Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

4 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I feel that some of these comments are unfair, it is worth remembering that this is Mings first season in the Premier League. Without Mings, we would still be in The Championship, I think he had that much of an impact on the side last season

I know he was injured / benched for most of it, but it is his FIFTH season in the Premier League.

On a broader point, he really needs to ditch the whole “I was working as a mortgage adviser” schtick now. He was playing for Ipswich in the Championship, aged 20, in 2013. It’s been 7 years now of high-level professional football.

The origin myth should just be the opening chapter of his autobiography, not the first thing journos still write about him. He’s hardly the first footballer to be rejected as a teenager and make their way back into the game through non-league.

I like him, but I worry that this team is still a collection of egos rather than a solid unit, and he is indicative of that at times.

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

I know he was injured / benched for most of it, but it is his FIFTH season in the Premier League.

On a broader point, he really needs to ditch the whole “I was working as a mortgage adviser” schtick now. He was playing for Ipswich in the Championship, aged 20, in 2013. It’s been 7 years now of high-level professional football.

The origin myth should just be the opening chapter of his autobiography, not the first thing journos still write about him. He’s hardly the first footballer to be rejected as a teenager and make their way back into the game through non-league.

I like him, but I worry that this team is still a collection of egos rather than a solid unit, and he is indicative of that at times.

Before this season Mings had played 17 matches for Bournemouth in the Premier League across 4 seasons, he’s hardly an experienced campaigner. I think overall, he has done well this season, particularly at the start of the season

• Like 1

In the grand scheme of things, Mings has had a good season and he is by far and away our best defender, without question (not a massive compliment). 
What I will say though is he isn't as good as I thought he was based on last seasons performances. He isn't as assured on the ball at this level and his arrogance at attempting stupid turns and lazy passes has made him look poor on a number of occasions. 

He's a Premier League player, no doubt, but he's nowhere near as good as both he thinks he is, or we thought he would be. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

In the grand scheme of things, Mings has had a good season and he is by far and away our best defender, without question (not a massive compliment). 
What I will say though is he isn't as good as I thought he was based on last seasons performances. He isn't as assured on the ball at this level and his arrogance at attempting stupid turns and lazy passes has made him look poor on a number of occasions. 

He's a Premier League player, no doubt, but he's nowhere near as good as both he thinks he is, or we thought he would be. 

presumably the manager is asking the defence to pass the ball out across the back line , something none of them really look comfortable doing , especially when teams press us  , and lets face it any manger worth his salt will have done his homework on this

For a few games Mings went back to getting rid of the ball early and looked a much better player for it  .. recently he's gone back to holding the ball and looking sloppy

• Like 2

He has turned out pretty much how I feared he would when I speculated about him this time last year.

Still our best CB by some distance but being punished time and time again by his overconfidence on the ball and the increase in skill, pace and power from the attacker putting him under pressure in the PL.

He has been worse in the air than I thought he would be thou. Not sure what is going on there, his timing seems off.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sne said:

He has turned out pretty much how I feared he would when I speculated about him this time last year.

Still our best CB by some distance but being punished time and time again by his overconfidence on the ball and the increase in skill, pace and power from the attacker putting him under pressure in the PL.

He has been worse in the air than I thought he would be thou. Not sure what is going on there, his timing seems off.

In fairness to him, I have seen loads of games where has been an absolute colossus in the air, so it may just be he's carrying an injury, or is struggling to cope with the sheer workload of backs-to-the-wall defending every single match.

He's a very good player, and provably has an impact on our results when he starts. City would have thrashed us in the Cup Final if he'd been out.

Definitely Premier League quality, definitely worth a lot of money. Still has room to grow as a leader.

5 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

In fairness to him, I have seen loads of games where has been an absolute colossus in the air, so it may just be he's carrying an injury, or is struggling to cope with the sheer workload of backs-to-the-wall defending every single match.

He's a very good player, and provably has an impact on our results when he starts. City would have thrashed us in the Cup Final if he'd been out.

Definitely Premier League quality, definitely worth a lot of money. Still has room to grow as a leader.

Yeah I think so too, and in quite a few games this season. 

Wouldn't be surprised to learn he'd been carrying injuries for most of the season. Soldiering through.

But a lot of the issues on the ground is down to him being overly confident and frankly nonchalant and stupid. He needs to cut those moments out.

There is no need for a CB to take a few extra touches with the ball and try to Cruyff turn the pressing attacker as a last man

Edited by sne

42 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I agree he's a PL player but no one will take him off our hands for £25m in the summer (maybe arsenal...)

in his current form he wont make the euros I don't think we'll sell him unless we have to

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He also praised Mings as well in the piece but I knew this would be the quotes people jumped on. All Laursen comments were fair

14 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

He's on the forbes 30 under 30 list 

Neither of these things stop that quoted tweet from being true.

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

My post has no correlation to what he does on the pitch! It will be because of his foundation and off the field stuff

Ah fair play.

Thought that was already discussed but haven't looked back through the thread.

Great achievement and top stuff from him.

When we signed him, I said that he would play for England. He hasn't looked out of place, when he's done so either. Tyrone is our defence. He organises it and it's a lot of responsibility on his shoulders. A lot of clubs, will be prepared to pay double what we paid for him, should we go down and I rather back their judgement. He would look a better and more comfortable defender, with better defenders around him. We certainly wouldn't be a defensive unit without him. Our defence is more often than not, under constant pressure, he is often our last line of defence. We're lucky to have him.

• Like 1

On 10/03/2020 at 07:42, KentVillan said:

How do you suggest he ditches it? Do you think he is the one who brings it up? I think like Jamie Vardy it’s just a natural entry point for journalists and so they ask questions about it. I personally think if he’s responded “that’s ancient history, let’s talk about the here and now” people would think he was arrogant, forgetting his roots, whatever - but I might be wrong. Is that the angle you think he should take? Or are you thinking just refuse to answer questions about it or what?

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

How do you suggest he ditches it? Do you think he is the one who brings it up? I think like Jamie Vardy it’s just a natural entry point for journalists and so they ask questions about it. I personally think if he’s responded “that’s ancient history, let’s talk about the here and now” people would think he was arrogant, forgetting his roots, whatever - but I might be wrong. Is that the angle you think he should take? Or are you thinking just refuse to answer questions about it or what?

I think he has promoted it himself a fair bit on social media, unprompted. I get that journos ask him about it as well, perhaps my original post was a bit harsh.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 1

Seeing as he's in the forbes 30 under 30 list and as a visionary leader I would say that whatever "shtick" he has is doing something for someone even if you can't see it 

If that's what he's wheeling out to inspire a load of kids in our area (he moved the foundation too when he moved) then so be it, applaud him for it don't knock him for it

Â