AVST: AGM 2019 with Christian Purslow

Tomaszk

There's not that much on that 20 min podcast to be fair.

Interested if anyone went what their thoughts are on signings going forward.

Sounded a tad like they're setting up for Championship long term.

Well based on that segment it does look like we are going to start investing in our youth and get them to the standard of first team football.

Norwich & Leeds are able to include youngsters in the first team and they don't look out of place. 

We are not at that level with our youth squad.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Well that's good then as opposed to throwing stupid money, gambling and having no plan b.

I think if we plan like a championship team we will go up quickly as opposed to xias strategy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

With our latest managerial appointment and with some of the lower league players we're apparantly targetting, this comes as no real big suprise.

Dog shit if true.

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Well that's good then as opposed to throwing stupid money, gambling and having no plan b.

I think if we plan like a championship team we will go up quickly as opposed to xias strategy.

It's not though Dem.

While we piss about down here the rich get richer and the poor stay poor and the football gap widens more.

I genuinely think some of our fans would be happy to stay put in this league for the next few years and that is a sad state of the club we have become.

Ambitions firmly flushed for many it appears.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Well based on that segment it does look like we are going to start investing in our youth and get them to the standard of first team football.

Norwich & Leeds are able to include youngsters in the first team and they don't look out of place. 

We are not at that level with our youth squad.

Its only rite.

We as a club have been missing the biggest part of what makes a club successful and that is a clubs Youth becoming the future. For about two decades we have probably spent a fortune on wasteful signings. If we really thought about it and did it like many other clubs then Aston villa could have had alot of home grown talent who actually played there hearts out because they know full well there is a way into our first team with hard work and dedication.

As it stands it has been awful for the youth to break through and alot of the time it's left many of us wandering why so hard, especially when our seniors can't win games and our Youth are waiting for that chance

Its been a tough road for young talent at villa and I do hope the door gets easier for youth here on in. If this changes then the owners, coaches and any one else who's had a say in on this deserve a round of applause because at last we mite start seeing more break throughs than failures which in turn is better for our future, financially and talent wise.

There are many on here that won't like it, but truth is, this is what we need to do.

It's impatience that got us here and it's impatient people and fast plans that will see us fail over and over again. We need a slow sensible plan of action, one that will take time to pull of that we know we will see the fruit of our labour.

No point keep spending over and over if we're only going to end up with a squad that loses control of things and screws the season up.

We need to build a squad that can out play this league, it is obvious that can't be done in one season, more like three or four or even more. It really annoys me when I see fans calling for yet another manager head, yet it seems the owners are prepared to do this rite and relax with Smith so long as we are not in any relegation trouble I think our owners will take there time with Smith and give him the much needed room he needs to do things rite.

Summer time ( I have will Smith's song stuck in my head), but massive changes are coming and a clear out is imminent I believe. I don't think we will see many returning players from the old guard and really I think the owners will be saying (Vince mcmahon style- your fired).

Even on a budget, if we scout, recruit, and develop our young players properly with the right manager at the helm, promotion is incredibly realistic in a few seasons.  I understand the frustrations everyone has with being in the Championship, but we don't even have a stable foundation to build upon right now.  Getting to the Premier League won't mean **** all if we keep throwing money at the wrong players.  It's going to take some time to right the squad/wage bill and start integrating our academy graduates into 1st team rotation.  Sustainable Promotion within 3 years needs to be the board's goal.  Once we've built a solid financial platform, we'll pull away from the bottom half of the Premier League because of the size and revenue generated by us being a much larger club than the Bournmouths/Burnleys of the Premier League.  Without money, even clubs like Southampton, who have famously recruited well over the past 10 seasons, are struggling to survive in the Premier League.  We have traditionally had money, but spent it on awful players/managers without a sustainable plan for the future.  You can't just have money anymore.  You need to be well run and rich to consistently charge up the Premier League table.

Edited by KMitch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

While we piss about down here the rich get richer and the poor stay poor and the football gap widens more.

That's not really true though is it. Whilst revenue massively increases with promotion so does the outlay on bog standard players demanding £80k pw. 

If the likes of Huddersfield, Brighton, Bournemouth etc were to get relegated their few years in the PL won't guarantee a imminent return as didn't with us. Conversely if a big club like Leeds go up this season they will fancy their chances of competing for mid table in spite of the fact they have spent a decade or so in the second tier. 

Promotion is a must and the sooner it comes the better, but what is more important is long term planning because the lack of it is the very reason we find ourselves in this position. 

If I enjoy what I'm watching and can see improvement throughout the squad I don't mind staying here for a few years. 

We'll steadily rise up the table anyway if that happens.

Obviously I'd rather go up, but the excellent chances to go up with a cherry picked squad have been pissed up the wall by RDM and Bruce. Helpfully, they've also both left us a load of shite hanging around the squad using up wages and contributing nothing on the pitch.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

It's not though Dem.

I genuinely think some of our fans would be happy to stay put in this league for the next few years and that is a sad state of the club we have become.

Ambitions firmly flushed for many it appears.

If us fans are happy to stay in this league for some seasons to come its only because we know we are not ready for the premiere and that we truly need to learn to play as a team again because we have totwlly lost our way.

I think it's blind ambition what people have in there mind as to why people wa t to be back up there. Do you truly think we would last a season up there with the big boys, no we wouldn't, we are already being made an example of by this leagues teams. It would surprise me if there are some league two teams who would love to show us how it's done also.

Some people think we belong in the premiere, we have no claim or no rite there and it's this stuck up attitude that I would say has not only got into some of our fans but our players as well. Those who think they deserve it all, usually you find don't end up with what they think they are entitled to.

Football is what we need to learn to play again and if we are not careful and carry on with this self entitled attitude along with heartless, no guts type of team who doesn't put all they have into it, then we could very well end in league two being nothing more than a distant memory to football.

We will belong in the premiere once more when we earn it and we are far from earning it, world's apart comes to mind and some of you are so blind as to how far and hard we have fallen.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, av1 said:

That's not really true though is it. Whilst revenue massively increases with promotion so does the outlay on bog standard players demanding £80k pw. 

If the likes of Huddersfield, Brighton, Bournemouth etc were to get relegated their few years in the PL won't guarantee a imminent return as didn't with us. Conversely if a big club like Leeds go up this season they will fancy their chances of competing for mid table in spite of the fact they have spent a decade or so in the second tier. 

Promotion is a must and the sooner it comes the better, but what is more important is long term planning because the lack of it is the very reason we find ourselves in this position. 

I agree in most parts of your post here AV and can't disagree.

While revenue from promotion does/would help - it won't for us if we are not in any real hurry to return to the PL.

One minute our goal for this season is play-offs to suddenly we're setting out our stall for a few more years in this league? So I am confused by this.

Secondly, after this season we lose a hell of alot of players from this club. They WILL need to be replaced but we will get hee-haw parachute money to play with and mega rich owners mean sod all in this league thanks to FFP rules. It's a massive worry for me. Who do we replace them with? Potential gems from Barry town in a hope in 5 years they turn good and we cash in. No thanks. Leave that strategy to the likes of Walsall's etc.

If Leeds go up yea, they hit a nice windfall while equally FFP is kinder in the PL than it is in the EFL iirc, however if we stay in this league this season from failing to get promoted this season then it could be a good while before we get out of it again

I hope that makes sense. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

If us fans are happy to stay in this league for some seasons to come its only because we know we are not ready for the premiere and that we truly need to learn to play as a team again because we have totwlly lost our way.

I think it's blind ambition what people have in there mind as to why people wa t to be back up there. Do you truly think we would last a season up there with the big boys, no we wouldn't, - we are already being made an example of by this leagues teams. It would surprise me if there are some league two teams who would love to show us how it's done also.

Some people think we belong in the premiere, we have no claim or no rite there and it's this stuck up attitude that I would say has not only got into some of our fans but our players as well.

In your opion now.. Why are we not ready for the PL Dave?

Why wouldn't we last 5 minutes in the PL ?

And why are we being made an example out of in this league Dave?

2 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

In your opion now.. Why are we not ready for the PL Dave?

Why wouldn't we last 5 minutes in the PL ?

And why are we being made an example out of in this league Dave?

The last 20 years, bad management, bad ownership, falling so hard from the premiere s proof we no longer fit the bill. We have got alot wrong in terms of how we go about things especially on the pitch and while I think Smith is the rite man, I do not think we are ready, we are far from consistent enough in terms of winning. We have a squad of players that for the second time under two managers have performed then done a u turn on everything good they have produced. With a team like ours putting those performances in do I really need to explain why we are not good enough for the premiere. Our players passing for one is not fast, on point and fluent as what other teams of this league are putting out. Our wingers do not seem to cause the problems that they should be and compared to other wingers out there we have to be very lucky to get the best out of them. Our defence, well for one they are pathetic most of the time, making mistakes that are costing us entire games, won't close on coming threats out yet invite attackers in like its an open house. Our strikers are not the attacking players we want, they simply can not provide the goals as to what Tammy can, it's a shame but it's true and Tammy being here has highlighted to many of us, I'm how we need our own Tammy who can score that much, it's something we have been missing for a while.

I'm sorry but I see the work that needs to be done, I don't have some blind faith on getting to the premiere when there is so much work to do ahead of that. I would feel if we did gain entry to the premiere that we wouldn't deserve it, because our players have been very short of impressive, that they fail to impress so many times and that were mainly relying on one man's goals (Tammy Abraham).

Will we pick back up, well I just don't know, our last game is the bottom for us, could it get lower, yes of course it could . Our players need to go out and do more next game, they need to turn it around big time and show us fans what was taught them hasn't just sunk through there heads.

We are losing to teams we shouldnt be losing , according to those who says we have the best squad in the league this shouldn't be happeninf. If we are not being made an example of then I don't know what it is, we are being out played by the bottom of the barrel. We are a bunch of fans blinded by a goal that is out of our reach for the time being, and we need to wake up and come back down to earth. We love our club and that's ok, we want them at there highest again, that's ok, we want them winning trophies, again ok, but one thing we all need to cool down on is rushing what seems to be a very long winded approach back to the premiere. Our club has tried re entry to the premiere through buying our way back in, hasnt worked. It amazes me how it seems with some fans we have yet to learn a lesson especially in waiting and being patient.

Let's get the rite plan in place and do this the rite way, no way are we ready this season to spring any plan into action.

Edited by Dave-R

It's not about explaining I just wanted your brief thoughts as to why you felt this way on my 3 highlighted points mate.

I agree that we have done and equally made bad decisions, we could even delve further into the Ellis (mkII) years and not backing managers when four of them had us on the brink of 'kicking on' whilst in their managerial posts.

However, I will stick to the here and the now and where we find ourselves.

I think everywhere else as a club we are ready for the Premier League again - Manager & his Staff though, debateable?

This squad of players would not be with us in the Premier League as 3/4 of them are gone as of June so any inconsistencies would be eliminated while we are left with a small bunch of remainders to which I would further chop to keep a solid few and build the team around them.

- A lot of your post I think is based on the current lot players we currently have thinking they would be white washed in the Premier League, and you're damn right they would. 

And so aside of the playing side and personnel, what other work would need done to this club?

You don't need to talk to me about being patient as I feel too many of us have been patient for long enough with this club during it's tribulations that started 10 years ago.

So I remain a wee bit lost as to why you think we would be rushing into anything if we were to win play-offs this season, which to me remains vital that we do imo.

My previous post to you hightlighted 3 questions and imo you are bang on - it is our current crop of players that would get us hammered.

Thankfully with 3/4 gone come June and we win the play-offs - that squad wouldn't be a worry as they wouldn't be here.

We are big enough as a club with the foundations already in place. Again we just need the right players. - Being in the Premier League, we stand a better chance of recruiting the right players to start a fresh and kick on.

9 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

With our latest managerial appointment and with some of the lower league players we're apparantly targetting, this comes as no real big suprise.

Dog shit if true.

Well Tomask wasn't there so he's wrong in saying that.

I wasn't either, but read everything posted by Howard and Johnny who set it up, which put the championship thing into context. CP was asked whether we have another Dr T situation on our hands if we don't go up this season, as in do we go into administration. He said no we're fine our lives don't depend on us going up, which is reassuring.

I found it refreshing to hear to be honest, someone telling the truth. From the minute we went down we have done everything wrong, and as a consequence are light years behind the prem clubs.

I hear everything you say mate, but finally it looks like we're trying to do things the right way, but unfortunately it probably means a bit longer down here. We messed up our chance to bounce straight back :(

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Â