• Bolasie
    • Abraham
    • Hause (Elphick 63)
    • Whelan (Bjarnason 63)
    • Adomah (El Ghazi 63)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/01/19 at 23:59

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Yes, absolutely. 

If you are right and most now are 20/21.....we have a bleak future.

because, i don't see us trading our way out of this current plight.

The money we have spent over the last 10 years, we are here.....that is a pretty poor run of decisions in trading to land us here.

12 minutes ago, Londonastonvilla said:

We may be overreacting here.

We played badly with a makeshift team

People have  been calling for new signings especially in defence do we expect new players added to team only assembled in August to suddenly play well.We have some good players but we don't have  a team.

We do over react, unless it’s the previous manager who needed 2 years 4 windows and still needed more time.  Specifically, I was assured here that it takes 6 months or more to bed in new players.  Unless you’re Dean Smith, then if it takes more than 2 weeks we’re a shambles and he has to take responsibility and get it fixed fast.  Which I assume is less than 2 years and 4 windows.  

Thats not to pretend we’re doing fine and well.  We’re not.  We have a lot of work to do, on and off the pitch.  The good news is that the current manager agrees with all that, rather than calling those of us who see it, hysterical.  

Yes, we overreact. 

1 hour ago, srsmithusa said:

We do over react, unless it’s the previous manager who needed 2 years 4 windows and still needed more time.  Specifically, I was assured here that it takes 6 months or more to bed in new players.  Unless you’re Dean Smith, then if it takes more than 2 weeks we’re a shambles and he has to take responsibility and get it fixed fast.  Which I assume is less than 2 years and 4 windows.  

Thats not to pretend we’re doing fine and well.  We’re not.  We have a lot of work to do, on and off the pitch.  The good news is that the current manager agrees with all that, rather than calling those of us who see it, hysterical.  

Yes, we overreact. 

So that means, we don't overreact, if the manager agree's

players not doing their jobs, competently ,thats the issue.

these displays are unacceptable....end of.

3 hours ago, TRO said:

Its extremely difficult for any discerning fan to preside over their team failing to execute the basics.....

The fans watch the unacceptable aspects of our play and some fail to keep a lid on it, thats the diverse personality of fans.

How about Chester passing the ball to Elphick rather than forward in the 2nd minute? Why is that unacceptable?

i remember  collymore saying how dropping out the prem will send villa into the dark ages, 

from the day mon was not granted more funds villa have swirled around the plug hole & it feels & looks worse every season or even every week now..

so who do we have to plug the void to sell next? jack , mcginn & chester are the only players with any sale value.

games v wigan & these performances are becoming the norm.

4 hours ago, chappy said:

How about Chester passing the ball to Elphick rather than forward in the 2nd minute? Why is that unacceptable?

Can't say i really understand your point.

46 minutes ago, cbr600rr said:

i remember  collymore saying how dropping out the prem will send villa into the dark ages, 

from the day mon was not granted more funds villa have swirled around the plug hole & it feels & looks worse every season or even every week now..

so who do we have to plug the void to sell next? jack , mcginn & chester are the only players with any sale value.

games v wigan & these performances are becoming the norm.

Its bad decision making thats got us where we are.....by so many people.

i wouldn't give Martin O'neill luncheon vouchers with the money he wasted for the club.

Lerner turned out to be a disaster, but denying O'Niell further money to WASTE was one of his better days.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, TRO said:

Can't say i really understand your point.

That makes two of us! I assumed you were defending the frenzy that the people behind me I had posted about had gotten themselves into. Never mind.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TRO said:

So that means, we don't overreact, if the manager agree's

players not doing their jobs, competently ,thats the issue.

these displays are unacceptable....end of.

Actually, he rightly observed failures in his and player’s performance.  The over-reaction on here is that he and the players are awful and hopeless and clueless and can’t get any better and should be slagged off.  

THAT’S the over-reaction I’m referencing. It’s not an over-reaction to rightly observe there is much wrong that must change. I thought I said that clearly.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TRO said:

Its bad decision making thats got us where we are.....by so many people.

i wouldn't give Martin O'neill luncheon vouchers with the money he wasted for the club.

Lerner turned out to be a disaster, but denying O'Niell further money to WASTE was one of his better days.

oh right..so your saying mon wasted money on milner-young-downing-etc etc..he mon took this club to top 6, their is not 1 manager that buys the odd dud "rdm" spent  a shed on ....

villa under mon was in a better place than the demise were in now, 

we gave man u a game at wembley ffs under mon , he gave us a side to be proud of..saying he wasted £ puts you in the fickle bracket as its the only way to build a side.ask any city fan

3 hours ago, cbr600rr said:

mon wasted money

He wasted an absolute fortune on Heskey, Harewood, Warnock, Shorey, Reo Coker, Habib Bye, Zat Knight, Curtis Davis and loads of others. Loads of playerswith little or no resale value on high wages. But that's neither here nor there really, as far as Wigan goes.

It was utter tripe, the only positive being I got home quickly afterwards.

The same as at Preston, the formation and starting line up hands the opposition an advantage. Playing both El Ghazi and Bolassie, neither of whom do much helping in defensive situations means the weakness of our midfield defensively is very exposed. And given that they're in front of a pretty ropey defence that's compounding the error. ANd then on top of that Tammy is too isolated up front. It makes it easy for the oppo to outplay us in every area. Their defence isn't troubled dealing with one isolated striker, who has to keep coming deep to even get a touch, there's two lazy wingers and paperweight midfield, bar McGinn, and an error prone defence.

Saturday cried out for subs at half time, going 4-4-2, getting a grip in midfield and giving Tammy some help, or 3-5-2 even. Then again, inept performances from half the team with so many mistakes and lack of application can't be sorted by swapping a couple of them round.

That was just a whole bunch of garbage all round. And the ref was at the same low standard as the players.

**** dreadful.

• Like 3

I was not at the game and only seen the "highlights" (!), however I wonder if it all comes down to arrogance and a sense of entitlement.

We are in this league because we are not good enough for the Prem League.

We are where we are because "the table doesnt lie"

Just because we have a proud history, a great ground, fantastic training facilities and loyal (if somewhat fickle!) fans, does not mean we should just turn up and beat the likes of Wigan, Ipswich and all those other clubs that we seem to assume are "smaller" than us.....just watch that Sunderland documentry on Netflix...it could have been so easily Villa.

Wigan looked to have moved the ball around better, made us work hard to get possession and to be honest Villa players playing "hospital passes" to each other, some of our players doing the hard things rather than the simple things and some of our players thinking all we have to do is turn up and we will win, makes it all harder to bear.

I fear that we are going down the long exile route and will be in this league for a while, like Leeds, Wednesday, Forest etc. Yes we are "only" 5 points outside the play offs  but we should really expect more of our players to at least try harder than just turn up as they did against Wigan.

Whats the answer to this?, no idea, is it coaching, attitude, skill, desire, willingness to learn, willingness to fight for results??......or is it the big fat pay check and long contract that puts some of them in the comfort zone....?

Regards to all

Del

• Like 1

On 13/01/2019 at 11:18, OutByEaster? said:

You can't play the kids just because they're kids. The kids we have aren't better than this first team. It's not close.

This times a million.

This is one of my pet hates. People demanding to play the kids. The amount of time, about lots of things, you see people say "well it can't be any worse".

YES. IT. CAN.

If the kids were good enough then, bar maybe one or two extraordinary exceptions, they would be playing, or at least featuring here and there.

The damage that throwing a youth player in who isn't ready could do to him is huge.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

The damage that throwing a youth player in who isn't ready could do to him is huge.

This is true but sometimes you have to be brave and make the call to throw them in at the deep end, otherwise when will they make their breakthrough?

2 hours ago, delboy54 said:

I was not at the game and only seen the "highlights" (!), however I wonder if it all comes down to arrogance and a sense of entitlement.

We are in this league because we are not good enough for the Prem League.

We are where we are because "the table doesnt lie"

Just because we have a proud history, a great ground, fantastic training facilities and loyal (if somewhat fickle!) fans, does not mean we should just turn up and beat the likes of Wigan, Ipswich and all those other clubs that we seem to assume are "smaller" than us.....just watch that Sunderland documentry on Netflix...it could have been so easily Villa.

I think that's exactly right, we don't win games just because we are Aston Villa. I can only assume most clubs fan base are similar to us in that they expect to win every game and if not then there are massive deep rooted problems and the manager is not good enough. We are an average championship outfit now, no more or less, when you accept this you realise that teams better and worse than us will lose to Wigan this season, that's how a football season works unfortunately and it doesn't mean we are terrible and the manager isn't good enough. Lose 6 on the bounce and then maybe you can start to make accusations against the manager but even that is short sighted.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

This is true but sometimes you have to be brave and make the call to throw them in at the deep end, otherwise when will they make their breakthrough?

You do sometimes, but you have to leave that up to the manager. Which players does he think is ready.

People just calling for "the kids" to be used don't know if these players are ready or not. They're just assuming they are and that they'll be better than what we have. Which PROBABLY isn't true.

I have to say that in this league, the standard of refereeing is shockingly bad. I cannot recall many games I have seen in the last few years where the ref was invisible i.e.  he had a good game...

This was worrying.  Not even so much the result, which was obviously terrible.  But results can happen.  What's worrying was the manner of the defeat.  We were played off the park by a side who couldn't score up to now.  We didn't get a shot on target.  And this Villa side were the best in the league at managing to always score (we'd only failed once this season).  And the first 11 was arguably our strongest possible side with the one obvious omission, so we couldn't really blame a lack of personnel.  It's like the effort wasn't there.  Except for McGinn of course.  They need to buck their ideas up pronto or this mountain will become too big to climb.

• Like 1

Â