Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

Not ideal, guess it could have even worse.

It's expected he'll now miss fixtures against Sheffield United, Liverpool in the Carabao Cup, Southampton and, possibly, Norwich, Watford and Burnley.

As for left-back Targett, the 24-year-old trained yesterday and will be available for the trip to Bramall Lane, while Jed Steer and Keinan Davis remain the only players sidelined currently. James Chester, the club captain, is fit but lacking match minutes.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-news-tyrone-mings-17414985

You realise when he's not in the team just how much better he is than all of our defenders. Wow.

Shame on me for even slightly doubting him. Christ give me that over confidence in defence all day rather than Hause's aimless punts up the pitch. 

• Like 1

When is this guy back? We’ve been an utter shambles defensively without him. Although he was prone to the odd error here and there his general play is head and shoulders above anyone else.

Edited by Hanky
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hanky said:

When is this guy back? We’ve been an utter shambles defensively without him. Although he was prone to the ground did error here and there his general play is head and shoulders above anyone else.

Not just defensively but we miss him on the ball as well.  We are so one dimensional without passing well from the back.  Smith said he is pain-free and running at about 50%, so not sure how far off that makes him.

49 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We were still losing games when he was playing.

Mings isn't magically gonna solve everything.

Missing him does seem to have a major negative mental effect though. He is a respected figure out there who raises the chin of our young players.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We were still losing games when he was playing.

Mings isn't magically gonna solve everything.

The performances were there though.

Without Mings the defence has no structure, we don't have the ability to play out from the back and the team shape is being lost.

He won't solve it all on his own but he will make a massive difference. Personally I would play Chester against Norwich if Mings isn't back, we need a leader in there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wilko154 said:

The performances were there though.

Without Mings the defence has no structure, we don't have the ability to play out from the back and the team shape is being lost.

He won't solve it all on his own but he will make a massive difference. Personally I would play Chester against Norwich if Mings isn't back, we need a leader in there.

Performance was shit against Chelsea

Obviously it's better to have Mings in the side, but don't expect miracles when he returns. We were conceding two goals or more in most games and had (and still have) one of the worst defences in the league before his injury.

Edited by useless

3 hours ago, useless said:

Obviously it's better to have Mings in the side, but don't expect miracles when he returns. We were conceding two goals or more in most games and had (and still have) one of the worst defences in the league before his injury.

Again I think the team is more balanced and has more possession of the ball when he plays.  It's overlooked last season that while our poor form coincided with Jack being injured we also missed Tuanzebe at the back for a long period who was also comfortable on the ball.  I see the same now, while we were still struggling for points and clean sheets with Mings in the team, we were still playing a hell of a lot better all round.  I'd like to see us try 3-5-2 just to freshen things up and give the oppo something to think about because right now all they have to do is close down Heaton or either centre half so they have to boot it to Wes who unsurprisingly gets bullied out of it almost every time.  It's too easy.

His leadership is being missed big time.

Little things like the first goal on Saturday. We're also now regularly conceding from corners. Defending them is a strength with him on the pitch.

He was sloppy more with his passing and decision making but his presence on the pitch would certainly help the other CB.

That said just don't rush him back otherwise he could be out for months like McGinn is now.

Â