Pre-match thread

OutByEaster?

I was disappointed that O'Hare and Doyle Hayes both played for the under 23's last night so won't feature today as I'd have put one of them in from the off rather than play Whelan or Bjarnason.

I'd like us to start Hause and Green so would go with:

Kalanic

Bree  Chester  Hause  Hutton

Whelan  Hourihane  McGinn

Green  Abraham  Kodjia

Last week was one of the worst performances I have seen from us in a long time and for the last few weeks it has been poor. I don't know if we can suddenly turn that form around and get back to the kind of football we were playing in Smiths first couple of months but we may well need to against an in form Hull. I'll let my heart rule my head and go with 2-1 to us.

Edited by markavfc40

8 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Don't you dare bring on Whelan and Hause if we're 1-0 down again Smith.

Learn from your mistakes, don't repeat them. "The definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over expecting a different result"

Could also apply that definition to supporting this club.

• Haha 1

For me, I'd consider:

----------------------------------Kalinic---------------------------------

Bree-----Chester---------Elphick--------Hause-----Hutton

-------------------Whelan----------Bjarnason-------------------

-------------------------------McGinn----------------------------------

-------------------Davis----------Abraham-------------------------

(Or for the optimist):

------------Chester---------Elphick--------Hause--------------

Bree-----------Whelan----------Bjarnason-----------Hutton

But I think we'll see the regular formation with four at the back, one up front and wingers.

Hope the idea of Whelan chasing the game or hassling the opposition has finally been put to rest now. And since he's too poor with the ball to be an outlet for the defense in build up play I see no place for him.

Guy has no legs. In his head he still knows how to do all these things he used to be good at, his body is not letting him.

He reminds me of when Michael Owen tried to be an attacker after his injuries.

still don't expect to see any wholesale changes yet, the players brought in/back are still pretty fresh.

would add a bit of excitement and I'd be all for it, but would understand if it's too soon.

Edited by sne

23 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

You gan get 13/5 on Hull winning. £260 profit from  £100 bet should lessen the blow a bit

I couldn't imagine putting a £100 bet on anything let alone a footy game. 😮

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

For me, I'd consider:

Bree-----Chester---------Elphick--------Hause-----Hutton

-------------------Whelan----------Bjarnason-------------------

(Or for the optimist):

------------Chester---------Elphick--------Hause--------------

Bree-----------Whelan----------Bjarnason-----------Hutton

But I think we'll see the regular formation with four at the back, one up front and wingers.

I'd have no problem with Smith trying something different but I don't think he will. I think he is very much about players having to adapt to his way of playing rather than him adapting to what he has at his disposal.

Obviously the long term aim is that he will bring in players that will fit perfectly into the way he plays. In the short term whilst we don't necessarily have a squad that suits his way of playing, especially with Grealish out, then we will see us trying to play a high energy, high press game with players that simply aren't up to it.

Drilling a way of playing into players from now though will hopefully benefit us next season as those that remain, and 7 or 8 who are playing regularly now won't, should hopefully be totally in tune with what Smith wants.

The biggest gripe I have with Smith at the moment is that he isn't giving a run to more of the younger players and seeing what they can do with a run of games. Hopefully though we will see Bree, Hause and Green start today. When your whole game is geared around pressing high and closing down quickly you really need legs in the side and I think younger, hungrier players could help with that.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

The biggest gripe I have with Smith at the moment is that he isn't giving a run to more of the younger players and seeing what they can do with a run of games. Hopefully though we will see Bree, Hause and Green start today. When your whole game is geared around pressing high and closing down quickly you really need legs in the side and I think younger, hungrier players could help with that.

I agree with an awful lot of what you've said there - I think the only bit I'd disagree on a bit is the youngsters - Bree I think will play, Hause would be a risk, but I'm not against taking it, but Green simply isn't as good as Bolasie or El Ghazi - I think picking him would be a step back right now. To play O'Hare we'd need to change the shape of the team so I understand that one - for me the one who might be worth a risk is Jake Doyle-Hayes, who is pretty much Whelan with legs and without experience. The one that annoys me is the ineffective Hogan ahead of the very effective Davis - I know which one I'd prefer coming off the bench today.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I agree with an awful lot of what you've said there - I think the only bit I'd disagree on a bit is the youngsters - Bree I think will play, Hause would be a risk, but I'm not against taking it, but Green simply isn't as good as Bolasie or El Ghazi - I think picking him would be a step back right now. To play O'Hare we'd need to change the shape of the team so I understand that one - for me the one who might be worth a risk is Jake Doyle-Hayes, who is pretty much Whelan with legs and without experience. The one that annoys me is the ineffective Hogan ahead of the very effective Davis - I know which one I'd prefer coming off the bench today.

I think if we are to know come the end of the season if Hause is worth signing then he has to be playing and not just the odd games, as that isn't fair on any player, he needs a run.

I think likewise with O'Hare and JDH. How are we ever going to know if these lads can step up unless we give them a chance and not just 15 minutes here and there or a start once every 6 months in a cup game.

I know it is a risk and could well back fire. I think I am just sick of seeing the likes of Whelan and Bjarnasson struggling in the middle and lacking energy. I think especially in Whelans case he is really trying but he doesn't have the legs to play the way Smith wants us to.

In Bolaise's case he is another that won't be here next season so whilst he may be a better player now, when he can be bothered, than Green he is not the future of this club where as Green may well be.

I fear this season is just going to peter out so at the very least I'd like to potentially give ourselves a head start on next season and give the younger lads a decent run of games and see what they can do. If 2 or 3 of them prove themselves capable it could well save us needing such a huge overhaul  in the summer.

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

I was disappointed that O'Hare and Doyle Hayes both played for the under 23's last night so won't feature today as I'd have put one of them in from the off rather than play Whelan or Bjarnason.

I'd like us to start Hause and Green so would go with:

Kalanic

Bree  Chester  Hause  Hutton

Whelan  Hourihane  McGinn

Green  Abraham  Kodjia

Last week was one of the worst performances I have seen from us in a long time and for the last few weeks it has been poor. I don't know if we can suddenly turn that form around and get back to the kind of football we were playing in Smiths first couple of months but we may well need to against an in form Hull. I'll let my heart rule my head and go with 2-1 to us.

Really?

On the train on way and just asked my son what score would be. He don’t care aslong as we win. I think that’s sums today up. We need to just get a few wins together, regardless of how bad we play, or how hard we make it for ourselves. 

• Like 3