Cardiff player on missing plane

Guest av1

Heard this story breaking as I was leaving for work this morning and my heart sunk as soon as it was reported they left last night rather than this morning which might've offered more of a glimmer of hope.

Amazing how one decision can alter your life. Sala was stalling on the move for weeks and you can understand given how settled he was in France and playing for a decent enough club in Nantes.

Must say I'm surprised Cardiff didn't just book him on a scheduled flight and pick him up at Heathrow or Vincent Tan just send a private jet but obviously easy to say that all now.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

As sad as this is for Cardiff it's even worse for Nantes who actually built a relationship with this player and got to know him. =(

He was a very good goalscorer for them so similar rapport to what we had with Benteke.

2 hours ago, Brumerican said:

I doubt it's for you .

The point is that at any given moment a tragedy is likely to be occurring on Earth,  which makes it pretty hard to schedule in any time for humour.

Finding humour amongst  tragedy is one of our greatest gifts IMO.

I find that’s a really sad way to look at things. Making jokes about someone’s death is distasteful in my eyes. If you humour is about a old story about the person that you knew and you wanted to remember them in all. Positive light then that’s fine.

but joking in deaths and circumstances like this for me is not ok.

Edited by Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

I find that’s a really sad way to look at things. Making jokes about someone’s death isn’t distasteful in my eyes. If you humour is about a old story about the person that you knew and you wanted to remember them in all. Positive light then that’s fine.

but joking in deaths and circumstances like this for me is not ok.

These circumstances are 24/7 , 365 or do you just pick and choose what you care about ?

22 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

You're not individualization those 150,000 deaths. If you mum died from an electric death, I wouldn't be posted I bet it was a shocking scene. 

My mom died of Cancer. 

It was my dad who died by electrocution. 

Neither occasion was much fun but I sure as shit didn't expect the rest of the world to unite in grief or pander to my feelings. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Do need to be careful, I had someone I know making jokes about Petrov and I didn't appreciate that.

There's plenty of people who are healthy and alive in the world to make jokes about after all.

Petrov is healthy and alive .

Being upset about things when they only affect you directly is understandable, but unless you've never laughed at something tragic in your entire life then it's also super hypocritical.

13 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

Being upset about things when they only affect you directly is understandable, but unless you've never laughed at something tragic in your entire life then it's also super hypocritical.

I just didn't appreciate someone making fun of someone who had cancer that's all.

Stick to our comedy figures of fun of 21st century like Trump and Theresa May.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

These circumstances are 24/7 , 365 or do you just pick and choose what you care about ?

24/7 plane crashes? Just because it's not someone directly associated to you it doesn't matter I think it's wrong to laugh or worse make jokes  at their expense.

32 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

My mom died of Cancer. 

It was my dad who died by electrocution. 

Neither occasion was much fun but I sure as shit didn't expect the rest of the world to unite in grief or pander to my feelings. 

I'm sorry for your losses but I don't think anyone panders to anyone's feelings at loss of a loved one just that they are genuinely sad of death. 

15 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

I find this attitude bizarre why we would most people with a heart laugh at a personal tragedy? 

Just now, Demitri_C said:

24/7 plane crashes? Just because it's not someone directly associated to you it doesn't matter I think it's wrong to laugh or worse make jokes  at their expense.

I'm sorry for your losses but I don't think anyone panders to anyone's feelings at loss of a loved one just that they are genuinely sad of death. 

Why are plane crashes more upsetting than any other untimely death ? More people will die on the M6 tomorrow morning . The only difference is you won't hear about them . Should we reign in the laughs just in case one of those car accidents affects somebody on this site ?

Being offended is a choice don't forget , and it's not quantifiable either. 

5 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

Why are plane crashes more upsetting than any other untimely death ? More people will die on the M6 tomorrow morning . The only difference is you won't hear about them . Should we reign in the laughs just in case one of those car accidents affects somebody on this site ?

Being offended is a choice don't forget , and it's not quantifiable either. 

That's different if I don't know about a death how can I react to it? To me I always think if that was to someone I knew friend family etc.i know I would be furious if there were people making jokes of them.

I'd certainly cut then out if my life that is for sure if it was someone I knew. I personally  find death a very sad time.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I find this attitude bizarre why we would most people with a heart laugh at a personal tragedy? 

I find your attitude beyond bizarre which is kind of the point. It's so subjective  that it just doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

Laughing at tragedy does not mean you are heartless. Far from it in fact . 

• Like 1

I laughed at a road accident once. We arrived at a scene where there were a few fatalities and our driver gave a heartfelt speech about how if it was god's plan that you die then there was nothing you could do about it. He then set off around a corner on the wrong side of the road and literally around that corner was another accident.

I laughed.

He tried to lecture me on laughing at people's fate. I put him straight on God's will potentially being dependent on driving at a sensible **** speed on the correct side of the road when you've literally seconds earlier seen two accidents and a dead person.

There's a difference between some sad sick **** trolling people, and a joke. 

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

That's different if I don't know about a death how can I react to it? To me I always think if that was to someone I knew friend family etc.i know I would be furious if there were people making jokes of them.

I'd certainly cut then out if my life that is for sure if it was someone I knew. I personally  find death a very sad time.

Everybody (mostly anyway) finds death to be a sad event , myself included, and I'm a guy who doesn't believe in an afterlife so it's not like I have the heaven placebo to fall back on .

Death sucks. Laughter helps. 

I was going to post a thought on small aircraft but was a bit concerned it may appear a bit insensitive, but as we’re discussing macabre humour I guess it’s fine.

My understanding is that these smaller planes are less safe than a “normal” sized plane anyway. But I was wondering whether we hear more about crashes involving smaller sized planes, in part, because they’re often used by the rich and famous. So an accident involving that sort of aircraft is more likely to be brought to widespread attention because the people on board are more likely to be already well known. Just wondering if that slightly distorts the perception as to how safe they are.

Anyway, like I say just a musing brought about by the the recent sad events.

• Like 2

Â