Jacob Ramsey

sir_gary_cahill

27 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Yep, agreed.

What makes him so exciting is his ability to carry the ball at pace. It looks so easy but so many players struggle to do it. It can get you out of so many situations and it also scares opposition. 

This kid has all the tools to be a fantastic player. I really hope he realises his potential and doesn’t go the way of say, the Moore brothers. 

So excited to see him and Aaron running our midfield in 3 years time. 

And Iroegbunam . Imagine a starting premier league midfield all from Great Barr !!

Took Ross Barkley (most similar player I can think of) a while before he started adding the goals and assists to his game. Once he adds that, he'll be a superb player. Opposition defenders will have to worry about JJ driving the ball from midfield and sticking it into the top corner along with our other threats such as Baily/Watkins/Buendia etc. It's good to have threats from all over the pitch. We've been very predictable in midfield over the last decade. Apart from Hourihane in the Championship, I think Milner was probably our last real midfield goal threat.

9 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Took Ross Barkley (most similar player I can think of) a while before he started adding the goals and assists to his game. Once he adds that, he'll be a superb player. Opposition defenders will have to worry about JJ driving the ball from midfield and sticking it into the top corner along with our other threats such as Baily/Watkins/Buendia etc. It's good to have threats from all over the pitch. We've been very predictable in midfield over the last decade. Apart from Hourihane in the Championship, I think Milner was probably our last real midfield goal threat.

McGinn was a threat in the championship too although a little less so. Has scored once already this season so hope he will get more involved and start getting more shots off. He has a dangerous shot.

On 12/09/2021 at 19:42, Phil Silvers said:

There were people on here after the Watford game saying JJ had no business being a pro footballer, ridiculous. 

Whilst never being that critical, I must to having some doubts, but his performance on Sunday definitely eased those. 

For me, what we saw on Sunday was 2/3 levels above what he has/had produced prior. 

He was brilliant. 

4 minutes ago, av1 said:

Whilst never being that critical, I must to having some doubts, but his performance on Sunday definitely eased those. 

For me, what we saw on Sunday was 2/3 levels above what he has/had produced prior. 

He was brilliant. 

Fair comment and his Improvement is deserving of praise, a long way to go for a few in the squad but there is potential. 

What I think I was getting at is that supporters have a different slant on things based on how fond they are of a player and can't wait to put the boot in but never the praise.

1 minute ago, BOF said:

I'm the same. I thought his performances up to now had been largely anonymous, which is fine to an extent for a youngster maturing in full view, and that he was getting an easy ride because he was one of our own; again that's fair enough to a point. But he actually contributed properly as a fully-signed up part of the senior team on Saturday which was really good to see on so many levels. If that's his new level from this point on then brilliant. He has served his time acclimatising. If he can maintain that then he'll become a fan favourite.

Perfectly put

• Thanks 1

Mcginn starting to look a lot better shows the balance is just right with the improving Jacob Ramsey. Mcginn can now drive forward with growing confidence in Jacobs ability and athleticism to drop back. It's kind of slightly unleashed him. He's not having to sit deep because Barkley couldn't / didn't get back.

Luiz sitting, JJ and Mcginn both causing carnage both pressing the opposing number 6's, driving forward with the ball and both fit enough to get back and sit in. 

Quite exciting if all 3 stay fit.

Just now, pas5898 said:

Mcginn starting to look a lot better shows the balance is just right with the improving Jacob Ramsey. Mcginn can now drive forward with growing confidence in Jacobs ability and athleticism to drop back. It's kind of slightly unleashed him. He's not having to sit deep because Barkley couldn't / didn't get back.

Luiz sitting, JJ and Mcginn both causing carnage both pressing the opposing number 6's, driving forward with the ball and both fit enough to get back and sit in. 

Quite exciting if all 3 stay fit.

The elephant in the room is the front 4 of Bailey, Buendia, Watkins & Ings. Smith has a problem :)

6 minutes ago, BOF said:

The elephant in the room is the front 4 of Bailey, Buendia, Watkins & Ings. Smith has a problem :)

I guess it will only ever be 3 from 4. Maybe even 2 from 4 in the 5-3-2 formation. It's the players jobs to earn their place, not for us to fit a system around them. Personally speaking I don't think Buendía has the athleticism to play in the centre, and looks best our wide drifting in. So Smith has 2 options

Cash    Konsa   Mings.   Targett

Luiz

Mcginn.   Ramsey

Bailey                           Buendía

Watkins OR Ings

Or the Chelsea away formation:

Konsa.   Tuanzebe.   Mings 

Cash                                                      Targett

Luiz.   

Mcginn                    Ramsey

Watkins     Ings

If 5-3-2 is the best formation then Bailey just isn't going to play (although his pace could make him a good second striker). If 4-3-3 is the formation then its up to Ings or Watkins to earn that start. Either way going back to the topic. Jacob Ramsey and Mcginn are both certain starters however we play.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

I guess it will only ever be 3 from 4. Maybe even 2 from 4 in the 5-3-2 formation. It's the players jobs to earn their place, not for us to fit a system around them. Personally speaking I don't think Buendía has the athleticism to play in the centre, and looks best our wide drifting in. So Smith has 2 options

Cash    Konsa   Mings.   Targett

Luiz

Mcginn.   Ramsey

Bailey                           Buendía

Watkins OR Ings

Or the Chelsea away formation:

Konsa.   Tuanzebe.   Mings 

Cash                                                      Targett

Luiz.   

Mcginn                    Ramsey

Watkins     Ings

If 5-3-2 is the best formation then Bailey just isn't going to play (although his pace could make him a good second striker). If 4-3-3 is the formation then its up to Ings or Watkins to earn that start. Either way going back to the topic. Jacob Ramsey and Mcginn are both certain starters however we play.

It'll be interesting. I agree with you in that our best performances are likely to come from choosing 3 from 4 or 2 from 4. I just wonder whether Smith will be able to resist the temptation to go that route often enough. The performance against Chelsea with a back 5 'horses for courses' approach will have been an eye opener. It certainly was for me. If anything it may have increased his headache. I'm looking forward to what we eventually settle down into. I hope he settles on something, because I also wouldn't like a season where we are in constant flux with an ever-changing front 6 just to keep people happy. It's very possible that's what happens. And we haven't even thought about El Goatse and Bertie in all of that.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, av1 said:

He was brilliant. 

Impressive he was able to produce again after playing Saturday too 😉

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Impressive he was able to produce again after playing Saturday too 😉

I did notice the error, but I thought the forgiving folk of VT would let it pass

You sod 😜

Edited by av1

9 hours ago, BOF said:

It'll be interesting. I agree with you in that our best performances are likely to come from choosing 3 from 4 or 2 from 4. I just wonder whether Smith will be able to resist the temptation to go that route often enough. The performance against Chelsea with a back 5 'horses for courses' approach will have been an eye opener. It certainly was for me. If anything it may have increased his headache. I'm looking forward to what we eventually settle down into. I hope he settles on something, because I also wouldn't like a season where we are in constant flux with an ever-changing front 6 just to keep people happy. It's very possible that's what happens. And we haven't even thought about El Goatse and Bertie in all of that.

Funny isn't it, because I feel exactly the opposite. I hope we manage to develop multiple systems and combinations where we are comfortable with in order that we can utilise the correct players and systems for the challenge we face on the pitch. 

The best teams usually build around a solid spine, that is fair to say, and a settled backline is always a bonus even if it retains the flexibility to go with a 4 or 5 man block. However in building around that, if you have the squad and the options within it for the occasion and you know when to best utilise them, you not only give yourself a better chance of unlocking the door but you also better guard yourself against injuries and what not. 

The start to the season has been rocky, not what anyone would have hoped for. But out of that adversity, we have learned things no doubt which will stand us in good stead going forward. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BOF said:

It's a great predicament to have two or three fantastic players on the bench to call upon. Its taken us many years to get to this point and I just hope we can maximise it. 

• Like 1

And now we're getting closer to the point that Smith must be licking his lips at. Genuine competition all over the pitch which in turn should drive performances of players up, as they strive to keep hold of the shirt. Come off the bench? Earn it. I doubt Buendia will come straight back in against Everton (he might) but the message will be simple when he does come on - as to all subs - you have to take your opportunity when it arises. El Ghazi did that last season and got his returns. Now its for Bailey, maybe Buendia, Traore, Sanson, maybe Ings if he's dropped...take your chance because you'll be on the bench otherwise.

Â