Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

7 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I agree Konsa does have a higher ceiling. But then the team could do with an experienced head back there at times. I suppose it’s catch 22

I don't think it's an issue - we can't expect Konsa and Mings to play 38 games each, especially with the congested calendar for next season. Won't be a problem finding 20+ games for each of Konsa and that experienced defender, with 30 or so for Mings and 10 or so for Hause. That'd be perfect. Not sure where it leaves Engels, and no idea if Dean will try 3 at the back again. In any case an experienced center back will help immensely.

• Like 2

Some stats from F365

Total tackles (defenders and midfielders)

Most: James McCarthy – 4.4
Aaron Wan-Bissaka is seventh, but does have a far better success percentage than McCarthy (86% : 70 %) and everyone in the history of the Premier League (unverified).

Least: Tyrone Mings – 0.5
Not necessarily a bad thing, Virgil van Dijk makes 0.6 per 90 minutes. For Mings it might be a bad thing.

https://www.football365.com/news/premier-league-numbers-and-stats-best-worst-lindelof-alexander-arnold-kepa

From what I remember he is right near the top when it comes to blocked shots thou so maybe just the style of defending he uses. Still surprising that he is last out of all defenders and midfielders in the league.

8 hours ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

I don't think it's an issue - we can't expect Konsa and Mings to play 38 games each, especially with the congested calendar for next season. Won't be a problem finding 20+ games for each of Konsa and that experienced defender, with 30 or so for Mings and 10 or so for Hause. That'd be perfect. Not sure where it leaves Engels, and no idea if Dean will try 3 at the back again. In any case an experienced center back will help immensely.

Agree, Konsa has a lot of potential and will improve even if he doesn't play every minute of every game. The lack of solid experience and leadership has been an issue with season and we will almost certainly face other hard times next season, and such a defender could be vital.  Competition for places is also very healthy. Not to mention, should injuries arise I hope we will have better back up than Hause or Engels, weather that be Konsa or the new CB himself. Finally, I believe we ought to put the progress of the team ahead of the progress of the individual. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sne said:

Some stats from F365

https://www.football365.com/news/premier-league-numbers-and-stats-best-worst-lindelof-alexander-arnold-kepa

From what I remember he is right near the top when it comes to blocked shots thou so maybe just the style of defending he uses. Still surprising that he is last out of all defenders and midfielders in the league.

Ming's is almost always our last man in the defensive line. If he is diving in for a tackle then we have screwed up big time.  

Also, Guilbert is in the top 20 for total tackles even though he has only played about 2/3rd of the available minutes. Anyone who has watched Freddy this year knows he tends to have to dive in given his poor positioning at times.

Tackles/90 in isolation is pretty much a dud for determining a defenders worth. 

Edited by Rightdm00
Added context
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I dont like my centre defenders making tackles, sign of a poor defender. 

Wonder why that stat is ok for Van Dijk but not Mings 🤔

Probably because Plop has not been leaking goals like crazy.

Yeah TheOther14 had a stat saying he's the least dribbled past defender at all those clubs so the tackling stat evidently isn't a negative thing.

He's our best defender by a mile tbh. Appreciate there's a recency bias with Konsa but he's still a good bit off the level of Mings, especially with regards intangible things like leadership etc. Think we'd have seen even better from him if he'd had a Cahill type of signing to compliment him this season.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Maldini is quoted as saying that if he has to make a tackle then he has already made a mistake. 

So Mings lack of tackles per 90 may be a good thing. 

Could be down to a successful bunch of players in front of the defenders doing there bit to keep the ball away from them so they dont have to tackle as well 😉

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Could be down to a successful bunch of players in front of the defenders doing there bit to keep the ball away from them so they dont have to tackle as well 😉

Nope, good defenders dont make tackles. SKY used to build up Carragher for his last ditch tackles as if it was an art. If he played in Italy he wouldnt have got a game in Serie B

I've never really found Mings's tackling being an issue, it's always the wanting to let the ball drop so he can get his foot on the ball and find a pass even in the most awkward positions.  Gladly he binned that in the last few games and he and us were much better defensively.  He still has good ability on the ball but needs to know when and when not to use it.

• Like 2

On 31/07/2020 at 16:11, sne said:

Probably because Plop has not been leaking goals like crazy.

It's a genuinely nonsense statistic to use against a CB. Ming's has been good, but sure he made a few mistakes...not one of those mistakes would have been avoided by him making more tackles. 

I think Mings is a huge reason that we have now been able to build a foundation to finally move forward. The difference he made coming into that 18/19 team was massive.

I think any team who come under as much pressure as we did in so many games last season, will find their players start making mistakes and errors. We’ve seen first hand how brilliant he can be. His best game last season was probably that first one at Tottenham, the blocks, clearances, everything he did was on point but the amount of pressure we came under in that second half was always going to breach us eventually.

I feel much more confident when he plays, you could hear just much how he organises the others (after lockdown with no crowd noise); Konsa has now become the same, and probably learned a lot by being alongside Tyrone. I want those 2 to be our pairing going forward now. Think they can develop into a very good PL players with the right protection infront and behind them. 

• Like 4

Mings is top class imo. Up there with the very best in the league. Alongside Grealish he kept us up when in all honesty we should have been cut adrift. Wins headers from nowhere, makes blocks he has no right to and covers up for cb and full back mistakes better than any vila defender in the last 20 years. For me as good as Konsa, Tuanzebe and Engels are they are made to look a lot better playing alongside him. Even Kourtney Hause looks like a prem cb alongside Mings! He reminds me of Laursen in that way. 

The sample size is there when it comes to some of our most at sea defensive displays..Soton at home (Engels Hause), Watford away (Konsa, Hause)..Spurs (Konsa, Hause, Engels). The Leicester injury when it went to shit after a good start..the instant transformation into a solid team against Burnley on NY day for which credit was given to the move to a back 3 rather than the fact we had Mings back heading everything and marshalling the defence. 

Like i say.. Konsa is looking good now and Im personally with the few that still like Engels but we arent talking about them as potential Prem CBs without Mings beside them imo. We'd be a norwich without him. 

• Like 1

Mings is the least of our worries. He is a good player and one of our leaders. He also has the scope to grow with the club. He could be our centre half for the next 5 years.

I really believe that our defence will improve considerably by improving the midfield and attack. Part of the improvement post lockdown was due to the much improved performances of Luiz sat just in front of them. 

• Like 2

Mings and Konsa both have at least 1 mistake in them a game that leads to chances. They're improving massively though and its not a golden age of centre halves. We need / needed to stem the flow before it gets to our defence. Far too open for most of last season.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Mings and Konsa both have at least 1 mistake in them a game that leads to chances. They're improving massively though and its not a golden age of centre halves. We need / needed to stem the flow before it gets to our defence. Far too open for most of last season.

Came in here to say Mings main problem is his lapses in concentration. He has 1/2 errors in him per game which is usually down to concentration.

As him and Konsa grow, develop and becomes more experienced in these centre half positions then these defensive lapses should iron out. They have the makings of a good partnership for me. If they start together the first game of next season, I'm a happy bunny.

He is quality but not quite top class for me. He often bails himself out of defence lapses with his pace and power; Physically he’s got to be in the top percentage of the league, he has everything.

He does also have an annoying habit of always trying to beat his man before clearing the ball, which I’m sure contributes to some of the poor balls forward. But he’s only going to get better, easy to forgot he really doesn’t have many games under his belt; Only made 17 appearances for Bournemouth in 4 years.

He’s so important to us on and off the pitch, the clear captain if Jack goes for me.

• Like 2

Â