Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Rob182 said:

I don’t know if I’d say I’m hung up on the fee, but I do think £20m is pricey for him (if that is actually the fee). I’d have preferred £15m rising to £20m with add-ons.

In the grand scheme, a £5m difference is nothing nowadays, but I just feel that £15m was his worth - considering all his pros (we love him, he seemed solid in the Championship, he ‘gets’ Villa) and cons (little Prem experience, potential injury concerns), and I’d have been happy for us to throw an extra £5m their way if he makes so many appearances/ clean sheets/ England caps etc.

Ah well. Get him in! Future Villa legend when he wins us a cup 😁🤞

I'd have liked 1m with add ons but it ain't my money so I don't care, great to have him back,. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

What's this " we are paying ". Are deductions coming out of your wages at work to cover this. ? I never get fans getting their knickers in a twist over transfer fees. These sums of money in football are other worldly.  The likes of us don't live in this world. He's a great player. Done great for us. Im delighted. Fee ? Don't care.

Quite.

At the price quoted it is a bit overpriced even in the current market, in that we could probably got someone a similar ability for less, BUT it's more than his ability, we need the spine of the team from last season to go in to the coming season to give some continuity. Ultimately Bournemouth knew this aswell as Smith and the owners, hence why they have been able to command a high fee.

26 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

🤔 so when you say "we" it's ok but if I say it, I'm suggesting that I'm directly paying out of my own pocket ? 

Bizarre thinking going on right there.

I'm pretty sure FFP is still an issue for premier league teams ? So over paying 25% for players will be an issue for Aston Villa football club.

Same arguments happened on relegation and spent 50 or 60 million, then all of a sudden it's an issue after people wanted us to just chuck money at every target.

We need 6 or 7 more players for the 1st team squad at least, not sure aston villa football  club ( didn't want to suggest I owned the club be saying 'we' ) can afford to over pay 25% on another 6 or 7 players without it effecting things.

Do you not think the Owners and Head Coach weigh up these things, together with what else is available to a newly promoted Club, and together with considerations like the need to not have a bigger turnover in players than absolutely necessary, the knowledge of what they are getting, and the other money they know they need to spend ?

Because I’m going to stick my neck out and say they do.

6 minutes ago, terrytini said:

How any Villa fan, after watching us go kamikaze Centre Back - wise into last season, (;which nearly meant NONE of this happening !) can NOT be thoroughly delighted we’ve got this sorted is utterly beyond me.

👏 👏 Great words softly spoken, well done 

7 minutes ago, swollef said:

Not for me.., Jack leads the team out and calls heads/tails...T hen Mighty Mings roars from the back whenthe game gets underway

Get what you’re saying but my reasoning is this- we’ve come from the championship where we were winning 3-4 games out of 5. Jack was one of the best technically in the league. We could have the luxury of a ‘lead-by-example’ captain.

Now I reckon for the first season in the Prem we’re gonna get battered by 3 out of 5. We need someone as captain who is gonna be able to marshall a team with low morale, and dish out a verbal kicking or two when the time requires. 

As much as I love Jack, of course.

Just now, HKP90 said:

Get what you’re saying but my reasoning is this- we’ve come from the championship where we were winning 3-4 games out of 5. Jack was one of the best technically in the league. We could have the luxury of a ‘lead-by-example’ captain.

Now I reckon for the first season in the Prem we’re gonna get battered by 3 out of 5. We need someone as captain who is gonna be able to marshall a team with low morale, and dish out a verbal kicking or two when the time requires. 

He can and will do that without an armband though.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Do you not think the Owners and Head Coach weigh up these things, together with what else is available to a newly promoted Club, and together with considerations like the need to not have a bigger turnover in players than absolutely necessary, the knowledge of what they are getting, and the other money they know they need to spend ?

Because I’m going to stick my neck out and say they do.

Just like the previous 2 owners ?

Just now, a m ole said:

He can and will do that without an armband though.

Fair point. We need leaders throughout obviously. Think we’re short in this regard atm. Need a ball winning midfielder.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

You would drop a Captain who has never lost a match and whose appointment coincided precisely to us getting promotion ? Brave man !

7 minutes ago, terrytini said:

How any Villa fan, after watching us go kamikaze Centre Back - wise into last season, (;which nearly meant NONE of this happening !) can NOT be thoroughly delighted we’ve got this sorted is utterly beyond me.

Not seen anyone on here at least, who isnt happy we are signing him ,? Who are these people you talk of ?

Just now, brummybloke said:

Not seen anyone on here at least, who isnt happy we are signing him ,? Who are these people you talk of ?

Are you thoroughly delighted ? It didn’t come across. My bad, as they say.

1 hour ago, brummybloke said:

8 million and played probably less in 3 years for them than he has for us.

And we are paying a reported 20 million ?

We've been bum raped if it is not 12 to 14 at most with possible 6 more if he plays 100 games.

He was replaced in Jan and thrown out on loan as surplus as always broken.

Love the guy, hes found his true spiritual home but sweet baby jesus that's a stupid amount.

Must’ve been this.

How silly of me failing to realise this was your way of expressing your “ thorough delight “...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

Are you thoroughly delighted ? It didn’t come across. My bad, as they say.

That we have signed him? I've said nothing negative about him signing as a villa player.

I've merely expressed my opinion on the fee involved.

That's nothing to do with the player or that he is a villa player.

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

Must’ve been this.

How silly of me failing to realise this was your way of expressing your “ thorough delight “...

Your poor attempts at sarcasm are just that poor. Your blind reading only seeing what you hope will prove your wrongful point is just as poor.

Never mind 🙄

6 minutes ago, terrytini said:

You would drop a Captain who has never lost a match and whose appointment coincided precisely to us getting promotion ? Brave man !

Different circumstances, different test. 

It was as much Jack’s return to the side which sparked the crazy winning spree as his captainship, and you’d best believe Jack doesn’t need motivation to play for the Villa.

It”s not a game of Football Manager.

’Pants down’, ‘bum raped’ ... such strong terms without even knowing the full details. At the current reported prices for players, if Mings does okay-ish in the PL for us, the supposed fee is okay; decent or above and £20m is a relative bargain.

Even those fixated on fees should at least wait until Mings has performed (or not!) for a Villa PL season before making such prematurely extreme declarations.

Considering we could have bought him outright for ~8 million in January and considered that too much of a risk, to spend 20-25 million on him now is mind boggling.  I love Mings and think he can potentially be a club legend and an England international, if he stays healthy this season, but FFS...  20+ million for a player with serious injuries in his past and who has only played 4 months of solid football over the past 3 seasons??? Bournemouth won the lottery here.

Â