Cardiff player on missing plane

Guest av1

52 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

They got 100 million for being in the prem, + 80million in parachute payments coming up, the owner is a billionaire

£6million is nothing to them 

It's the effect on balance sheet that matters though, rather than the owner's overall wealth. But I do take your point about the parachute payments. 

• Like 1

Surely the Premier League will take this into consideration though with ffp. It's not really Cardiffs fault they are 18m down the train in relation to ffp.

But their attitude towards this stinks and they should be ashamed of themselves .

• 2 months later...
49 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Not really bothered reading up on this but if Nantes did arrange the transport then Cardiff shouldn't have to pay.

Why? Pretty sure it was found the transfer was completed which is why they’re pivoting to this argument. He could have refused transport from them and Cardiff could have organised something themselves.

If the transfer was completed they owe the money and if it wasn’t they don’t. Everything else that will be squabbled over is irrelevant.

Not sure it’s true anyway as apparently Nantes booked him a commercial flight and he didn’t take it for whatever reason so the private plane was booked.

If I was a Cardiff fan I would refuse to attend games until the fee is paid.

Utterly disgraceful, and to wipe their mouths with Sala being a Cardiff player, doing memorials for him etc and then not wanting to pay a fee... really poor. 

im pretty sure it wont the receptionist that's read over the contract, it will be a team of expensive cold hard lawyers, its utter shit but there must be something there otherwise Cardiff wouldn't risk the legal fees and the negative publicity, what that something is as an outsider looking in is impossible to tell, I really don't see it

its hard to talk about it without ending up describing it as terms of sale and transport of goods and dehumanising the whole thing but at the same time I doubt that the contract for purchasing a football player then goes on to detail the delivery of him and the legal dispute will be based on the wording of that contract

@villa4europe you can make exactly the same argument about Nantes hiring expensive lawyers and bothering to pursue the case though.

Fifa have already ruled it was completed and the money was due so this is on appeal anyway.

The only avenue for them that I can see would be to claim Sala was negligent for booking (or accepting) a flight with a pilot that should never have been signed off. This would require them suing his estate and obliterating any goodwill they may have in the bank so I can’t see them doing it.

3 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

@villa4europe you can make exactly the same argument about Nantes hiring expensive lawyers and bothering to pursue the case though.

Fifa have already ruled it was completed and the money was due so this is on appeal anyway.

The only avenue for them that I can see would be to claim Sala was negligent for booking (or accepting) a flight with a pilot that should never have been signed off. This would require them suing his estate and obliterating any goodwill they may have in the bank so I can’t see them doing it.

yep, that's a different claim, nantes would still be owed the money, Cardiff would have to recover it from elsewhere

the surprise for me in all of it, again dragging it back to a dehumanised "asset", is that there's no insurance on him

23 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

If I was a Cardiff fan I would refuse to attend games until the fee is paid.

Utterly disgraceful, and to wipe their mouths with Sala being a Cardiff player, doing memorials for him etc and then not wanting to pay a fee... really poor. 

Out of likes, but I completely agree. 

Only thing I would add is that the EFL could help here by making clear that Sala's death wouldn't negatively effect Cardiff's FFP status (unless they have, in which case ignore me). 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

the surprise for me in all of it, again dragging it back to a dehumanised "asset", is that there's no insurance on him

It does seem surprising. Only feasible explanation is that booking an illegal flight voided any insurance.

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Only thing I would add is that the EFL could help here by making clear that Sala's death wouldn't negatively effect Cardiff's FFP status (unless they have, in which case ignore me). 

This would be a very good idea to try and reduce tensions and reach a resolution. Cardiff’s owner is rich enough after all and I assume when their CEO talked about the risk of going ‘bankrupt’ if they pay he was talking in FFP terms.

On 29/01/2020 at 11:23, Dr_Pangloss said:

Not really bothered reading up on this but if Nantes did arrange the transport then Cardiff shouldn't have to pay.

Why?

If the transfer has been completed then he's Cardiff's player. Maybe there should be some sort of payment from Nantes if they were negligent in the transport, but if it was an accident then why shouldn't Cardiff pay?

If we sign Player X from Man City, contracts are signed and everything is complete, and his taxi crashes on the way to VP and he dies should we not pay?

(this might sound like I'm being facetious. I'm not, they're genuine questions)

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Why?

If the transfer has been completed then he's Cardiff's player. Maybe there should be some sort of payment from Nantes if they were negligent in the transport, but if it was an accident then why shouldn't Cardiff pay?

If we sign Player X from Man City, contracts are signed and everything is complete, and his taxi crashes on the way to VP and he dies should we not pay?

(this might sound like I'm being facetious. I'm not, they're genuine questions)

Or if I get married and fly to my honeymoon the next day, the plane crashes, does that make us not legally married?

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Cardiff City have paid French club Nantes the first instalment of the transfer fee for striker Emiliano Sala, BBC Sport Wales has learned.

After making the payment, believed to be around £7m, Cardiff expect Fifa to lift the transfer embargo imposed on the club.

Cardiff have appealed to the EFL to lift a separate embargo so they can sign players in the January window.

Sala died in a plane crash over the English Channel in January 2019.

The Argentine player was travelling from France to join Cardiff, who were then in the Premier League.

A three-window embargo was imposed by Fifa, world football's governing body, because of Cardiff's refusal to pay the first tranche of the £15m transfer fee they had agreed with Nantes for Sala.

More on link.

BBC link

10 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

More on link.

BBC link

About time. They have no one but themselves to blame for the embargo as they were always liable.

This whole episode could have been avoided if they did things properly and instead having two deaths un necessarily. Such a sad story

25 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

so presumably they weren't insured then? not really followed the story but i always thought players were insured against stuff like this

I think the pilot they hired had some issues he may have even been unlicensed so not sure insurance would have accepted it

Cardiff were the cheap party here and its shocking they were willing to save money on the flight for a potential asset. A Ryanair flight would have been better

• Like 1

I know the plane was coming from France but I've had to go the the Channel Islands with work a few times, which it ultimately flew over and went down, and there is not a bat in hells chance I'd risk getting on a private plane to fly over them. 

We would always fly from Exeter on FlyBe, which was a small enough aircraft, and it was never the greatest experience. Their weather seems to change at a drop of a hat, I had 2 occasions we couldn't land on Guernsey, another the plane had to basically turn around due to the fog and a third where we landed in 85mph winds and I ran straight into the terminal, thanked god I was alive & threw my guts up in the toilet. 

Cardiff, for whatever reason, used a third party and the risk back fired big time. They should be held accountable and have to pay back every last penny and more in my opinion for such negligence. 

Â