Villa Park Atmosphere

wilko154

17 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

To paragraph one it's not a load of shit. If your doing nothing with the ball for 45 minutes then the fans can't exactly be cheerful. Let's use Blose as an example we could have been two down it wasn't because eof lack of quality it was because we were absolutely shit up to that point. The fans got on at them then they got better as the game went on as they knew we expected better. 

Do you believe that the players and manager dont understand when their playing shit unless the fans boo? Also, supporting your team dosent mean you have to be cheerful. Supporting your team when things are not going well is not showing you accept mediocrity, but rather that you urge the team to do better by yourself showing some effort and believe in them.  

8 minutes ago, trom_borg said:

Do you believe that the players and manager dont understand when their playing shit unless the fans boo? Also, supporting your team dosent mean you have to be cheerful. Supporting your team when things are not going well is not showing you accept mediocrity, but rather that you urge the team to do better by yourself showing some effort and believe in them.  

I accept the point but let's be realistic its never going to happen. You can't force people to be the way you want them to be. I personally don't agree with it but they pay their money and sadly they can be as a bigger arseholes as they want to be right or wrong

Thats very true, you cant force anyone or anything. Changing the course of a culture or trend is very difficult, but it can albeit slowly. Merely accepting that things have to stay the same or even get worse is for sure not helping. But how change a negative culture? I really dont know, but maybe some supporter groups can join forces, start a hashtag, really put some efforts into creating new chants ect. Maybe the blogs and podcasts can jump on. Forum threads like this. Anything that fellow Villa fans read or consume can be a starting place for some type of change. In the end there seem to be a lot of fans who see all the negativity as hurtful for the team and club so there should be will to try to change things. 

Probably Im naive here, its just sad to see the decline of our club and the abuse and lack of atmosphere that comes with it. 

• Like 1

I think we need to study what other clubs/fanbases, which have passionate home support, actually do. Palace appear to be quite a passionate bunch and that's down to an Ultra group i believe?... Didn't we try the same thing though and it was not supported by the club due to concerns over something or other?

It is pretty dull & flat though, i used to steward in the away end for a short while (I soon stopped working in that role as you couldn't really watch the game for one &  i couldn't stand it when the away team scored with being right in among them taking the P 🤨 , you barely heard the Holte in all honesty which as a former Holte end terrace "knees up mother brown" type fan i found a tad embarrassing actually.

Edited by danceoftheshamen

For some perspective I saw an Everton fan post something along the lines of, why would Gana not rather leave than play for them with thei moronic fans.

Also, the Wolves forum had a thread about their negative atmosphere during the adverse run they had earlier in the season.

• Like 1

On 28/01/2019 at 15:13, GENTLEMAN said:

The atmosphere didn’t seem great when we were 2-0 against Leeds also. Despite being a full house and against table toppers. It’s probably performance related but we’re not a ‘support em no matter what club’

Wasn't that a Sunday game around 1pm? The atmosphere at those games are always subdued, 

16 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Happens at all clubs. Nothing to see here imo. We're under performing in a shit league with a hugely expensive squad. 

We all agree theres plenty of reasons to be frustrated and angry at the state of the club. The question is, do you think venting those frustration constantly during games  negatively affect our club and the teams performances? If the answer is yes, Id think thats something worth trying to change. The fact that it also happens at other clubs is totally irrelevant. 

Here's a letter on the Football365 mailbox from a United fan...

United fans are idiots
I am loving Ole’s return and the team’s swagger as much as any United fan.

However, with us on the up again it is impossible to read any post match fan reaction without coming across vitriol against our own players, and our self entitled a**es!

Things were better when we were sh*te, and we all agreed we were sh*te. Now it’s all about “Mata should f*ck off” or “Pereira should never be near the first team”. I’m writing this at 2AM my time – so this explains how annoyed I am with this.

After a long time I can empathise with the ABU brigade.
G (Mata is lovely) B, Dubai

4 hours ago, trom_borg said:

We all agree theres plenty of reasons to be frustrated and angry at the state of the club. The question is, do you think venting those frustration constantly during games  negatively affect our club and the teams performances? If the answer is yes, Id think thats something worth trying to change. The fact that it also happens at other clubs is totally irrelevant. 

It's an impossible thing to change though imo. The sad fact is, the past 8-9 years have been hugely disappointing for Aston Villa fans. If someone told you 10 years ago when we finished 6th that we'd be struggling to get out of the Championship in 10 years time they would have laughed their heads off. All of this disappointment just gets vented out so easily when we're watching a team struggling to make 4 passes together in a shit league. If you can change the mentality of fans who are paying a lot of money to watch a completely mismanaged club who have been playing pretty terrible football over the past however many years then all credit to you. I'm up for it and open to it. 

Edited by PieFacE

One thing we could do is give some sort of incentives to our away supporters to be in the same part of the ground next to each other when we play at home. Our away support is awesome, if they were all sat next to each other in the holte the atmosphere would be improved immediately.

• Like 2

Toxicity is going to bring morale down wherever you go. It happening elsewhere is by no means a justification for it to be accepted.

We're not in a 'shit' league. We're punching below our weight. Sometimes silence says more than words and shouting can.

That's the worst I'd expect Villa Park to be, silent. I'm of the opinion that as a supporter you should be supportive wherever you can be.

This doesn't mean tolerating poor performances, rather finding a productive way of venting your frustration.

A stadium of Villa fans shouting 'get stuck in', whether the exact words are heard by the player or not, emanates a certain kind of energy.

That energy is much better than that same stadium booing or venting their frustrations with unbecoming hollering.

• Like 2

I am trying to recall, (its difficult though!) that over the years (60's, 70's, 80's, 90's ) when I watched Villa play, when Villa had a bad game and lost, or a player was not playing well, misplaced passes etc I cannot remember if there was any booing. Maybe its a new thing since football was invented in the Premier League era when money now dominates and expectations of fans are higher.

One game stands out that is the 1981 night game against Ipswich at Villa Park and we got beaten 1 - 2. Ipswich thought they had clinched the league and Sir Ron saunders gave that famous quote ...but I dont recall any booing, obvious disapointment about the result, but in general the crowd got behind the team whatever was going on on the pitch.

Regards to all

Del

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

I am trying to recall, (its difficult though!) that over the years (60's, 70's, 80's, 90's ) when I watched Villa play, when Villa had a bad game and lost, or a player was not playing well, misplaced passes etc I cannot remember if there was any booing. Maybe its a new thing since football was invented in the Premier League era when money now dominates and expectations of fans are higher.

One game stands out that is the 1981 night game against Ipswich at Villa Park and we got beaten 1 - 2. Ipswich thought they had clinched the league and Sir Ron saunders gave that famous quote ...but I dont recall any booing, obvious disapointment about the result, but in general the crowd got behind the team whatever was going on on the pitch.

Regards to all

Del

Remember that night well. You're right I don't remember any booing, just the feeling we'd blown it. Great game though against a very good Ipswich side. Super Eric Gates goal at the Witton end

but we had the last laugh!!

Edited by pintpotvilla

12 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

It's alright, I've seen loads of whinging posts from Liverpool fans after last night.  Basically, there is a high proportion of knobs across football fans.

And this also translated to general society at whole :)

I don't think all seater stadium help either with atmosphere.. they are a party killer. The government knew very well when they enforced them that people sitting down have a different mentality and energy than a group stood together. It's like comparing a crowd going nuts at Glastonbury to a bunch of arts critics sat watching a Ballet and picking on every single mistake the dancers make. The problem is we have the Glastonbury crowd being asked to behave like the Ballet audience!!

I also think the advent of freedom of information on the Internet has something to do with it..... Everyone thinks they are an expert in everything now which is a byproduct of the "Google it" generation. This has empowered people to feel they can criticize tiny details in just about anything and has morphed into what we see at Villa Park in my opinion. Google is awash with negativity and plenty of mis-information/bad advice amongst the good. Doctors also now have to put up with a wave of "know-it-alls" questioning everything they say because some expert on Google says something different. This is the same with football, every decision a manager makes or pass a player does gets analysed and replayed over & over and posted online, this gets into people and comes out on a matchday. I don't think it's possible to stop it... the horse has bolted!

Edited by danceoftheshamen
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Part of the problem (and this isn't just a Villa thing) is that a lot of people who go to football matches know **** all about football. People who boo backward / sideways passes are the worst. People who shout at nervous youth team players who've barely broken into the squad. Or people whose only tactical shout is to lump it into the box. Or to shout foul throw. All these people belong in hell.

Hate this attitude that you buy your ticket and have paid for the right to be a whinging word removed. Those whinging words removed who sit and moan all game and then leave on 80 minutes ruin the experience for everyone sitting around them, who've also bought tickets.

Also don't buy that it doesn't affect the players. Players are human beings. They want to be loved. If you're a player who's ended up mid-table in the Championship after playing top tier football, you've probably fallen out of love with the game a bit and see it more like a job... that's where the fans can come in and turn it around. The young players breaking through need all the support they can get, before they become cynical like the old pros. The noise and passion of the fans is why some players step up a level for derby games. We need to give them that experience more often.

• Like 4

Â