Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

We *need* to sign at least two centre backs, and time is bleeding away at this point. 

We’ve had a great window so far and there is plenty of time left but I do agree we need 2 centre backs and a left back and keeper and a defensive midfielder and a striker

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

2 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

We’ve had a great window so far and there is plenty of time left but I do agree we need 2 centre backs and a left back and keeper

Honestly don't really agree with the bolded on either point, but it's probably one for another thread. Agreed on what we need. 

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Honestly don't really agree with the bolded on either point, but it's probably one for another thread. Agreed on what we need. 

Why not? We haven’t lost anyone and have strengthened and we still have 2 months until the season starts 

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

Mings is unproven in my opinion. Any more than £10m is too much.

I don't think our owners will wait very long either. They seem to want to get everything sorted quickly to let Smith get the team gelled.

I think the extra patience and financial consideration might come purely from a morale perspective to be honest. Well liked by the fans already, settled into the club etc, you can't underestimate the value of that 

That being said, if it becomes a pisstake situation we have to move on.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Why not? We haven’t lost anyone and have strengthened and we still have 2 months until the season starts 

Think that’s debatable mate.

By my reckoning we’ve improved on Adomah with Jota (I think).

No idea on whether Wes is better than Tammy, although I’m feeling hopeful that he’ll be a smart signing.

El Ghazi in for El Ghazi.

I’m not too worried, I think they’ll all flood in soon. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Think that’s debatable mate.

By my reckoning we’ve improved on Adomah with Jota (I think).

No idea on whether Wes is better than Tammy, although I’m feeling hopeful that he’ll be a smart signing.

El Ghazi in for El Ghazi.

I’m not too worried, I think they’ll all flood in soon. 

I think they will too

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I'm kind of wary of coming across like an Eeyore pissing on everyone's chips, so I won't go any further than this post on this. 

We probably haven't strengthened yet at all. We lost a bunch of players, and have brought in two players who I don't think are good enough to start week in week out in Jota and Hause. El Ghazi is good, but we know his strengths and limitations. Wesley might be good, or he might not. I'm hopeful. 

My broader point here is that just a few weeks ago the teams who came up via the playoffs in 2018 and 2017 finished 19th and 20th in the PL, and both will be playing in the Championship next season. If we are to avoid the same fate, we will need to strike lucky and end up with some truly inspirational signings. Jota, Hause and El Ghazi aren't that, whatever their virtues (and I'm glad we've signed all three of them). 

Dragging this back on topic, I think Mings is a good player and obviously he fits in well at the club. I don't think there's anyone on this forum who doesn't *want* to sign him, but £20m truly is a lot of money - even nowadays - for a player who is in his mid-20's without a full season of top flight football and a somewhat spotty injury record. He's not worth an infinite amount of time, patience or money. 

In terms of time, you're right that there is nearly two months until the season starts but we don't have a settled squad - we don't even really have a squad - and we need to come firing out of the gates in August in a 38-game season; there isn't time to play ourselves into form over two or three months the way we did in the Championship over the last three years. 

Anyway, that's enough from me on this, in this thread at least. Let's hope this deal gets done quickly and for a reasonable price. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

Mings is unproven in my opinion. Any more than £10m is too much.

I don't think our owners will wait very long either. They seem to want to get everything sorted quickly to let Smith get the team gelled.

I think £15mil is fine but any more than that I agree is too much. Mings was magnificent for us last season and has a lot of great qualities - strong, good on the ball, composed, decent range of passing. He's also left-footed which is an added bonus as it gives us balance. The fact that the fans love him and he knows the club and the set-up already really helps us as well, because we're going to have to integrate a lot of new players as it is.

But he hasn't proven anything in the Prem yet. And if Bournemouth keep taking the piss we have to move on to ensure we're not left empty-handed come the start of the season. 

Just pay the damn fee, we got ourselves into this mess with loans, he has been fantastic for us and I'll be heart broke if Mings the one player doesn't end up here, he deserves a fresh start, with a club, fan base who loves him to bits.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

The fact that Hause hasn't been announced yet gives me hope that it's just a matter of time that both of them will sign.  If one had been announced and the other not, I'd be more concerned.

No to be fastidious, but what’s lead you to conclude this? I cannot follow the logic

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Mings, Tuanzebe and Abraham played for us last season. We've replaced Abraham with an unknown and lost the other 2. 

1 hour ago, GENTLEMAN said:

No to be fastidious, but what’s lead you to conclude this? I cannot follow the logic

If say the Hause transfer had been confirmed by the club and the Mings one not, then it would pretty much confirm that there are more hurdles in Mings's transfer. The fact that Hause is widely believed to have signed but the club haven't announced it means there is a chance that the Mings deal is also done, and they for whatever reason are waiting to announce them.  The logic works in my head, which isn't to say I'm making any sense.

• Thanks 1

Â