clubs had increased there prices. Last transfer window came to a point that champ clubs were not prepared to let there star players go for anything less than 20 mill because those players were to valuable to them, I understood that and if Tyrone was important to Bournmouth instead of being surplus, we would of more than paid double for Tyrone.

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

There was plenty of it, I clearly recall comments along the lines of ‘ah well he’s injury prone anyway’, ‘will probably be found out in the PL’, £25M is way too much’ etc etc

All because he hadn’t signed immediately.

It defo happened.

fair enough...believe you...yeah it did get rather silly with the incessant #announcemings stuff. imagine if it hadn't worked out after all that? so pleased it has though :)

Â