Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

27 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I'm going Bulgaria in June as well. First time but I'm hoping a few mindless idiots dont represent the people as a whole which I am sure isn't the case.

I have a couple of Bulgarian friends. Lovely people. They don't really have people of colour out there, most of them have no concept of prejudice based on skin colour. They have prejudice towards some of their neighbours like Russia (for obvious reasons), generally racists are a small minority like here, but they're not PC out there! They is corruption out there for sure, like all of those Eastern European countries.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

he lost his place to Nathan ake

as good as mings has been for us and as maybe good a contest that is right now I can understand why Bournemouth cashed in on him, ake's a great player and younger

i dont get this thing about right CBs having to be right footed and left CBs having to be left footed. sure, it's an advantage, but teams surely have been playing with 2 right footed CBs for years. i think mings would walk into the bournemouth team right now and play alongside ake

If you look at it as a biased Villa fan, Mings over Laporte, Mings over Matip, Mings over Maguire, Mings over Vertongen, Mings over the whole of the Arsenal defense, Mings over the Chelsea CB's. For me the best left sided centre back in the premier league. Just needs this and another season to polish his game.

I really like Mings but he still has some way to go to be mentioned among the best CB's in the league IMO.

Guy has about 16 (not counting short cameos and 1 min sub appearances) top division games in his career, 1 cap and no European experience.

The quite promising 8 PL games this season is a rather small sample.

There is still a lot to learn and experience, but he's getting there.

If he can stay fit and continue on the path he's on, cut out those moments when he get's a bit too cavalier on the ball stay as wonderfully level headed as he is he will become a truly great defender.

Hopefully for us.

Scary and interesting couple of games against Plop and City coming up.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I thought that about Delph. 

I always though Delph's change of heart had more to do with the club signing his replacement before he had left and couldn't afford to keep both. I thought it was classic Lerner ineptitude. With Delph as the scapegoat.

1 hour ago, sne said:

I really like Mings but he still has some way to go to be mentioned among the best CB's in the league IMO.

Guy has about 16 (not counting short cameos and 1 min sub appearances) top division games in his career, 1 cap and no European experience.

The quite promising 8 PL games this season is a rather small sample.

There is still a lot to learn and experience, but he's getting there.

If he can stay fit and continue on the path he's on, cut out those moments when he get's a bit too cavalier on the ball stay as wonderfully level headed as he is he will become a truly great defender.

Hopefully for us.

Scary and interesting couple of games against Plop and City coming up.

This is true which is why I said another season after this to polish his game and started with biased villa fan!

He has it all though. Leadership, hardwork, determination, height, strength, speed, technique, aggression, composure. All he needs is games to prove it and iron out the odd bad decision.

• Like 1

Proud of Mings last night - very solid performance albeit against a very poor team, and seemed to install a leadership into that defence that had been lacking. Shame that his England debut was blighted by mindless racism but he dealt with it in a typically professional way. The thing I love most about him is his intelligence, whenever he is interviewed like after the game last night he is always so well spoken and clearly thinks through everything he says without prejudice. Very good role model to young kids in my opinion.

Going on last night's performance I think he can win many more caps for England and he has a very good chance of cementing his place alongside Maguire - they seemed to forge a decent partnership last night. But we'll see a lot more what he can do at international level when we play stronger teams next month. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Philosopher said:

I have a couple of Bulgarian friends. Lovely people. They don't really have people of colour out there, most of them have no concept of prejudice based on skin colour. They have prejudice towards some of their neighbours like Russia (for obvious reasons), generally racists are a small minority like here, but they're not PC out there! They is corruption out there for sure, like all of those Eastern European countries.

Surely this is bollocks? Poland doesn't really have people of colour either - an ex-Soviet bloc like Bulgaria - but it would be laughable to say most of them have no concept of racism or "prejudice based on skin colour".

Edited by His Name Is Death

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

he lost his place to Nathan ake

as good as mings has been for us and as maybe good a contest that is right now I can understand why Bournemouth cashed in on him, ake's a great player and younger

In all fairness if you read the Bournemouth fans forum now there is a lot of regret among many of them that they sold him. Ake's an outstanding defender of course, but I don't understand the idea that two left footed centre halves can't play together. His injury problems also didn't help him there, and touch wood he can keep himself fit for us as he's a vital part of our team now.

1 minute ago, His Name Is Death said:

Surely this is bollocks? Poland doesn't really have people of colour either - an ex-Soviet bloc like Bulgaria - but it would be laughable to say they have no concept of racism or "prejudice based on skin colour".

Most of them don't even consider it as they have never met a black person!

10 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Most of them don't even consider it as they have never met a black person!

I think it's been shown many times that people don't need to physically meet black people to be prejudiced against them.

Have they not seen them on TV and in films? They've made no comments or 'jokes' about them whatsoever?

Edited by His Name Is Death

21 minutes ago, His Name Is Death said:

I think it's been shown many times that people don't need to physically meet black people to be prejudiced against them.

Have they not seen them on TV and in films? They've made no comments or 'jokes' about them whatsoever?

This is true in the sense that they can be influenced by stereotypes and so on. But face to face in person the majority won't see you as any different to any other stranger. Racist behaviour like what we saw last night is tribalism in nature. Most on their own would never be racist to anothers face. This is one of small minded cowardice aspects this particular form of racism.

Still weird to think that Mings has been here less than a calendar year and has already cemented his place in Villa folklore. Loved the way he handled a difficult situation last night, he forced the issue during the game and was full of dignity afterwards. He's a class act. 

• Like 3

Â