Match Thread: Wigan v Villa

limpid

6 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

We have some weak links, for sure. But how many of this Wigan squad would you put in our first 11?

We should have the quality to not have Wigan taking the piss out of us. That last 20-25 minutes we hardly got the ball out of our half, it's absurd.

Well possibly 5-6 players. I think people in general underrate other teams's players quite significantly. 

Make no mistake our entire defence is dogshit. Hourihane is crap. Bjarnason pure shit. And I think our wingers are unbalanced. We need one winger to be better defensively. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Skills said:

disagree mate, two payers is a slight blip...  the system should be good enough to cover two injuries from what we have seen from the team.   Under Bruce, 2 injuries was a disaster as we needed one off pieces of brilliance to get us a result.   Not much has changed if this is the case

That’s because we haven’t really bought anyone yet. The players have the same deficiencies that they have had for the last two years. Magic wands are in short supply too. We’ve appeared over the cracks for ages, without our best players our deficiencies are all too obvious. It will take longer than 15games in charge and 12 days of a transfer window to fix 10years of decline. Especially if people throw their hands up in horror and blame the manager for not converting Hourihane into Iniesta. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

I'm sorry. I missed the bit when we replaced all the players. Oh right, wait, we didn't so guess what? This actually IS Bruce's squad! Blimey!

but many said, there's nothing wrong with the players, its the manager in the early part of the season....so which is it?

perhaps it was both.

2 minutes ago, kiltorken said:

It was a good enough squad to hammer Boro and Derby and outplay West brom not so long ago though. 

its way too inconsistent... i get not getting results ala west brom, but the passing, possession and chances created have just turned to shite recently 

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

This is Bruce's squad. And it's not good.

It's better than this garbage though.

In Fairness, Smith does not have a lot to work with here. Two of the 5 decent players in the team are out, that's a big miss as our squad has been far too reliant upon the good players carrying the shit ones. Perhaps this lot know that their days are numbered and therefore aren't trying.

Lets see what Smith does at half time and if there is an improvement in the second half. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pintpotvilla said:

But it wasn't though was it?We had Grealish & Tuanzebe then, what a difference  they make!!

Tuanzebe missing is enormous, he used to bring it out and play it to feet, no drama even in tight situations. Without that we really struggle to play how Smith wants as the rest of them panic and haven't got the technique.

• Like 1

Just now, TRO said:

but many said, there's nothing wrong with the players, its the manager in the early part of the season....so which is it?

perhaps it was both.

Lets not forget who assembled them together as we shift blame to the players

I am struggling to find ways that we can get another man into the middle of the park. I don't think we can do it in a single change and considering that man would be Whelan, we'd need to find a way to retain some sort of attacking threat elsewhere. For all that Lansbury is hit and miss - he'd be ideal right now.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The more I watch us the more it’s apparent Bruce struggled because his players were shit and as I used to say way to much emphasis was put on the fact they weren’t being coached. (He is responsible for bringing them in though of course). 

Completely agree, get rid of the lot. They must be on some real low feeling knowing they are part of a past regime that is pretty much floating around like dust waiting to be replaced by something worthy of football.

God I hate the fact we were mismanaged for a very long time, but I hate the fact we had bruce for so long as this is what is happening even after he's left. He took to buying us a bunch of players who just can't work the game and stick to what gameplan is set out for them, I can see Smith being fuming at half time and they deserve it.

They need to show there worth because at the moment each and everyone of them who is out on that field are proving tbey don't even belong in this league.

Neil "I have 30 yards of space to walk into and 5 passing options on but am just going to kill the ball dead and hoof the bitch" Taylor.

Get out of my club you pathetic excuse for a footballer. Even Cissokho tried to actually make something happen with his limited ability.

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

What baffles me is that for the first few games, we looked brilliant. Shaky at the back, but almost disgustingly good going forward. Our front line was far too good for some of the best defences in the league. The way he had us playing had me genuinely excited to watch Villa.

A couple of months later, we can't string 2 passes together and Wigan are pinning us in our half for 20 minutes. How have we gone back to being absolute shit?! Grealish is a big loss, but it shouldn't be this pronounced.

i dont think its any coincidence it all started going south when Grealish was injured, he was their outlet, without doubt the pivot of the team, and all the shirkers would just pass him the ball.

Without him there is no-one to offload to and pass off responsibility to.

As has been said a million times, most of our players are really not that good, at all, and worse than that its not just that they arent good on the ball, they also hide off the ball.