• Bolasie
    • Abraham
    • Hause (Elphick 63)
    • Whelan (Bjarnason 63)
    • Adomah (El Ghazi 63)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/01/19 at 23:59

5 hours ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Awful, awful result. 

Not seen the whole match, just the highlights and read the match thread, but by all accounts Wigan thoroughly deserved the victory and we were extremely poor.

I am not going to over react and make ridiculous comments that Smith hasn't got a clue, job to big for him ETC ETC, it is one game in albeit a poor little run of performances but he's still only been here a few months and he deserves a little patience from us before the knives come out.

For me, it's as much a mental problem as anything else, we have just come off a decent run playing top sides and lost 1 game to the league leaders in the last minute, we then play the so called "lesser" sides and we are out-fought and out-battled by teams that want it more than us. This is something Smith has to sort and sort ASAP, whether it be installing a different mentality with the players here or finding new players with that hunger or our promotion play off hopes will be gone by the end of January.

I think some of our players think they have already 'made it' playing for a club like ours on big wages, but this attitude needs to change quickly or we will be in this league for a good while.

And one last thing, it is quite ridiculous how much we miss Jack, one player missing should NOT affect the team this much, but it does. Other teams will and have coped with injuries much better than us.

Time we started fighting like lions, the fans deserve better.

We have been a victim of that syndrome for such a long time.....when is that going to change?

some of our players appear like they don't have to work, scrap and fight for possession and work, fight and scrap to keep the ball....the initiative gets yielded oh so ****ing easily.

its so puny at times you would think the kids were playing.

Honestly.....when was the last time we made a tackle and the crowd went ooooh......years.

I am not saying I want dirty play, but crikey, we have gone the other way....I am surprised we ever get injured....perhaps they are just tough in training.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Londonastonvilla said:

Terrible performance terrible result

Scapegoat this time well it can't be Nyland ,Hutton,Elhamody,Bruce,Hogan need some new ones

Bjarnason, Whelan, Hourihane, Bree, Taylor

there's some to get on with.

3 hours ago, ExhallVillan said:

"your f******g s***"   sang the home fans:

"we,re f******g s***-----we,re f******g s***"  --------------------sang the travelling faithful-----and boy we sure were!!!    that was absolutely dire not one shot on target----in 55 years watching Villa it ranks amongst one of the worst performances ive had the mis-pleasure to watch!!

Tammy and McGinn apart---the rest can stay on Wigan Pier for me!!!  shocking----we should all be refunded from their mega mega astronmical remittances they are rewarded with for masquerading as professional footballlers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

what an indictment....they should hang their heads in shame.

I would play the kids.....how can it be worse.

Jack Clarke - 18

Declan Rice -19

as examples

you have to play them, we might be surprised.

put them in....at least the crowd will get behind them.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

When I saw House coming on I thought we were going to go to a back 3 and add an extra player in Midfield. We might as well have done as the two full backs were absolute garbage today. Bree does not have the skill to play the role Dean wants, and Taylor is just not good at all.

33 minutes ago, USA_Villa said:

When I saw House coming on I thought we were going to go to a back 3 and add an extra player in Midfield. We might as well have done as the two full backs were absolute garbage today. Bree does not have the skill to play the role Dean wants, and Taylor is just not good at all.

Taylor was not good at either end today.  But I thought Bree actually did pretty well.  He did better than at least half our side.   

What a performance, and not in a good way.

Our passing was diabolical. Either straight to a Wigan player, or straight out. Other than McGinn, there was no enthusiasm or effort. Tammy may as well have left the pitch and gone and got himself a hotdog. It was the only service he was going to get.

Our defence was too passive, and just ineffective. It was if Villa were providing Wigan a training session to practice their attack, while building their confidence. It would be nice if another team could do that for us. Can somebody please remind me why Terry is here again?

I am actually scared to say that was the worst I have seen Villa play, because I fear the response from Villa. Worst game you say? Challenge accepted. Watch how crap we are next week.

1 hour ago, smg said:

‘Play the kids, the crowd will get behind them’  No they won’t they will be on their backs as soon as they make a mistake.

The way so many of our players seem to be underperforming could be due to the pressure we put on our players.

People have stated we should be winning our next 4/5 games easily ,this league is unpredictable,we have an extremely unbalanced squad,how many games have these players played together

Our defence yesterday how many times  have they played together?

18 hours ago, screwdriver said:

If the fans hadn't got on his back he would have steadied the ship.

Appointing smith was a wet dream straight out of roy of the rovers

Utter rubbish. His record this season is worse than Smith's and clearly he was just waiting for the payout. Steadied the ship my arris. Let's not re-write history because we have had a few bad games. You really think Bruce would have been the answer? Fans supported him for a very long time before turning, shame you and a small number of others can't afford Smith the same courtesy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chappy said:

I’ve had some bad away trips, Bradford and Newcastle immediately spring to mind. However, that was the worst performance I think I’ve ever seen from us. Absolutely insipid. Apart from one Tammy chance, played in by Bolasie, we just didn’t look even remotely threatening at any point.

I voted Smith very poor. I’m still 100% behind him - there are some ‘hysterical’ overreactions going on in his thread - but he got it wrong today. The subs were baffling. Hause for Elphick?? I’m reluctant to slate a player on debut but he was embarrassingly bad when he came on. Hope it was a one off! Bringing on Whelan when you’re behind doesn’t make sense - Davis should’ve come on and gone two up top. Tammy was so isolated that bringing on a strike partner seemed the obvious move. Adomah barely touched the ball, much like El Ghazi, who he had replaced.

Wouldnt he surprised if Tammy was straight on the phone to his agent when he got home - after snubbing Wolves to stay with us, how did we repay him?! Not sure I’ve seen a striker be so isolated by the failings of his own midfield! And when Wigan fans are singing “you should’ve signed for a big club” at you then you know something isn’t right.

The only player to come out with any credit for me is McGinn. When he served his two match suspension we are in real trouble. Wish he had been instructed to pick up a yellow in the QPR game.

Ever since Grealish hobbled off against the Baggies we have been on a downward trajectory. The Rodriguez handball. The soft goals conceded against Stoke. Allowing Leeds to come back from 2-0. This needs arresting and it needs to happen now. Unfortunately we are up against one of the form teams in the division next week but you’ve still got to look at Hull at home as a game we should be winning. I’d like to see Lansbury in from the start to help McGinn out in the middle. Kodjia should play too, although my Dad text me at ht yesterday saying he’s off to Nice for 5m?

Long post sorry but one more thing that made yesterday even worse, and I hate saying it, but some of our fans are awful. We were bad yesterday but from the first minute at 0-0 the moaning had started in N1 (Row GG and behind). It isn’t healthy to get yourself so wound up over a misplaced pass - some of the contorted faces and vitriolic abuse being spouted. I had to turn around and say something at one point, Bree had cleared the ball into touch under pressure from a Wigan player and there wasn’t another option on other than putting it out - the abuse he got for it was embarrassing. I moved for the second half as the incessant negativity was compounding an already depressing performance from the team.

Tl;dr McGinn is great everything else is rubbish

Its extremely difficult for any discerning fan to preside over their team failing to execute the basics.....week in , week out .....it makes you wonder, what exactly  do they do.

other teams have set backs....and they get a reaction....we just crawl in to a shell.

some of the poor pitch craft we see in games like this, are evidence in other games too i.e whelan failing to contol the ball and conceding a spot kick.

The fans watch the unacceptable aspects of our play and some fail to keep a lid on it, thats the diverse personality of fans.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

You can't play the kids just because they're kids. The kids we have aren't better than this first team. It's not close.

So they will be worse than losing 3-0 every week?

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

You can't play the kids just because they're kids. The kids we have aren't better than this first team. It's not close.

I totally agree.

but to do the same things delivers the same results.

Dean Smith hasn't got players in the right mental zone to be playing.....and he hasn't got replacements either. These players need a shock to understand what standards are not acceptable.

Our young players are not ready in the physical side of the game granted, but they have to learn....if they are not going on loan, they need first team experience.

The evidence is clear we are hit and miss in the transfer market, FFP is always around  the corner....and the better young players in the division that have been under our noses, like Bowen and lolley, just get ignored....they are even Villa fans.

some of our key players over the years have come from the youth:

• Brian Little
  • Gary Shaw
  • Gareth Barry
  • Sid Cowans
  • Jack Grealish

We have to produce our own.....we will never know if we don't play them.

We are not going up with this mottley crew ( meaning a huge chunk of the team)......give them their wings.....we have nothing to lose, with this group of first teamers, and everything to gain from the youth.

but just remember, there are kids around the country playing in the first at 18/19 some of ours are c 20/21......if they are not good enough, we need to deal with it and stop procrastinating.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

Â