• Bolasie
    • Abraham
    • Hause (Elphick 63)
    • Whelan (Bjarnason 63)
    • Adomah (El Ghazi 63)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/01/19 at 23:59

9 hours ago, cbr600rr said:

oh right..so your saying mon wasted money on milner-young-downing-etc etc..he mon took this club to top 6, their is not 1 manager that buys the odd dud "rdm" spent  a shed on ....

villa under mon was in a better place than the demise were in now, 

we gave man u a game at wembley ffs under mon , he gave us a side to be proud of..saying he wasted £ puts you in the fickle bracket as its the only way to build a side.ask any city fan

Oh spare me the histrionics.

Out of roughly 30 signings half a dozen were of any note.....that is in stark contrast to your ..odd one.

Of course we was in a better place than we are now and it was also much easier to attract players, despite his poor ( IMO) record......How many of his signings went on to do anything of note....Young, Milner & Delph maybe Downing.

He left because the heat in the kitchen was rising....his signings by and large were poor, so The hierarchy played their Oliver Twist line...."No more" , until you sell the ones you bought, but he knew like me, that was a fire sale only.....so he ran away.

In view of what we have had since, it was pretty good 6-6-6  but that alone does not tell the full story, it started to go wrong in Russia....and his style was more suited to away games, at Home the football and results was very debatable, i don't think in his 4 years he managed more than double figures for wins at home, some consolation for season ticket holders.

My personal view is, while he presided over a much better overall set up than we have had since....He started the decline.

back on topic

That Wigan game was not a one off either, its been coming for weeks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, chappy said:

That makes two of us! I assumed you were defending the frenzy that the people behind me I had posted about had gotten themselves into. Never mind.

Us fans, have different personalities.

some keep quiet, some rant.....but we are all passionate about the team.

We now have a manager who is one of us.....He cares his family cares....Just because we know whats wrong, fixing it is a whole different thing.

When you see such basic flaws, some fans flip, giving vent to their feelings.....personally I have no issue with it....However, when the game is in motion, it makes a bad situation worse....shouting abuse at the players during a game is unhelpful and is too late....its down BMH they should do it, if they are going to.

The problem for us is ....there are too many things behind the scenes we are not privvy to, to make an accurate judgement on the source of whats wrong.

We can see whats wrong, on the pitch, but knowing why, is just speculation.

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

This times a million.

This is one of my pet hates. People demanding to play the kids. The amount of time, about lots of things, you see people say "well it can't be any worse".

YES. IT. CAN.

If the kids were good enough then, bar maybe one or two extraordinary exceptions, they would be playing, or at least featuring here and there.

The damage that throwing a youth player in who isn't ready could do to him is huge.

Some of them are 20/21/22 why aren't they ready?

If they are not good enough, why are we not trading them?

all not good enough for us.

• Bannan
  • Hogg
  • Robinson
  • Johnson
  • Davies
  • Bowen ( bless him he was 16 when he had his trial with us)
  • Albrighton

( there's probably more)

I understand the rational that you and OBE put forward and it is not without consideration.....but we also have to think abut the manager here too....He is getting, sub standard offerings from some senior players and is limited with what Experienced ones he has to work with....He has to make his mark and show some teeth, words are sometimes just hot air....it requires action and bravery.

sure some need a cuddle....but some need the cold shoulder too.

Its an opinion about throwing them in and damaging them....someone like Andy Gray would thrive on it.....He was 19 when he started ripping it up for us....some players with the right attitude see is as an opportunity to make their mark..., not a place to poo on the pan.

Some players just want game time to prove themselves, you can't keep them in cotton wool forever.....there comes a time when its sink or swim.

we soon see who are the men and who are the boys.

I don't like losing matches as much as the next fan, but I would support the manager if I knew what he was trying to do....some of that first team I wouldn't have time for.....I love triers first and foremost and so do the fans.

In the past, it has been questionable of the judgement of some of our Bodymoor Heath people/coaches, a few examples above who have been farmed out.....maybe if we had the balls to give them a run we maybe pleasantly surprised.

Edited by TRO

8 hours ago, blandy said:

He wasted an absolute fortune on Heskey, Harewood, Warnock, Shorey, Reo Coker, Habib Bye, Zat Knight, Curtis Davis and loads of others. Loads of playerswith little or no resale value on high wages. But that's neither here nor there really, as far as Wigan goes.

It was utter tripe, the only positive being I got home quickly afterwards.

The same as at Preston, the formation and starting line up hands the opposition an advantage. Playing both El Ghazi and Bolassie, neither of whom do much helping in defensive situations means the weakness of our midfield defensively is very exposed. And given that they're in front of a pretty ropey defence that's compounding the error. ANd then on top of that Tammy is too isolated up front. It makes it easy for the oppo to outplay us in every area. Their defence isn't troubled dealing with one isolated striker, who has to keep coming deep to even get a touch, there's two lazy wingers and paperweight midfield, bar McGinn, and an error prone defence.

Saturday cried out for subs at half time, going 4-4-2, getting a grip in midfield and giving Tammy some help, or 3-5-2 even. Then again, inept performances from half the team with so many mistakes and lack of application can't be sorted by swapping a couple of them round.

That was just a whole bunch of garbage all round. And the ref was at the same low standard as the players.

**** dreadful.

Pete, can't disagree with that, just a further observation.

There is more than one way of describing a wingers approach to defensive duties.

1. Tracking back and helping to protect the fullback

2.  ball retention.

Snoddy was a battler and he would mix it....our 3 are not that type.....but they could at least keep hold of the ball...as they say, if the opposition doesn't have the ball what can they do?  its arguably a defensive function in its own right.

If a winger has little or no inclination to track back, the least he could do is his job and not surrender possession at the drop of a hat.....its another reason why a single striker gets isolated, because the winger doesn't do his prime function, never mind his secondary function.

A winger who doesn't trouble or pre-occupy the opposition is a passenger, one who doesn't even track back is a liability.

You only have to have 2 wingers, 2 fullbacks and a midfielder, playing at it.....that's half your team.

We all know, we miss Jack and Axel ....but surely we are not so brittle as a squad that we can't cope without them

Edited by TRO

15 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It seems that people don't want the youth players to play because they are ready, but in order to punish first team players who are underperforming. I get that reaction, but it's cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Its also giving the manager the opportunity to show he has balls.....and that he simply won't tolerate sub standard performance.....its about making his mark and starting how he means to go on.

it sends out a very important message.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Why ARE they ready?

If they were ready, they'd be playing.

Are some of the experienced players READY?....judging by recent performances i would say not.

Thats a judgment......its also a judgment of people who have got things wrong in the past.

sometimes a gamble can throw up surprises.....right now, with some of the performances we are seeing, its arguable if its actually a gamble.....its more hobsons choice.

Edited by TRO

On 14/01/2019 at 07:17, cbr600rr said:

oh right..so your saying mon wasted money on milner-young-downing-etc etc..he mon took this club to top 6, their is not 1 manager that buys the odd dud "rdm" spent  a shed on ....

villa under mon was in a better place than the demise were in now, 

we gave man u a game at wembley ffs under mon , he gave us a side to be proud of..saying he wasted £ puts you in the fickle bracket as its the only way to build a side.ask any city fan

Not fickle, he wasted money, played poor football, relied far too much on individual brilliance. 

Do you think Harry Redknapp was a great Portsmouth manager? Like MON, he deserves huge credit for where the club is now due to their poor management. 

Â