Jacob Ramsey

sir_gary_cahill

I said the other night I was undecided about Jacob, but I think it is important to point out, whilst our midfield is so lightweight playing him is setting him up to fail. I also think we need to start being serious about progressing these kids if we are to invest so much into bringing them through. That means loan moves, instead of playing them in a team that is far from stage one completion. The odd game here and there and 10min appearances is no way to judge a youngster trying to break through. Davis has had the exact same issues but has probably gone too far now to have any long term future at VP. They need minutes constantly to build their in game attributes to handle the riggers of playing against blokes week in week out. Jacob himself should have been getting far more football this season than he's had after also being on the periphery last year.  

I'm all for keeping those coming through around the first team for a while, as it gives them an insight into where they need to be at. That being said, once they've had a taste they should be sent out on loan. Like Jack and the many other players that have had to tread the same path. Give them a taste, then off you go and come back when your ready to break through full time. Keeping players around with no chance of regular minutes or game time will never allow them to reach their potential.

My guess is Jack will move back centrally next season because its what he wants and if so Ramsey should be out on loan for 12 months. I think it would do him the world of good dropping down a level for a short while and see if he can flourish playing weekly.   

• Like 3

What was his role today? I assume it was just behind ollie. If that was the case he was really ineffective as he was as much as goal threat as Davis. 

Is he a AM? He seems like a cm to me and i think of Smith is going to play him cm is better than am behind ollie.

I really hope he doesnt end up like green, the moore brothers etc. 

Out of all outfield players, only Kouyate touched the ball less and attempted less passes than Ramsay. 

Ramsay attempted the same amount of passes as Benteke. 

He really was a passenger today. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

We dont know though thats the thing. You could be right or i could be right. 

I personally think it really would boost my morale id he showed he belived in me and gave me 10 minutes to make a impact against a shit team like palace. 

Opportunity missed

He played 90 minutes on Friday evening, the game today was Sunday morning so less than 48 hours rest

Think it's important to have patience with these young players. Bleeding them in is exactly that. They develop a lot from it.

Who knows how good he will become? I remember people disliking Albrighton, yet he got a bit better with a few seasons.

Let him have the time to develop.

I thought he was better than McGinn that second half. Shame about his turn and shot, but then went on to crossing into a palace player they countered us on. Guess that's what you get with these youngsters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He got locked out of the game today. Understandable he has been throw into the premier league this season. We will strengthen in his position over the summer but I hope Jacob will stick around and contribute to the first team. 

10 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

What was his role today? I assume it was just behind ollie. If that was the case he was really ineffective as he was as much as goal threat as Davis. 

Is he a AM? He seems like a cm to me and i think of Smith is going to play him cm is better than am behind ollie.

I really hope he doesnt end up like green, the moore brothers etc. 

What i'm not understanding is that you're all up for giving one kid a chance, but want us to replace another kid who has been given a chance because you don't rate him? That's not how it works. You earn your right to be a first-team player you don't get given someone's shirt simply because fan's aren't happy with results. The coaches and Smith will be seeing what they are doing in training and will pick accordingly. just because a player is ripping it up against kids doesn't mean they can do it against men. Similarly, just because 10 minutes might be great for their morale, it could also destroy it if they have a poor 10 minutes and aren't ready for it. That's the whole point of a coaching team, to assess and see who is ready and whent hey are ready.

Every season we have fans saying - give that kid a try, or give this kid a try, and yet it rarely happens in football unless necessity calls or the youngster is top class and bursting their way through (Owen, Rooney, Greenwood, jack, Bellingham and so on).

For all those that we have given minutes to over the past decade or so - most drift down the leagues or out of the game. We're a Premier league team where you have to fight to be noticed. Ramsey has managed to do that and for Chukwuemeka he will be encouraged that youngsters are given the opportunity by Smith. minutes here and there, and now starts. Whether you think he has done well is irrelevant. its what Smith and the coaches think. They, and Ramsey, Chukwuemeka, Barry et al will also see and know the hard work behind the scenes, and then on the training pitch with the first team that goes into getting onto the pitch for the first team.

Its not easy. it takes a time. its a lot of hard work. And the worst judges are always fans.

59 minutes ago, peterw said:

What i'm not understanding is that you're all up for giving one kid a chance, but want us to replace another kid who has been given a chance because you don't rate him? That's not how it works. You earn your right to be a first-team player you don't get given someone's shirt simply because fan's aren't happy with results. The coaches and Smith will be seeing what they are doing in training and will pick accordingly. just because a player is ripping it up against kids doesn't mean they can do it against men. Similarly, just because 10 minutes might be great for their morale, it could also destroy it if they have a poor 10 minutes and aren't ready for it. That's the whole point of a coaching team, to assess and see who is ready and whent hey are ready.

Every season we have fans saying - give that kid a try, or give this kid a try, and yet it rarely happens in football unless necessity calls or the youngster is top class and bursting their way through (Owen, Rooney, Greenwood, jack, Bellingham and so on).

For all those that we have given minutes to over the past decade or so - most drift down the leagues or out of the game. We're a Premier league team where you have to fight to be noticed. Ramsey has managed to do that and for Chukwuemeka he will be encouraged that youngsters are given the opportunity by Smith. minutes here and there, and now starts. Whether you think he has done well is irrelevant. its what Smith and the coaches think. They, and Ramsey, Chukwuemeka, Barry et al will also see and know the hard work behind the scenes, and then on the training pitch with the first team that goes into getting onto the pitch for the first team.

Its not easy. it takes a time. its a lot of hard work. And the worst judges are always fans.

Like i have said on many occasions, because ramsey hasnt impressed why does that mean chuk wont?

Just becauss i dont rate one player based on what ive seen so far doesnt mean we dismiss the rest?

So becauss Davis doesnt score goals should we not give  Barry a chance either?

And im basing this on what ive seen from chuk in the u18 games. He looks ready for some game time to me

• Haha 1

The issue being the desire just to see one youth player thrown in after another. The coaches see them all the time against men, not against other young players and know when they're ready. Whether you think Ramsey has done well or not really isn't the point. Chukwemeka may do well, he may perform terribly. The coaches know him and see him and judge it. What if after one game he plays really poorly, do you then say, "yeah. he's not that good. let's try so-and-so then"? At what point do you think we should rely on the judgement on those paid to do it? 

As for Barry - I don't think he's anywhere near being physically ready. nowhere near at all.

Can you name one time (and this may be egg on my face time) where you/we/anybody has been clamouring for game time for youth players (because that's in effect what they are) and the fans have been proven right? Just one example. Spread the net to the wider football community? One time when fan's have wanted the youth players to have been given starts, they have got their way and that player has gone on to be a player of some description?

If not, then your argument really does fall down at the first hurdle. that being, why not leave these decisions to those best placed to judge and call it? 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Vancvillan said:

Just for context, as 19 year-olds here's where more than half of our starting 11 were playing:

Emi Martinez: Oxford United

Matty Cash: Daggenham and Redbridge

Tyrone Mings: Chippenham Town

Ezri Konsa: Charlton Athletic

John McGinn: St Mirren

Ollie Watkins: Weston Supermare

I'm a long way from losing hope in Ramsey.

Loan him out then to get game time at lower league clubs.  He is far for being ready to start premiership games 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Vancvillan said:

Just for context, as 19 year-olds here's where more than half of our starting 11 were playing:

This should be pinned to the thread...

• Thanks 1

I don't think he looked out of place, but equally didn't have a good game. He's 19, he will get better,  and he has shown glimpses of ability, mixed in with mistakes. All to be expected.

I think he should have made way for Jack (added benefit of not putting AEG on the right where he is useless), and then we'd be talking about him having played well,  and been unlucky to get subbed off,  rather than seeing him tire (as all 19 Yr olds would) and then contribute to Palace's come back and get a load of unwarranted stick for it.

Think Smith had one of his worst managerial performances in this game, and hope he'll learn from the outcome to not play Ramsey where he did for around 80 minutes. Easy lesson to take away, and possibly easy to say in retrospect,  but let's see how it's handled in the next game. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Vancvillan said:

This post needs to be liked and boosted 

• Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think Ramsey has done really well. Hasn’t looked out of place at all. Yes he has struggled at times but so have all our midfields.

This.

Â