AVST: AGM 2019 with Christian Purslow

Tomaszk

35 minutes ago, villan_007 said:

Well Tomask wasn't there so he's wrong in saying that.

I wasn't either, but read everything posted by Howard and Johnny who set it up, which put the championship thing into context. CP was asked whether we have another Dr T situation on our hands if we don't go up this season, as in do we go into administration. He said no we're fine our lives don't depend on us going up, which is reassuring.

I found it refreshing to hear to be honest, someone telling the truth. From the minute we went down we have done everything wrong, and as a consequence are light years behind the prem clubs.

I hear everything you say mate, but finally it looks like we're trying to do things the right way, but unfortunately it probably means a bit longer down here. We messed up our chance to bounce straight back :(

Thank you for the clarifying post chap.

11 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

It's not though Dem.

While we piss about down here the rich get richer and the poor stay poor and the football gap widens more.

I genuinely think some of our fans would be happy to stay put in this league for the next few years and that is a sad state of the club we have become.

Ambitions firmly flushed for many it appears.

Even with cardiff or bournmouth we are still richer than them. We just not allowed to spend bloody money.

If rather build the club up with a sustainable plan than just gamble likw coz did 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Well that's good then as opposed to throwing stupid money, gambling and having no plan b.

I think if we plan like a championship team we will go up quickly as opposed to xias strategy.

I worry that we could also remain a Championship team. We have already spent too long down here. Another season down here will likely see players like Jack and McGinn sold in the summer and that will make promotion next season look a long way off.

If we can find the funds, I would love us to sign a couple of players for around £10m in total rather than £10m each and give it one last shot this season before we take the long route to promotion, which as the likes of Forest and Derby have found can be a long and winding one.    

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John said:

I worry that we could also remain a Championship team. We have already spent too long down here. Another season down here will likely see players like Jack and McGinn sold in the summer and that will make promotion next season look a long way off.

If we can find the funds, I would love us to sign a couple of players for around £10m in total rather than £10m each and give it one last shot this season before we take the long route to promotion, which as the likes of Forest and Derby have found can be a long and winding one.    

I think your being unrealistic and thinking like  premier league club

We just spent 6m on a keeper without selling any players. There is no way we are spending 10m on a player unless we sell some players. Also we have no PL money from next year.

Thankfully clubs have gone up before without spending stupid money like Cardiff and fulham. 

It's hard but certainly not impossible  

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Even with cardiff or bournmouth we are still richer than them

No we're not. Their income dwarfs ours due to the telly money they get from being in the Prem.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think your being unrealistic and thinking like  premier league club

We just spent 6m on a keeper without selling any players. There is no way we are spending 10m on a player unless we sell some players. Also we have no PL money from next year.

Thankfully clubs have gone up before without spending stupid money like Cardiff and fulham. 

It's hard but certainly not impossible  

Guilty as charged. ;) I was talking about spending £10m on players rather than £10m on one player. 

• Like 1

I have been flabbergasted for a good while as to what is the issue in getting our supposedly amazing youth players into the first team?! We always hear of these super hot prospects and yet none of them seems to break through. We see the odd one for the odd game and they never seem to set the World on fire and disappear very quickly. It's weird frankly especially when you see them winning Youth cups and Youth European cups etc. When you look at other clubs you do see young talent aged 17, 18 19 coming through and doing well so whats the issue here?

It was good to read that at the meeting they are at least looking at this and how to change it to how it used to be with a first team backed up by a reserve team all capable of playing in the first eleven. .. At least i think that was the gist of what i read?

Can anyone clarify this bit' of the meeting?

• Like 1

T

12 hours ago, Dave-R said:

The last 20 years, bad management, bad ownership, falling so hard from the premiere s proof we no longer fit the bill. We have got alot wrong in terms of how we go about things especially on the pitch and while I think Smith is the rite man, I do not think we are ready, we are far from consistent enough in terms of winning. We have a squad of players that for the second time under two managers have performed then done a u turn on everything good they have produced. With a team like ours putting those performances in do I really need to explain why we are not good enough for the premiere. Our players passing for one is not fast, on point and fluent as what other teams of this league are putting out. Our wingers do not seem to cause the problems that they should be and compared to other wingers out there we have to be very lucky to get the best out of them. Our defence, well for one they are pathetic most of the time, making mistakes that are costing us entire games, won't close on coming threats out yet invite attackers in like its an open house. Our strikers are not the attacking players we want, they simply can not provide the goals as to what Tammy can, it's a shame but it's true and Tammy being here has highlighted to many of us, I'm how we need our own Tammy who can score that much, it's something we have been missing for a while.

I'm sorry but I see the work that needs to be done, I don't have some blind faith on getting to the premiere when there is so much work to do ahead of that. I would feel if we did gain entry to the premiere that we wouldn't deserve it, because our players have been very short of impressive, that they fail to impress so many times and that were mainly relying on one man's goals (Tammy Abraham).

Will we pick back up, well I just don't know, our last game is the bottom for us, could it get lower, yes of course it could . Our players need to go out and do more next game, they need to turn it around big time and show us fans what was taught them hasn't just sunk through there heads.

We are losing to teams we shouldnt be losing , according to those who says we have the best squad in the league this shouldn't be happeninf. If we are not being made an example of then I don't know what it is, we are being out played by the bottom of the barrel. We are a bunch of fans blinded by a goal that is out of our reach for the time being, and we need to wake up and come back down to earth. We love our club and that's ok, we want them at there highest again, that's ok, we want them winning trophies, again ok, but one thing we all need to cool down on is rushing what seems to be a very long winded approach back to the premiere. Our club has tried re entry to the premiere through buying our way back in, hasnt worked. It amazes me how it seems with some fans we have yet to learn a lesson especially in waiting and being patient.

Let's get the rite plan in place and do this the rite way, no way are we ready this season to spring any plan into action.

The 'premiere' 🤣

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Owner wealth I meant 😃

We are up there amongst the top with our combined owners are we not?

- again, counts for nothing in this league when we're strangled by FFP legislation.

We need out of this league this season imo.

I think with wealth it's like this - Bournemouth are a bloke in our company with a very big salary and a mortgage on a modest house, we're a bloke in the same company on minimum wage living in a six bed detached that was left to us by our dad and we own outright. In footballing terms we can't sell those houses, so Bournemouth are better off than we are - as in any discussion however, if we get promoted..........

• Like 2

6 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

I have been flabbergasted for a good while as to what is the issue in getting our supposedly amazing youth players into the first team?! We always hear of these super hot prospects and yet none of them seems to break through. We see the odd one for the odd game and they never seem to set the World on fire and disappear very quickly. It's weird frankly especially when you see them winning Youth cups and Youth European cups etc. When you look at other clubs you do see young talent aged 17, 18 19 coming through and doing well so whats the issue here?

It was good to read that at the meeting they are at least looking at this and how to change it to how it used to be with a first team backed up by a reserve team all capable of playing in the first eleven. .. At least i think that was the gist of what i read?

Can anyone clarify this bit' of the meeting?

Thing is it's not like any have gone and tried their luck elsewhere and  been huge successes.  It is probably more damning of our youth set up and scouting system than our lack of desire to break them through. 

8 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

I think our biggest problem the last years is that we haven't given our youngsters a chance. We have taken in very expensive has-beens and filled our squad with them, not letting any space for the youngsters. On the few occations that they have gotten the chance, we have put expectancy and pressure on them by giving them one chance to perform or they are out in the cold again.

To me this is fundamentaly wrong and shows a lack of understanding in how people and especially young people function. It's very difficult to know at a young age who will cope with the responsibility, who will take the step up. Many are talented, but it's far from always the most talented is the one who makes it (Grealish an exeption, but his talent is one in a million or more). In my view we should always have a couple of youngsters on the bench and give at least one of them game time every game, rotating and give as many as possible experience and several chances.

We should also not be afraid of giving them responsibility and start games, they'll make mistakes, but so does our older players regularly. Only a generation or two ago 15-year olds were expected to go out in the fields or industries and contribute as much as full grown men, we shouldn't treat 17-20 year olds as if they are helpless kids. Test them and give them responsibility and have patience with them, the one's who grasps the chance and grows with responsibility will do that at that age as much as if they get the chance at 25. And by giving more youngsters game time and experience, we will raise the value on them and can make a higher profit when we sell the one's we don't want to keep. We would also save money by letting them be squad players and can use the money to buy the premium players, not spunk out loads of money on other clubs average players just to fill up the numbers.

There are also so many other positives with having home grown players in the squad. If we now have a self imposed qouta of home grown players I can just applaude Purslow, imo 100% right direction.

On 17/01/2019 at 19:33, Reivax_Villa said:

Well based on that segment it does look like we are going to start investing in our youth and get them to the standard of first team football.

Norwich & Leeds are able to include youngsters in the first team and they don't look out of place. 

We are not at that level with our youth squad.

I rather suspect after this season we have no choice but to do that.

Â