Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

The simple fact is that we will never know if he intended to land on him. I would look at two things. 1. Did he move his foot towards him? I don't think he does. And 2 what is his reaction? He seems to go to him immediately and alert the ref/ medical team. 

From that, I would assume he hasn't meant it. But again only the player will know for sure. 

I will say this. Grealish was clearly stamped on in the playoff final last year. The ref missed it and no retrospective action was taken. Here the ref has seen it and deemed it an accident (this is assumed from him not even giving a free kick). So I don't believe he can take action if it is contained within his report. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, BOF said:

It's nothing to do with his previous. This incident is judged on its own merits. It's only afterwards you put the 2 together and it becomes a pattern. But I didn't come in here to change anyone's mind. I know better than to try.

A pattern? I'm sorry but I just don't see it. Looks completely accidental to me. Only the player knows. The ibra one looked more blatent this one looks nothing like it. 

I've watched the clip in slow motion about 50 times and I still can't decide whether there was any intent there, its inconclusive for me. 

The question is whether he was involved in a very unfortunate incident or whether he has psychotic short fuse. 

That question will only answer itself over time. 

45 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I reckon he is going to get banned anyways. Can see him getting a three game ban for that. 

Personally after seeing how our own Grealish was abused for a whole season and officials did nothing. Does it look like I even give a crap what other players are going through at the result of one of our new lads showing they are not going to be messed with.

I tell you if mings gets done for this then they should pull every record out and do every ****head who took Jack down, that's probably about a 100 fouls with about 6 of those resulting in yellow cards.

The whole system stinks and only now it's happened to someone else's player are they kicking a stink, where were they all when we were shouting it for poor Jack.

Lousy officiating that keeps tactical fouling at an all time high, w why cant we get in on it too, we mite actually start to win games with players who dont give a crap.

Alot of comments here saying it's not accidental or it is accidental, I simply say I don't care when the rest of the league is playing these similar games. They should go about there business or actually clean it up it's that simple. Sure the Ayers face is not a pretty sight,  it it's got to this in this league because of the way the league is played. If an official has seen it and said nothing then I'd say what are these officials doing, I said long before when it was happening to Grealish that they needed sorting out.

Edited by Dave-R

15 minutes ago, kiltorken said:

I've watched the clip in slow motion about 50 times and I still can't decide whether there was any intent there, its inconclusive for me. 

The question is whether he was involved in a very unfortunate incident or whether he has psychotic short fuse. 

That question will only answer itself over time. 

I did the same, then I watched it in real time a few times too.

What it made me realise was that it happened in REAL time and slow mo makes everything look worse.

In the real time incident it literally looks like a normal passage of play with an unfortunate accident.

8 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

People reasoning from slow motion replays ought to think a little deeper, in real time he had a split second to react, very hard to assign intention from that. Plus, don't get me started on his 'previous', that has little to do with this. You can see from his Ibra incident that it was pre-mediated and he had a lot more time to figure out what he was doing, has nothing to do with what happened on Saturday.

The entire VAR system and other sporting review procedures are based on watching incidents in slow motion to pick up things that couldn't be spotted clearly in real time.

So your argument doesn’t really hold up from first principles and I don’t think my understanding of football has been greatly enhanced by that little commentary.

2 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

The entire VAR system and other sporting review procedures are based on watching incidents in slow motion to pick up things that couldn't be spotted clearly in real time.

So your argument doesn’t really hold up from first principles and I don’t think my understanding of football has been greatly enhanced by that little commentary.

That's just hilarious and seems to ignore basic physics and neuroscience. 

8 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Sure, for some cases.

In cases like this, slo-mo is not representative of what is happening in real time.

I have 'stamped' (it was much milder in terms of the injury suffered by the guy than this, no studs and it was more a graze on the side of his face) on somebody once, in an almost identical situation to this one.

I can remember it vividly because it was crazy, how much can happen in just 1 or 2 seconds.

The striker was chasing a through ball. The keeper came out and it went through his legs, but he kept going and clattered the forward who fell to the floor. I was next to the striker so the keeper clattered me too, but I managed to stay on my feet but off balance. As I came over the keeper, I saw the striker on the floor and I was panicking as I knew I had to change where I was putting my floor so I didn't step on his head. As it turned out, in those 1/2 seconds where I had to work out where to put my foot, I ended up coming down on his head even though my intentions were to totally miss him. I remember my thoughts vividly and because I was thinking so hard not to hit him, and trying not to do so, it almost made it more of a certainty.

Maybe a little long-winded, but I can remember it so clearly that I sympathise with the situation here. Compare it to the Zlatan one and it's night and day.

There are too many factors for an incident like this to be judged in slo-mo. If you had replays in my case and watched me change my direction and stamp on this guy's head then you'd probably say I did it on purpose too.

Taking a very black/white view of VAR and slo-mo replays is unhelpful here. Sometimes it's useful, someone it makes it worse, like in this case. The severity of the injury also brings forward the case to bring in judge, jury and executioner.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 4

The player falls under him. Mid action. He don't see him laying on the ground beforehand. There's no time to plan an attack here. He's off balance with a forward momentum. There's no support in his back foot. There is only one option: to land on your front foot. His head/vision moves in Olvieras  direction as his front foot is  all ready bearing down. He's not the flash or a X-Men character who's able to react to the environment as if it was happening in slow motion.  I just don't see there's any time to realize the situation and possibility to execute an attack and decide to go thru with it. 

Edited by Skruff
  • Like 3

I personally would have done a gambowl or if I was feeling a little adventurous a mid air somersault/gambowl/cartwheel triple salchow, thus avoiding contact with Oliviera and pulling off extra style points.

These professional finely tuned athletes are useless, they can't do shit. Lumbering donkeys. I work in an office and sit on my arse 12 hours a day, then sleep the rest.
I know a thing or two about how to be an athlete.

Edited by rodders0223
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Sure, for some cases.

In cases like this, slo-mo is not representative of what is happening in real time.

I have 'stamped' (it was much milder in terms of the injury suffered by the guy than this, no studs and it was more a graze on the side of his face) on somebody once, in an almost identical situation to this one.

I can remember it vividly because it was crazy, how much can happen in just 1 or 2 seconds.

The striker was chasing a through ball. The keeper came out and it went through his legs, but he kept going and clattered the forward who fell to the floor. I was next to the striker so the keeper clattered me too, but I managed to stay on my feet but off balance. As I came over the keeper, I saw the striker on the floor and I was panicking as I knew I had to change where I was putting my floor so I didn't step on his head. As it turned out, in those 1/2 seconds where I had to work out where to put my foot, I ended up coming down on his head even though my intentions were to totally miss him. I remember my thoughts vividly and because I was thinking so hard not to hit him, and trying not to do so, it almost made it more of a certainty.

Maybe a little long-winded, but I can remember it so clearly that I sympathise with the situation here. Compare it to the Zlatan one and it's night and day.

There are too many factors for an incident like this to be judged in slo-mo. If you had replays in my case and watched me change my direction and stamp on this guy's head then you'd probably say I did it on purpose too.

Taking a very black/white view of VAR and slo-mo replays is unhelpful here. Sometimes it's useful, someone it makes it worse, like in this case. The severity of the injury also brings forward the case to bring in judge, jury and executioner.

Can you please stop applying common sense here.

• Haha 1

I accept it’s not exactly concrete evidence to prove his innocence, but I would have thought if the Reading players felt that it was a deliberate stamp they might have been a bit more vocal towards Mings, confronting him or whatever. As it is, no one seems to approach him at all.

Maybe it’s great restraint on their part, but there doesn’t seem to be any anger towards Mings, just concern for the injured player.

38 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

That's just hilarious and seems to ignore basic physics and neuroscience. 

Well you’d better explain that to all sporting authorities who have introduced review systems based on slomo replays.

Maybe help improve their understanding of “basic physics and neuroscience”, eh?🤣

Â