Jacob Ramsey

sir_gary_cahill

20 hours ago, BOF said:

The elephant in the room is the front 4 of Bailey, Buendia, Watkins & Ings. Smith has a problem :)

Id suggest we have exactly the same problem in midfield if Sanson can get past fitness problems and play at his best.

2 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

Id suggest we have exactly the same problem in midfield if Sanson can get past fitness problems and play at his best.

Hopefully. Competition for places is great. What I don’t want though, is for it to be obvious that we’re shoehorning players in because of their price tag or their reputation.

We need to work to a system and the players need to fight it out as to who gets the shirt for that position.

Right now, as an example, Ramsey starts. No way is he dropped unless he plays badly and even then it’s harsh. You earn the shirt. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, pas5898 said:

I guess it will only ever be 3 from 4. Maybe even 2 from 4 in the 5-3-2 formation. It's the players jobs to earn their place, not for us to fit a system around them. Personally speaking I don't think Buendía has the athleticism to play in the centre, and looks best our wide drifting in. So Smith has 2 options

Cash    Konsa   Mings.   Targett

Luiz

Mcginn.   Ramsey

Bailey                           Buendía

Watkins OR Ings

Or the Chelsea away formation:

Konsa.   Tuanzebe.   Mings 

Cash                                                      Targett

Luiz.   

Mcginn                    Ramsey

Watkins     Ings

If 5-3-2 is the best formation then Bailey just isn't going to play (although his pace could make him a good second striker). If 4-3-3 is the formation then its up to Ings or Watkins to earn that start. Either way going back to the topic. Jacob Ramsey and Mcginn are both certain starters however we play.

As is Luiz in all fairness, the three of them compliment each other

• Like 1

I think the midfield 3 of McGinn, Ramsey and Luiz is hard to break up at present. Nakamba won't get a look in really, while Sanson or Chuk off the bench to replace JJ will always be a common change.

As for the forwards, there are only 3 spots as I see it. With one always going to Watkins as he's the best outfield player and probably the most important player in the team. That leaves 2 spots for Ings, Bailey, Traore, Buendia and AEG. I'd expect Ings and Buendia to start at Everton, left and right of Watkins, or possibly Ings and Bailey.

We've so many options!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think the midfield 3 of McGinn, Ramsey and Luiz is hard to break up at present. Nakamba won't get a look in really, while Sanson or Chuk off the bench to replace JJ will always be a common change.

As for the forwards, there are only 3 spots as I see it. With one always going to Watkins as he's the best outfield player and probably the most important player in the team. That leaves 2 spots for Ings, Bailey, Traore, Buendia and AEG. I'd expect Ings and Buendia to start at Everton, left and right of Watkins, or possibly Ings and Bailey.

We've so many options!!

Agree, though I think McGinn could also be replaced by Sanson or Carney as needs be. The only player we don't really have an equivalent to is Luiz. 

I liked Ramsey last season. I didn’t think he was great but I always thought he did a decent job.  This season he has stepped up a notch and is showing his potential. 

It’s great it’s getting acknowledged  but I do think so of our fans get carried away. When he doesn’t have a cracking game it means he is shit and will never make it.  It’s like some of our players have to be brilliant to be appreciated. 

• Like 3

This is the most exciting time to be a Villa fan in my lifetime for many reasons including Smith and the owners but mainly because of how they’re developing the youth team, and JJ is the leading example of that. Can’t wait to see him progress further and for others to follow in his footsteps, but Ramsey #1 is already an established Premier League player.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

He absolutely belongs now in this team and I think he knows it. A goal for him and we could then see a lot more confidence coming out.

Great start to the season from him. 

Will get better and better. Will also have dips in form and get slated on here, but overall he is here to stay as a PL player.

i think he was good and comfortable without being spectacular tbh.

I think his composed and comfortable style would suit being part of a pivot currently, rather than the main midfield attacking player.

I do wonder if Luiz and Ramsey in the double pivot might be a good balance, both decent at defending, but both very comfortable on the ball and recycling.

• Like 1

Â