Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

250k bonus to bournmouth as mings made a England cap.

I'm fine with this as we paid 20m for him while united laid 80m for Maguire.

Yeah, I have no problem with us paying bonuses for players having performed excellent for us.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

250k bonus to bournmouth as mings made a England cap.

I'm fine with this as we paid 20m for him while united laid 80m for Maguire.

Yeah me too. I'd guess his 'value' went up by more than £250k last night anyway.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Philosopher said:

Agree with everything except I don't believe he had any issues with Eddie Howe. Mings is to me very mentally strong, and a leader, we just need to look after his body. The mind is strong! Also Terry is right footed with a good left foot, that played on the left.

So I've heard differing accounts on this (and have no inside info, so happy to be corrected). I think Mings left Bournemouth on good terms, because Howe and Mings are both decent men. But, reading between the lines, there was a bit of a personality clash there. Mings feels something at Villa that he never felt at Bournemouth. I wasn't questioning his mental strength, more his happiness. He seems noticeably happier here.

You're right about Terry. I clearly remember him pinging long diagonals about with his left foot, but yeah he took that famous Champions League pen with his right foot didn't he... still, couldn't pick a better defensive mentor for Mings. I'd love to find out later in his career when he does his autobiography (which will be a hell of a read, no doubt) how much credit Mings gives to DS and JT for his development.

21 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

So I've heard differing accounts on this (and have no inside info, so happy to be corrected). I think Mings left Bournemouth on good terms, because Howe and Mings are both decent men. But, reading between the lines, there was a bit of a personality clash there. Mings feels something at Villa that he never felt at Bournemouth. I wasn't questioning his mental strength, more his happiness. He seems noticeably happier here.

You're right about Terry. I clearly remember him pinging long diagonals about with his left foot, but yeah he took that famous Champions League pen with his right foot didn't he... still, couldn't pick a better defensive mentor for Mings. I'd love to find out later in his career when he does his autobiography (which will be a hell of a read, no doubt) how much credit Mings gives to DS and JT for his development.

I think Mings totally fell in love with the Villa. I remember seeing him signing autographs when he had a ban last season - you could just tell he wanted 'in' - hook line and sinker. 

5 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The country is years behind us. Think of England in the 70s and you have Bulgaria.  Police / Politicans don’t care in my opinion. 

What changed here is we had a lot of immigration from the WI and South Asia so kids in the 70's grew up with the kids of immigrants and realised they weren't bad people. That means racism here while sadly not extinct is much diluted and will continue to be so. Bulgaria hasn't had any immigration like that so still hold 19th century views

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paddywhack said:

Yeah me too. I'd guess his 'value' went up by more than £250k last night anyway.

Feels good to have people at the club that actually know how to run a club and create smart business

• Like 1

3 hours ago, His Name Is Death said:

I think it's been shown many times that people don't need to physically meet black people to be prejudiced against them.

They are the main culprits. My late mother in law had all sorts of racist views (regular Daily Mail reader). She lived in a Devon village, and had never met a non-white person in her life. In my experience, that sort of attitude is far less prevalent when you've actually met the scary 'others', and realised they're just the same as you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Showed what a strong character he is last night.....His football was assured too.

I was impressed by his calm approach to things and at the same time showing that look of steel.

I think he is going to be a really big player, in more ways than just his stature.

• Like 1

Sometimes players click with a club; sometimes they don't. For a host of reasons, Mings never clicked with Bournemouth, but you could see how it worked here.
We are lucky to have this player, leader and person at our club.
And we are lucky to have the same for our country's national team.

FWIW - I obviously have no idea if this is something you can 'scout' - people talk about Guardiola and Klopp needing the right person as much as the right player - and if Deano, Pitarch and co have the ability to get this element right, then we are very, very lucky indeed.

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

They are the main culprits. My late mother in law had all sorts of racist views (regular Daily Mail reader). She lived in a Devon village, and had never met a non-white person in her life. In my experience, that sort of attitude is far less prevalent when you've actually met the scary 'others', and realised they're just the same as you. 

This is absolutely true. I moved to The Highlands a couple of years ago and I’ve lost count how many times I’ve heard stuff along the lines of, “If you’re from Birmingham, how come you’re not black.” One bloke seriously said that he thought 90% of people from Brum we’re black. My response that it’s probably the other way round and that it doesn’t matter either way, seemed to genuinely amaze him  

Now I don’t think for a minute that he or people up here in general are racist, but there’s a lack of experience of meeting many people that aren’t white. This obviously effects how people perceive other areas and the people who live there. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

This is absolutely true. I moved to The Highlands a couple of years ago and I’ve lost count how many times I’ve heard stuff along the lines of, “If you’re from Birmingham, how come you’re not black.” One bloke seriously said that he thought 90% of people from Brum we’re black. My response that it’s probably the other way round and that it doesn’t matter either way, seemed to genuinely amaze him  

Now I don’t think for a minute that he or people up here in general are racist, but there’s a lack of experience of meeting many people that aren’t white. This obviously effects how people perceive other areas and the people who live there. 

Yep, get the exact same thing speaking to anyone about London. People think it's an ethnic warzone. Knife crime round every corner. It's just fear of the unknown, and a lot of very irresponsible journalism.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pez1974 said:

Sometimes players click with a club; sometimes they don't. For a host of reasons, Mings never clicked with Bournemouth, but you could see how it worked here.
We are lucky to have this player, leader and person at our club.
And we are lucky to have the same for our country's national team.

FWIW - I obviously have no idea if this is something you can 'scout' - people talk about Guardiola and Klopp needing the right person as much as the right player - and if Deano, Pitarch and co have the ability to get this element right, then we are very, very lucky indeed.

I think you can, but it's not something you can easily do with the data analytics or match footage that a lot of clubs rely on for scouting. Need to do good old fashioned background research, meet the player, dig up the gossip from people who know him, etc.

What Dean Smith is obviously good at is building that club culture of "be a good teammate", which is something Klopp is also very good at, and Ferguson and Clough before him. It's all about playing for the team, not thinking you're bigger than the club, and rewarding players who bring that mentality on to the field, while not pandering to prima donnas.

It's also reflected in the way we have signed players who are connected in some way - ex-Brentford, or ex-Brugge, or playing together at international level. All those little connections help the club find out about a player's character.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I think you can, but it's not something you can easily do with the data analytics or match footage that a lot of clubs rely on for scouting. Need to do good old fashioned background research, meet the player, dig up the gossip from people who know him, etc.

What Dean Smith is obviously good at is building that club culture of "be a good teammate", which is something Klopp is also very good at, and Ferguson and Clough before him. It's all about playing for the team, not thinking you're bigger than the club, and rewarding players who bring that mentality on to the field, while not pandering to prima donnas.

It's also reflected in the way we have signed players who are connected in some way - ex-Brentford, or ex-Brugge, or playing together at international level. All those little connections help the club find out about a player's character.

Ferguson was ruthless with that sort of thing. Throwing superstars out of the club if their attitude didn’t fit the team. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think a lot of the confusion lies with the fact that very few people are "genuinely racist" and that racism as a whole really just stems from ignorance and not any character defect or maliciousness. The sooner we stop thinking holding racist/ignorant ideas is some kind of character killer and not just something that can be corrected with a bit of education/experience, the better. Instead we have to walk on eggshells to avoid calling out racist behaviour which ultimately hinders from improving the situation.

• Like 3

Just now, Keyblade said:

I think a lot of the confusion lies with the fact that very few people are "genuinely racist" and that racism as a whole really just stems from ignorance and not any character defect or maliciousness. The sooner we stop thinking holding racist/ignorant ideas is some kind of character killer and not just something that can be corrected with a bit of education/experience, the better. Instead we have to walk on eggshells to avoid calling out racist behaviour which ultimately hinders from improving the situation.

Bang on. The Twitter mob "once a bigot, always a bigot" attitude is part of the problem, digging up things people have said decades ago. People mature and evolve. Not all people, mind, but it's definitely possible to be ignorantly - even proudly - racist at some point in your life, and then to reflect on it and fix it.

This is why it's so important that people see stuff like this being dealt with assertively on TV by players of all ethnicities in a mature way. Stuff like this makes people think and in some cases will genuinely change minds.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Bang on. The Twitter mob "once a bigot, always a bigot" attitude is part of the problem, digging up things people have said decades ago. People mature and evolve. Not all people, mind, but it's definitely possible to be ignorantly - even proudly - racist at some point in your life, and then to reflect on it and fix it.

This is why it's so important that people see stuff like this being dealt with assertively on TV by players of all ethnicities in a mature way. Stuff like this makes people think and in some cases will genuinely change minds.

It's a very nuanced discussion which Twitter is just not equipped to deal with. You can only have binaries when constricted to 280 characters. On one hand, it's not fair to brand someone for life without knowing how they've changed. But equally, it needs to be brought to light and discussed and the person in question needs to clarify how they've grown since then. Like Liam Neeson for example. He almost killed a black person due to his ignorance. There's no statute of limitation for that. But at the same time, he deserves a chance to explain himself. 

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

That's it. As an inner city Brum lad I hate plenty of people of black, Pakistani and Indian decent but that's because they are absolute nob ends, nothing to do with what colour, race or religion they are. Likewise I have plenty of friends from the same backgrounds

Â