Jacob Ramsey

sir_gary_cahill

5 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

Some of the responses in this thread make me seriously worry for these fantastic young lads we have coming through.

Young players are inconsistent, they are good some weeks, not so good others, and they will make mistakes.

As far as today goes I thought Ramsey made an impact when he came on, what he’s lacking at times in real quality as a youngster, he more than makes up for with his industry and work rate. He definitely added some physicality to our midfield too, which tbf we shouldn’t be having to turn to a 20 year old to bring.

Your right, we do have fantastic kids coming through. That doesn't necessarily mean they will make the grade at Villa or that we should lower standards to facilitate them.  

My opinion on Ramsey doesn't have to be agreed with or liked however, it is my opinion. My issue with Jacob is not work rate, industry, effort, it's results. I don't see him influencing the game to the point of changing the game. Not just today but in general over the last 2 years. I think he has great qualities in the same way many of our youth have had over the years. But, I still think he needs a season slogging it in the championship weekly to see if performances lead to results that make sense of his inclusion into our set up. At the moment he does nothing that I don't think a 17 year old kid in Chuk can't do or any of the other midfielders we currently have. 

As for todays game. I actually thought Bailey's inclusion changed the dynamic more than Jacob who I thought was much of a muchness.  

1 minute ago, Mic09 said:

I thought that last season he looked like a youngster coming in to fill a gap.

Today he looked like a Premier League player.

100% - none of the nerves from last season, playing like he was fighting for a first team spot. Great to see. 

• Like 1

Tbh, I always feel like we aren't harsh enough on the youngsters if anything. Not just in our community, but in general among football fans. It's like people want the kids to succeed so much that they're willing to downplay their negatives and solely focus on the positives. Up until its clear they're just not up to scratch.I think a fair review of a player should weigh both equally. 

Maybe Jacob Ramsey will turn out to be a good player in the long run. But the player right now isn't very good. This is the best performance he's had for us so far and even this game his only just been okay. I see the way people talk about his positives in the past, and it always feels like something they wouldn't give a second thought towards if he was 25 instead of 20 for example.

Physically strongest midfielder we've seen in a villa jersey this season (and preseason). Which is great for him, but an indictment of our midfield generally. 

He's a very tidy player. I like that he has an edge too - likes to leave the boot in and put a shoulder into opponents. 

Edited by ejvilla

4 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I thought that last season he looked like a youngster coming in to fill a gap.

Today he looked like a Premier League player.

The thing I like the look of about him is that he is quite physical. I didn't expect him to be like that but he's not scared of getting stuck in.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Tbh, I always feel like we aren't harsh enough on the youngsters if anything. Not just in our community, but in general among football fans. It's like people want the kids to succeed so much that they're willing to downplay their negatives and solely focus on the positives. Up until its clear they're just not up to scratch.I think a fair review of a player should weigh both equally. 

Maybe Jacob Ramsey will turn out to be a good player in the long run. But the player right now isn't very good. This is the best performance he's had for us so far and even this game his only just been okay. I see the way people talk about his positives in the past, and it always feels like something they wouldn't give a second thought towards if he was 25 instead of 20 for example.

Wolves away last season was his best performance so far. I think it's the only time he's played the full 90 too.

25 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Ramsey has played 658 minutes in the Premier League. The equivalent of just over 7 games.

Nice to see people completely writing him off. Very classy.

Not sure it’s a case of writing him off, just fail to see how he remotely justifies playing.

Unfortunately no room for sentiment in football, whether your a youngster or not if your gunna play you need to justify your selection. 

1 minute ago, Mark_1989 said:

Not sure it’s a case of writing him off, just fail to see how he remotely justifies playing.

Unfortunately no room for sentiment in football, whether your a youngster or not if your gunna play you need to justify your selection. 

"absolutely dog shit",

"Were meant to be chasing top six and were still having to rely on Ramsey",

"toilet",

"crap",

"Ramsey is always dogshit",

" if we are serious about progressing then he should be nowhere near the team this season. Whenever he starts he is poor",

"Cannot for the life of me understand what Ramsey offers".

These are some of the "not writing him off" comments in here since the game today. As I said, very classy.

5 minutes ago, Mark_1989 said:

Yet McGinn is an untouchable? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

"absolutely dog shit",

"toilet",

"crap",

" if we are serious about progressing then he should be nowhere near the team this season. Whenever he starts he is poor",

These are some of the "not writing him off" comments in here since the game today. As I said, very classy.

Considering he was pur best central midfielder today, I wonder what they think about our other options?

New striker, wingers played out of position, best player not match fit... no surprise we looked a bit lost going forwards.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mark_1989 said:

Erm, did you watch the game?

13 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

"absolutely dog shit",

"toilet",

"crap",

Other than Wolves away last season - please highlight the reasons why he should be playing?

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Considering he was pur best central midfielder today, I wonder what they think about our other options?

New striker, wingers played out of position, best player not match fit... no surprise we looked a bit lost going forwards.

Was about to say.

He was the best midfielder on the pitch today. Made a difference when he came on, yet we are more concerned about exploring why he's shite. Bizarre.

• Like 1

Â