Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

His injury record is the thing that concerns me for the money we're paying.

He stayed fit for us in the run in and championship is very taxing league with all the Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday match weeks.

Haven't all his injuries at Bournemouth been serious ones like ACLs, it's not like he's regularly pulling his hamstring.

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

U.K or signings from abroad? Sheffield United signed Jagielka on a free the other day, old now but been a very good CB for many years now and played for England at a few international tournaments.

Newcastle signed Fabian Schar for 3m last summer. Wolves signed Wily Boly for 10m.

I'm happy with Mings coming back but believe it or not pretty good CBs exist outside of these shores and they won't all cost 20m.

Get one of them cheapos to play alongside him and we're looking at £25m for the pair, £35m if we stay up, which is fine.

17 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Glad it's happening. Crazy price though but yay!

Pretty much my view, seems like a lot of money for a 26 year old with 17 premier league games and around 85 in the Championship. But nevertheless glad to have him based on the quality and leadership he showed last season.

7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

U.K or signings from abroad? Sheffield United signed Jagielka on a free the other day, old now but been a very good CB for many years now and played for England at a few international tournaments.

Newcastle signed Fabian Schar for 3m last summer. Wolves signed Wily Boly for 10m.

I'm happy with Mings coming back but believe it or not pretty good CBs exist outside of these shores and they won't all cost 20m.

Surely you aren’t advocating us signing Jagielka?

In regards the rest of your post, I don’t disagree and it’s clear we need to find some more value in this market from abroad, I’ve said several timed Suso needs to earn his money.

What I would say though is that Schar or Boley were in comparison to Mings gambles. Yes Mings has injury history but we know what we are getting and that’s important. Not because we can’t risk a few million but because we can’t risk not getting the right players in for that position.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Sounds to me like Bournemouth wanted 26,5 million and we held hard on 20 

its probably more like 20m initial fee, rising to 26.5m with add ons.

We are claiming the lower, they are claiming the higher possible fee.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

His injury record is the thing that concerns me for the money we're paying.

Yes it would be just like Villa to sign a player for £20M and then he gets a re occurrence of an old injury shortly after...

Unless of course this is the new Villa and while we had him on loan we found out all their is to know about those injuries and are confident he will be fine?

• Like 2

We have been shafted.... but £38m (ish) for Mings/Hause/Jota/AEG is pretty special so I’m not gonna get too hung up on the fee. Just glad it’s sorted. Would not suprise me if he is in the England squad come the Euro’s in which case that fee will double at least should anyone come knocking for him. 

Edited by Jimmyg
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Jimmyg said:

We have been shafted.... but £38m (ish) for Mings/Hause/Jota/AEG is pretty special so I’m not gonna get too hung up on the fee. Just glad it’s sorted. Would not suprise me if he is in the England squad come the Euro’s in which case that fee will double. 

When Maguire is being touted at nearly 4 times that have we really been shafted?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

£20mil is a bit steep, £15mil would have been fairer, but he was amazing last season for us and glad he's coming back. He knows Dean's set up, has a great relationship with the fans, was a great leader for us, and very rarely put a foot wrong. Yes, this was in the Championship, but he looked far too good for that league and I really hope that means he steps up and becomes a really good PL CB for us. If he does I can see an England call-up in the not too distant future.

Now I hope that we bring in another quality CB to play with him. Webster is far too expensive for an unproven player and we need to move on and find someone else imo. Cahill on a free + a punt on a foreign defender (or maybe even Janssen at Leeds) would mean we can focus all of our efforts on finding a DM, RW and GK to get us ready for Spurs. 

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

Surely you aren’t advocating us signing Jagielka?

In regards the rest of your post, I don’t disagree and it’s clear we need to find some more value in this market from abroad, I’ve said several timed Suso needs to earn his money.

What I would say though is that Schar or Boley were in comparison to Mings gambles. Yes Mings has injury history but we know what we are getting and that’s important. Not because we can’t risk a few million but because we can’t risk not getting the right players in for that position.

Jags is a bit too old even for me! He was out for ages at Everton last year but did come in and play a few games in the run in, scored v Arsenal in a 1-0 win. Like us Sheffield need to sign some experience so given he came through there I can see why Chris Wilder went in for it.

Guess Cahill would be similar for us and I think he'd be the calm head that wouild work well with Mings.

4 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

When Maguire is being touted at nearly 4 times that have we really been shafted?

Yes.... because like someone on here mentioned Bournemouth would have taken a 1/4 of that last January and he would not have had anywhere near the playing time, Last season. 

The fee for McGuire is ridiculous also... but an England centre back who was arguably one of the best defenders in the World Cup it’s kinda justified. 

Edited by Jimmyg

2 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Leicester signed Maguire for 17m from Hull.

Since then he's had two strong premier league seasons and excellent world cup. 70m is ridiculous but then Leicester have little need to sell and he's on long term contract.

• Like 1

The red tops seen to think the fee is £20m rising to £26m if we get into Europe and Mings gets an international call up. Here

If any of those 2 things happen i guess £26m will be justified. 

Boss Dean Smith always wanted to sign Mings permanently and it was simply a matter of Villa striking a bargain with the Cherries.

An offer of £20m, guaranteed and paid in stages, was accepted this afternoon.

The fee could rise if add-ons are met - including Villa reaching Europe and Mings being called up for England.

The move could be wrapped up as early as this evening as SunSport understands a medical is not required.

Â