Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

I think his style of play would come a bit unstuck against high pressing teams. There are times where I personally think he spends a bit too much time on ball, with the occasional Cryuff turn! Which is fantastic when it comes off, but I dunno, I noticed in a few games where team pressed us high up the pitch he didn't look comfortable.

Now, it might be that any defender we sign would look uncomfortable in that situation. But I think better opposition would be able to catch him out quite a lot into forcing errors. 

Though, I'm not hugely criticising him so don't get me wrong, I think he's a good player, and I would like us to sign him, he has many attributes I do like, but.... I'm just not going to be all that upset if he doesn't join. 

Yep, valid point. I would hope that he will adapt his game accordingly against better opposition, however, DS clearly favours CBs who are very good on the ball and the overplaying may well always be the risk with these kinds of defenders - just look at Stones. 

Personally, I prefer this kind of CB and I think the risks are worth taking as we will invariably have the ball less in the PL so a ball player is essential for initiating and prolonging periods of possession as opposed to the more ‘agricultural’ CB. 

We just need to get the balance right. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stewiek2 said:

Either the Barbados Advocate paper have got it wrong or he's ours...

"Aston Villa centre back, Mings" 🤔💜💙

Screenshot_20190622_190411_com.instagram.android-04.jpeg

Barbados Advocate a much more credible source than the British media 😉

2 hours ago, villan-scott said:

He’s back on UK soil from his holiday now. I’d like to see us get this wrapped up ASAP. 

I wouldn’t. Drag it out if Bournemouth are asking for £20m. 

They paid £8m for him 4 years ago and he's hardly played for them - even with inflation I cant see how he's worth £20m when his one contributing factor to his value is a 5 month spell in the Championship.

If they want £20m Id move on - £14m tops for me, and that's taking in to account how good he was in the Championship 

• Like 1

Very frustrating because if we'd have put an option to buy on the high side, Bournemouth would have accepted I'm sure.

I suspect we probably tried to stick one on around £10m and there was no benefit for them to accept. If we'd have said £16m, which looked far too high at the time it would have been signed off.

If he wants this done badly enough, a transfer request will go in. That will save us £1.5m or so.

As I said a week ago, they do want 20m. We won't pay that. I expect 16m, maybe 17m. A lot will be made up of future bonuses.

- And I know **** all about any other transfers, just lucky I know somebody with v high Bournemouth connections.

Edited by avfcDJ
  • Like 2

Â