Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

Rio Ferdinand signed for Man Utd for £30m some 17 yrs ago. He had a massive impact on Utd. Tyrone obviously isn’t as good, but he is the type we need and could have a big impact on us. I’m not saying premier league titles, but if he stays fit I could see him making us an established prem team again and hopefully see us lift a trophy. He is the embodiment of what we need, an organiser of the defence, a leader of men. Young enough to stay long term, great personality it seems, drive to succeed and to want to get better. He’s had his years of disappointment with his injuries and will now be striving to get into England team, which I think if he continues the form of last season he could do easily. Can’t wait for this one to be announced 

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I see some are still hung up on fees. 

The game has moved on in 3 years. We've not just dipped our toe into the twilight zone, the entire league has fell head first into it. £20m as a general rule buys you a solid Premier League player, if that's all he is then we have done fine. 

Could we have found our Willy Boly for £10m instead? Maybe. But in Mings we know exactly what kind of player and individual we are getting. He gets to continue his development under JT, there's no bedding in period and we as fans get one of our 'heroes' back in the fold. If it was £15m would I have been happier? Marginal at best when we are talking about spending nigh on 10 times that this summer. 

The game is gone, the global economic system is broken, but Tyrone Mings IS an Aston Villa player. Take the wins when they come. 

I don’t know if I’d say I’m hung up on the fee, but I do think £20m is pricey for him (if that is actually the fee). I’d have preferred £15m rising to £20m with add-ons.

In the grand scheme, a £5m difference is nothing nowadays, but I just feel that £15m was his worth - considering all his pros (we love him, he seemed solid in the Championship, he ‘gets’ Villa) and cons (little Prem experience, potential injury concerns), and I’d have been happy for us to throw an extra £5m their way if he makes so many appearances/ clean sheets/ England caps etc.

Ah well. Get him in! Future Villa legend when he wins us a cup 😁🤞

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I don’t know if I’d say I’m hung up on the fee, but I do think £20m is pricey for him (if that is actually the fee). I’d have preferred £15m rising to £20m with add-ons.

In the grand scheme, a £5m difference is nothing nowadays, but I just feel that £15m was his worth - considering all his pros (we love him, he seemed solid in the Championship, he ‘gets’ Villa) and cons (little Prem experience, potential injury concerns), and I’d have been happy for us to throw an extra £5m their way if he makes so many appearances/ clean sheets/ England caps etc.

Ah well. Get him in! Future Villa legend when he wins us a cup 😁🤞

As you already answered,£5m in Premier League terms, at least to what appears to be an ambitious club, is a pittance. It's barely worth commenting on in my opinion*. It certainly isn't going to stop us going after other targets.

*And it is juts my opinion, people are free to discuss what they like. The hand wringing at times is excruciating to me, that's all. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

12 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

I'm so happy!

He is utterly vital and will, without doubt in my mind, follow in the footsteps, (but never overtake), God in the hall of fame of Villa centre backs.

This is a case of "opposite Grealish"* - a loanee managing to become very well integrated and talismanic in his period here, thereby rendering his value to Aston Villa higher than the market price.

*if that expression makes any sense outside of my head, I'm copyrighting it!

Injury prone or just unlucky with injury?

I’d say the latter. 2 serious injuries, but other than that he’s not had niggly little injuries you’d associate with ‘injury prone’ players. 

It’s his time to shine in the Prem with us now. 

Â