Premier League Relegation 18/19

Mark Albrighton

That's a massive blow, but it wouldn't surprise me if they used the tragedy in a positive way.  Try and stay up for him.  Obviously it's easier said than done, and they were bringing him in for a reason.  But things like this can galvanise a team.  This Cardiff were already a stubborn enough team to beat.  They'll have everyone rooting for them now, despite who the manager is.  For me it's between them & Newcastle to join Flum and 'uddersfield.

19 minutes ago, BOF said:

That's a massive blow, but it wouldn't surprise me if they used the tragedy in a positive way.  Try and stay up for him.  Obviously it's easier said than done, and they were bringing him in for a reason.  But things like this can galavanise a team.  This Cardiff were already a stubborn enough team to beat.  They'll have everyone rooting for them now, despite who the manager is.  For me it's between them & Newcastle to join Flum and 'uddersfield.

Need to find someone else to fill the void as he was obviously coming in to lead the line for them. Difficult to do in such a short space of time and he was their number one target. Their other options are Naisse, Paterson, Ward and Bobby Reid so not enough to stay up with that.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Need to find someone else to fill the void as he was obviously coming in to lead the line for them. Difficult to do in such a short space of time and he was their number one target. Their other options are Naisse, Paterson, Ward and Bobby Reid so not enough to stay up with that.

Niasse had a decent goal record last season for Everton in a similarly styled team

• Like 1

I'll ask the question in here as doesn't seem right to do it in the thread specifically for the incident.

What happens financially with Cardiff here? I know it's beside the point, life is more important, but I'm curious. Do Cardiff just have to write off that £15m? Will Nantes have any obligation to give anything back?

it's an awkward situation.

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'll ask the question in here as doesn't seem right to do it in the thread specifically for the incident.

What happens financially with Cardiff here? I know it's beside the point, life is more important, but I'm curious. Do Cardiff just have to write off that £15m? Will Nantes have any obligation to give anything back?

I have been thinking this myself and likewise was not sure where or if to post it.

I am curious to know if anything else.

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He did sign for Cardiff, he is still listed as Cardiff record signing. Maybe Nantes could offer to return the fee as goodwill but probably not something to be decided at moment

But if Nantes return the fee then they've lost out financially because they no longer have an "asset".

Very strange scenario. I'm guessing technically it's entirely Cardiff's loss, but would be interesting to see how it's handled.

33 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I've been chatting elsewhere about this and the current thinking is Nantes will get their money and Cardiff will claim off insurance.  It'll probably cock up the rest of their window though.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BOF said:

Yeah I've been chatting elsewhere about this and the current thinking is Nantes will get their money and Cardiff will claim off insurance.  It'll probably cock up the rest of their window though.

Yeah there must be some sort of insurance policy against players due to their financial importance to clubs

1 minute ago, Mozzavfc said:

Yeah there must be some sort of insurance policy against players due to their financial importance to clubs

Oh they're absolutely insured.  He had signed for Cardiff, so leaving the emotions out of it, Nantes get their money.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Was thinking the same thing. I guess Cardiff are insured and get money back but it will probably be. Along process so messes them up for this window. 

20 hours ago, Mozzavfc said:

20 hours ago, BOF said:

Oh they're absolutely insured.  He had signed for Cardiff, so leaving the emotions out of it, Nantes get their money.

I'm no expert, but it's true that clubs have insurance for their players; especially in the Premier League, the playing squad is the club's second-most important financial asset. 

However, I can't help wondering about the specifics of the policies that clubs have: do you ensure a squad, or individual players? Did they have time to update their policy between him signing and the crash? Does the fact that he was their record signing make a difference to how much they could claim if they hadn't updated their policy? Does the apparent fact that he was flying on a plane that wasn't chartered by the club make a difference? etc. 

It was the agent it seemed who was tasked with arranging the transport, I wonder how much - if any - liability he would face? Whereever it stops someone has taken a cheap and "easy" route to transport :( 

I did go on a small aircraft when I was a kid - I think it was a 'flying eye' traffic reporting plane for BRMB if I remember rightly. I didn't like flying much anyway, but it definitely felt less secure!  I think I've read too much in the last few days to ever consider going on one of those aircraft again though

Edited by Rodders

• 1 month later...

Assuming the bottom two have gone, it looks like it’ll be between these for the last spot.

Cardiff - 25 points

Wolves (a) West Ham (h) Chelsea (h) Man City (a) Burnley (a) Liverpool (h) Fulham (a) Palace (h) Man Utd (a)

Southampton - 27 points

Man Utd (a) Spurs (h) Brighton (a) Liverpool (h) Wolves (h) Newcastle (a) Bournemouth (h) West Ham (a) Huddersfield (h)

Brighton - 27 points

Huddersfield (h) Palace (a) Southampton (h) Spurs (a) Bournemouth (h) Wolves (a) Newcastle (h) Arsenal (a) Man City (h)

Burnley - 30 points

Palace (h) Liverpool (a) Leicester (h) Wolves (h) Bournemouth (a) Cardiff (h) Chelsea (a) Man City (h) Everton (a) Arsenal (h)

I don’t believe Burnley will go, but if they don’t pick up a few points before going into that Cardiff game, they could well find themselves right in it.

While unlikely, I think at a push Cardiff could reach 34-36 points, (2 or 3 wins and a few draws from Wolves/ West Ham/ Burnley/ Fulham/ Palace is feasible) so the others should be ok on 35-37 points.

Jeez. Brighton would want to be safe heading into their last two games. I still think it will be Cardiff, but Southampton have a pretty tough run home and Brighton will be in trouble if they don't pick up 3 points at home to Huddersfield.

I was shocked to see Brighton where they are. I would not be suprised if its them. I'm hoping it's Cardiff to be honest. 

If it's Cardiff Huddersfield and Fulham there isn't that much to fear next season in my opinion. 

Out of the existing chamojo ship sides. You would think the teams looking to challenge wouldbe  us forest Wednesday Stoke possibly Blose if embargo is taken away and any of the play off sides hwo don't make it. 

I think if Leeds don't go up Bielsa will leave an Di can see them imploding next year. 

• Like 1

Â