• Bolasie
    • Abraham
    • Hause (Elphick 63)
    • Whelan (Bjarnason 63)
    • Adomah (El Ghazi 63)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/01/19 at 23:59

To me it seems like 1) we need a preseason, cause I am not sure these players are on sync at all. 2) Our fullbacks are so bad, it honestly feels like we are playing with less men on the pitch. 

Then add the situation where Hourihane and Bjarnason are pretty shit, and half the team on the pitch needs replacing, and the other half have no idea what they are trying to do. No wonder we are losing matches.

2 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Lost for words. So bad. Kalinic and McGinn was OK. Taylor should not play anymore.

I thought Kalinic was poor along with the rest of the team as well. Didnt want to have a go at a guy whos just got here. But he kicked it out of play more often than finding a player. Didnt cover himself with glory with any of the goals either. The one save he did make was straight at him and would have been harder not to save it.

Not wanting to over react but I think after the last 6 weeks smith should be put under pressure given how we have regressed. I have not seen any of the game today but the result was disgusting. I am just looking at the league and we have won 9 games out of 27 that is so poor. 

This is a side that supposedly has a £30 million striker a midfielder who many think is the best in the league (I know he has been missing for a month) a winger that Everton paid a fortune For. Add McGinn into this and the question is how under 2 managers have we only one 9 games all season. Awful 

It would help if we had a leader on the pitch. Nobody was organising that back four and nobody was clenching the fist and demanding a response. We are a leaderless team on the pitch.

Chester should be stripped of the armband - he isn't captain material and we badly need somebody who is ! 

• Like 2

Smith is an absolute joke.

His subs were incredible! losing 1 nil he brings on Hause and Glen Whelan. Theres no shape or style of play. we rely on lung bursting runs from Bolasie or McGinn. We can't pass short range without the 3rd pass being given away cheap.

His signings are absolute garbage. the goaly and hause were nervous wrecks. just booting it out of play.

At least Bruce knew how to park the bus. I had a feeling we would regret sacking Bruce.

The job is too big for Dean Smith he's another gary rowet will do well at little teams with no expectation. just like paul cook but I doubt anyone would want him here.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, screwdriver said:

At least Bruce knew how to park the bus. I had a feeling we would regret sacking Bruce.

I'm certainly not regretting Bruce being gone. I think we'd be further in the shit by now.

• Like 3

Wow, that was a miserable performance. 4,000 Villa fans deserve a refund and a apology letter in the post. 

Whatever sparkle we had before Christmas has well and truly been extinguished. 

Wigan put us under pressure and we crumpled. There was no structure or pattern to any of our play, we couldn't get our of our half. Wigan pressed us well, but what disappointed me is that we didn't have the quality or the desire to overcome it. The midfield were awful, barring McGinn who tried his hardest to grab the game by the scruff of the neck. 

But let's talk individuals, I thought Chester was lucky not to be pulled rather than Elphick. He looks uncomfortable on the ball and didn't win anything in the air against hardly the most imposing front line. Taylor was timid, scared to try anything on the ball resulting in putting whoever he passed to under pressure, off the ball he stood off and let Wigan play. 

Bree was meh, he's not on the naughty list but has proven that right back is still a problem position for us and he isn't the answer. 

Bjarnason needs putting out of his misery, being able to run seems to be his only quality. I'd like to never see him in a Villa shirt again. What's galling is that our only other option is Glen Whelan who is 5 or 6 years past his prime, and in his prime he wasn't good enough for us. Hourihane looks pedestrian alongside McGinn, who is the only player in our midfield who looks bothered. Central midfield is a big problem for us, without Grealish we lack any sort of creativity, it's apparent how reliant we are on him. 

El Ghazi is blows hot and cold, and as such you can't rely on him consistently. Made a few good runs today and have the ball away stupidly many more times. 

Bolasie is a fancy Dan past his best who when the chips are down doesn't care enough to help his team out. He needs dropping, regardless of who our other options are. 

Abraham tried but wasn't given much service today. He missed a golden opportunity early on, he's got a habit of only scoring goals you would really expect a striker to score. He gets into good positions and times his runs well, but his finishing is so so, he's never going to single handedly pull a rabbit out a hat and get you back in the game. He's a striker that is always a reflection of the teams overall performance. 

Hause looked decidedly dodgy when he came on. He didn't learn from getting mugged not long after coming on, he continued to do it. I think he got caught in possession 3 times, I think he was only on the pitch for half an hour. A shocking debut and worrying sign of things to come. 

Kalinic equally hasn't filled me with confidence, he got his hand to the second goal but it still went it. 

The last two performances has sapped the enthusiasm out of me completely. Obviously we're missing Grealish who is our best player by a mile and Tuenzebe has also been a massive miss, but the drop in performance from the team has been appalling. 

We'll be lucky to make the top half let alone the play offs. I don't know what Smith is doing, but isn't working. That was up there with the worst Villa performances I've ever seen. 

• Sad 1

I said at the start of this thread if we lose it’ll start to get ugly for us and Smith and it has. Utter utter shambles. Terrible all round and no place to hide for Smith and players. 

No plan. No idea. Out battled, out fought and outplayed by the league’s worst form team. 

Taylor, El Ghazi, Bolasie, **** Whelan, Thor etc all absolutely **** awful. Tammy didn’t touch the ball. We’ve fallen off a cliff since Baggies and Grealish got injured. And the triple substitution was just pointless, bizarre and massively harmed an already under performing team. 

There’s no sign whatsoever of us winning against anyone. Players look utterly terrible and Smith has a lot to answer for. 

Absolutely dreadful. Feel like top six has gone purely because we aren’t even showing a glimpse of controlling a game and winning a football match. 

Edited by roonst83

8 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

If the fans hadn't got on his back he would have steadied the ship.

Appointing smith was a wet dream straight out of roy of the rovers

Bruce steadied the f***ing ship years ago and then proceeded to sink it game on game. Even after today, I'd take Smith over Bruce without hesitation. Smith had a bad day .... Bruce was bad full stop !

• Like 2

A mentally and physically frail and scared team.

You get at us, we'll crumble.  Not enough players who give a monkey, happy playing for "we are a big club f.c.".

No leaders like we had with Terry, who at least demands performances from his team mates.  On paper, with a defence, we should be beating Wigan and other teams around the division comfortably.  We lack tge confidence to work together and that's worrying.

Said it a few weeks ago, but that's another year in championship.

Â