Chindie

EA's loot grind shooter, from Bioware, has its demo/beta come out today. It's painfully obviously chasing the Destiny/Warframe dollar, and seems more than a bit tired for it.

Graphically it's nice looking and the art design is decent enough, but the game itself just seems so dull.

If nothing else, the game will be relevant as it's Bioware, the guys behind Mass Effect, and knowing EA if this doesn't absolutely fly off the shelves you'd probably not be too foolish to bet on Bioware not making 2020...

The demo/beta/network test has apparently been a complete car crash. And not just in the normal way these things usually fail. The game apparently was near impossible to log in to yesterday and even if you did manage to get in it would regularly fail after a while. Nothing too surprising there.

What makes it particularly bad is it seems the Anthem launch also managed to **** up EAs other online services yesterday, meaning even the likes of FIFA got messed up. Apparently this was caused, bizarrely, by Anthem repeatedly connecting to the EA servers, effectively meaning the game DDOSed EA, similarly to how someone might maliciously attack a website or service by overwhelming it with connections.

Also there's not many people that seem all that enamoured with the game. Couple that to the widespread discount promotion of the game ahead of launch, makes me think this might be DOA.

I tried game streaming on my Shield recently and was blown away by how well the games ran on my shity internet. I'm convinced it's the future and that consoles will cease to exist in the next 10 years. 

However, seeing a games server implode like this make me realise that we really are not prepared for it to happen anytime soon. I remember playing WoW in 2005 and seeing the servers go to shit because of the player count. I can't believe we're going to go into 2020 still having these problems. 

22 hours ago, The_Rev said:

I've never known such little hype around a game which looked like it was going to be a big deal based upon its E3 showing. 

It's because of all of EA's **** ups over the last couple years. It's very hard to get excited about a game that people expect EA to ruin somehow. 

Having played both the Alpha and now Demo/Beta of Anthem I think the game will have an audience. The game in the Demo is a lot more fun than it was in earlier builds, but it's just down to whether gamers give the game a shot because its publisher is trash. 

• 5 weeks later...

This has apparently sold like shit.

As if to underline this, Amazon seen to have 'randomly' offered a £5 off deal on it.

Also, shocker, it's bollocks.

Bioware won't be around in 18 months. I wouldn't stake much on them being around by the end of the year.

On 26/02/2019 at 17:49, Chindie said:

This has apparently sold like shit.

As if to underline this, Amazon seen to have 'randomly' offered a £5 off deal on it.

Also, shocker, it's bollocks.

Bioware won't be around in 18 months. I wouldn't stake much on them being around by the end of the year.

From a source I trust who's played it alot and loves these type of loot shooters, apparently the campaign is tedious nonsense but when you get to the end game it's supposed to be better. Problem is that everyone has given up by then. 

As for bioware they are just EA under a different brand name. Sold their soul years ago. 

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

The gameplay is what keeps this game afloat right now while the rest of Anthem is relatively poor. If you can stick with it until endgame to get all the really cool weapons, abilities and skills then there is some fun to be had here, but if you get bogged down by the tedium that is the missions, story, quest objectives, free roam and hub area then you might not make it to the cool stuff. Anthem is likely one of those games that will be transformed 6-12 months from now, so waiting to play it is likely the smarter option.

12 hours ago, Daweii said:

Anthem is likely one of those games that will be transformed 6-12 months from now, so waiting to play it is likely the smarter option.

The problem with that is the player base will be long gone by then.

The flying looks cool. But other than that, it's looks so boring. 

It's kinda amazing how Apex which EA had nothing to do with is such a more exciting game than this garbage. EA really needs to go back and think about what they are doing to games and studios they own. The whole industry is in a funny place atm.

Two types of quest, Fetch a and bring to b, or guard place from randomly spawning monster types.

Long ass loading screens.

Samey map.

Did i mention loading times.

Oh and there's the loading times, in case you hadn't heard of them :)

I tried the demo and decided that this is the reason Mass Effect was canned and that EA should really just die in a fire and do us all a favour.

Just tested the scaling "bug" in Anthem. Enemy health scales based on the weapon you're using. So if you use a Power 47 Legendary Assault Rifle it will do more damage on paper, and on screen, but the enemy has more health so it's meaningless. On the other hand equipping a Power 1 Common Assault Rifle causes you to do less "damage", but because the enemy has vastly lower health the time to kill is comparable to playing Battlefield V. I tested this on Hard, Grandmaster 1 and Grandmaster 2 and it was substantially easier to clear mobs with the Level 1 starter rifle than with my Legendary rifle. 

This game seems to be faking progression as no one is going to equip worse gear. So to the average player they get better gear, the damage numbers go up, the enemies get harder and they feel like they are progressing. This entire system falls apart though the moment you go backwards. The enemy health scales based on what you shoot them with. So the best strategy to doing the hardest content is to get a 4-man squad all using the starter weapon. Though no one should try that because BioWare are banning players for the tiniest of infractions. Anyone that discovers an exploit and tests it for longer that 10 minutes seems to get banned, so try at your own risk I guess. 

Â