• Bolasie
    • Abraham
    • El Ghazi (Bolasie 58)
    • Green (Adomah 58)
    • Kodjia (Bjarnason 74)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 22/01/19 at 23:59

15 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

There's a thing we're doing at the moment - our only real means of transitioning from defence into forward areas is McGinn's arse - so we're often left with our centrebacks having lots of touches on the ball looking for ways out.

Agree on the above, OBE. For me it is the lack of that effective deep lying CM who should be constantly showing or the CBs. Hourihane just doesn’t do it as do none of our current CM crop. It’s a huge problem for us and why it is a vital position that Smith needs to recruit. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

No kidding. As well as your points, just look at the money we have spent in the Championship alone. Fans should expect better, so should the owner(s). 

It needs a public inquiry......or due to our connections a Royal commission.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

First half was poor. Players are terrified. Crowd getting on their backs makes it even worse. Second half much better by players and fans responded. 

We are still crap and playoffs unlikely. But it was much better to see second half. 

I don't disagree with you, but what comes first the "chicken or the egg"

very few players of ours match the intensity of McGinn or Tammy..I am not expecting every player to be able to do it, but we need more than 2 to be at it.

The standing off for me has reached epidemic proportions.....rarely do i see any team come to our place and emulate us a such a depressing trait.

As soon as players lesser in technique than us realise, that getting in our faces, brings results, the floodgates open and the word has well and truly got around the division.

I can only speculate, why we seem (as a team )so bereft of battling qualities or so reluctant to give out as good as we get.

our work off the ball at times is naive at best.....you would think that the experience in our team would give us the advantage.....after all football is played with your head, the legs just help out.....if only that was true in our case.

• Like 1

Having reflected on it whatever way Smith goes about it our squad is imbalanced-

We have too many wingers who all have been inconsistent

The entire left hand side is dire

We have had 5 goalkeepers starting this season so we badly need some stability there

We have had already 3 different central defence partnerships this year, and I don't think Chester has been really fit all season. And Chester- Elphick didn't really work the first time under potato head.

We  can't really experiment with wing backs as only Elmo could play there, no one on the left could do it

McGinn has been excellent but we don't know who to have as the DM with him. Jedinak, Whelan, Bjarnason, and Hourihane have all appeared to have a go. Whelan and Jedinak are good pros but are too old and slow for Smith's style of play

Grealish is class but it looks like he will have to be sacrified this summer to start the rebuilding job. He is to good for us. 

Kodjia has been played out of position all season as we insist on playing only 1 up top. Davis should either be played or sent out on loan as well. Tammy is a premier league striker and I am sure he will be off in the summer. Good luck to him.

Its a shame as last season we had a decent balanced side but lacked a bit of flair and firepower. This year we have this but the defense is a shambles from day one.

A lot of work required.

Edited by The Fun Factory

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Having reflected on it whatever way Smith goes about it our squad is imbalanced-

We have too many wingers who all have been inconsistent

The entire left hand side is dire

We have had 5 goalkeepers starting this season so we badly need some stability there

We have had already 3 different central defence partnerships this year, and I don't think Chester has been really fit all season. And Chester- Elphick didn't really work the first time under potato head.

We  can't really experiment with wing backs as only Elmo could play there, no one on the left could do it

McGinn has been excellent but we don't know who to have as the DM with him. Jedinak, Whelan, Bjarnason, and Hourihane have all appeared to have a go. Whelan and Jedinak are good pros but are too old and slow for Smith's style of play

Grealish is class but it looks like he will have to be sacrified this summer to start the rebuilding job. He is to good for us. 

Kodjia has been played out of position all season as we insist on playing only 1 up top. Davis should either be played or sent out on loan as well. Tammy is a premier league striker and I am sure he will be off in the summer. Good luck to him.

Its a shame as last season we had a decent balanced side but lacked a bit of flair and firepower. This year we have this but the defense is a shambles from day one.

A lot of work required.

I agree with all that.

but we need to be clear....the whole team in the main can't defend... not just the back 5.

I just watched the goals back and a few players should get a lot is stick from the coaches when they analysis that. 

First goal. Why has Taylor decided to come central when there are 2 centre halves to deal with the long ball? Ok let’s say he is covering, the ball drops to him. What the hell was that attempt of a clearance straight to the man that he should have been marking anyway. Shocking !!

Second goal. Hutton just strolls back while his man runs off him in to space meaning they are now outnumbering is in the middle. Taylor agains decides to come inside to cover totally leaving a man free to volley it home. Taylor probably had to make a decision to come in to the middle so could let him, where the hell is our left winger busting a gut to cover Taylor.  It’s schoolboy stuff!!

This was the 9th game this season where we've had over 60% possession.  We've won one of those games (v sha).

It was also only the second time this season we've used a back 4 of Taylor-Chester-Elphick-Hutton.  The other time was game 1 of the season, also against Hull.

• Like 1

On 20/01/2019 at 14:44, TRO said:

I don't disagree with you, but what comes first the "chicken or the egg"

very few players of ours match the intensity of McGinn or Tammy..I am not expecting every player to be able to do it, but we need more than 2 to be at it.

The standing off for me has reached epidemic proportions.....rarely do i see any team come to our place and emulate us a such at depressing trait.

As soon as players lesser in technique than us realise, that getting in our faces, brings results, the floodgates open and the word has well and truly got around the division.

I can only speculate, why we seem (as a team )so bereft of battling qualities or so reluctant to give out as good as we get.

our work off the ball at times is naive at best.....you would think that the experience in our team would give us the advantage.....after all football is played with your head, the legs just help out.....if only that was true in our case.

Oops....ignore

Edited by TRO

On 21/01/2019 at 10:46, Vive_La_Villa said:

I just watched the goals back and a few players should get a lot is stick from the coaches when they analysis that. 

First goal. Why has Taylor decided to come central when there are 2 centre halves to deal with the long ball? Ok let’s say he is covering, the ball drops to him. What the hell was that attempt of a clearance straight to the man that he should have been marking anyway. Shocking !!

Second goal. Hutton just strolls back while his man runs off him in to space meaning they are now outnumbering is in the middle. Taylor agains decides to come inside to cover totally leaving a man free to volley it home. Taylor probably had to make a decision to come in to the middle so could let him, where the hell is our left winger busting a gut to cover Taylor.  It’s schoolboy stuff!!

It really is schoolboy stuff, and we don't need goals against to highlight it....its happening in innocuous situations.....we make danger when there is none, the way we are playing.

Â