Pre match thread

roonst83

Need another win to try pick oursleves up after our recent slump. It’ll no doubt be another tough and close game but we need to be winning this if we’re to have any chance of making the top six. We controlled possession and pressed well against Ipswich and need to do the same away to Reading.

Unless we bring in any strong new recruits I expect a similar starting XI to yesterday’s game. With some tough teams to come we need to be getting maximum points against Reading. May be able to counter more as the home team will want the ball. But, then again, I thought the same about our last away game at wigan. 

Tammy to become the first Villa player to score 20 league goals since the 80s? Let’s hope so. Shame about the reduced allocation for this as we always fill the 5,000 away end, but hopefully or fans will be right behind Smith and the boys to help us get the must needed win. 

Until we get Grealish and Tuanzebe back we know we’re seemingly much weaker but we have the players to take the win here and need to find a way to do so.

• Like 1

There are 17 games left now so we really need to put together a winning run. Who knows we may have begun one against Ipswich. Let's hope so.

Reading beat us 2-1 when we visited them last season. We had won on our previous 4 visits prior to that. They took a point from Villa Park earlier this season, so a win against a side that currently sits on the wrong side of the relegation trap door is necessary to go some way to make up for those home points that we dropped to them in August. Overall, we have won 11 and have drawn 1 of the 15 league games there have been between the two clubs. Let's make it a dozen wins on Saturday.

This won't be easy. They will be up for it and need the points themselves.We need to match their commitment and then let our ability win it for us. Given our brittle defence and Tammy's ability to hit the back of the net, I wonder if we could see a repeat of the 5-3 win that we recorded in 1970 in the first league meeting between the sides at Elm Park? 🤞

• Like 1

It's one we must win.  We've used up our extra lives, and we've enough tricky fixtures coming up that we need to be winning the 'on paper' ones without any excuses.  Hopefully we'll have some new bodies on-board by the time it rolls around.  A win here will have us breathing down the necks of the playoff places and give us a welcome bit of momentum.

• Like 2

Still three more sleeps. :< Wish the game was about to start now! Sometimes the next match seems to take ages to come round. McGinn needs a bit more luck than last Saturday, it's been quite a long time since he scored, hasn't it. And if only Uncle Albert could get his first of the season! :s

Easy 3 points now the heart of the Reading team has been torn out with the loss of Bacuna. Quite simply an irreplaceable player who has deservedly moved back to the upper echelons of English football. Dean Smith must be rubbing his hands with glee at this news, despite now having to te-think our entire gameplan to adjust.

• Haha 1

I think Mings will go into the squad. I think once Mings and Hause are up to speed Chester will be given some time off to recover from his injury. 

I don’t think Carroll is fit but might be worth having on the bench. DS didn’t seem to confident Green would make this one either. 

So most likely a similar team to last week.