Player Departures - 2019

AvfcRigo82

8 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

I'm really looking forward to the summer where we will lose so many overpaid old players and free up invaluable wages for players who can only improve and make us shit loads of money if we have to sell them.

That seems the Dean Smith way.  I guess we will sell come summer if it as Smith finding these gems or whether it was Brentfords scouting network which was rumoured before he came here.

Hause didn't impreß on debut and I think kalanic wasn't a Smith signing as we have been interested in him for a while  

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

That seems the Dean Smith way.  I guess we will sell come summer if it as Smith finding these gems or whether it was Brentfords scouting network which was rumoured before he came here.

Hause didn't impreß on debut and I think kalanic wasn't a Smith signing as we have been interested in him for a while  

Time will tell Dem,

I guess for a plethora of people Dean Smith does not fill them with confidence in the transfer market going by past dealings.

I guess we won't know what he is like until the summer.

56 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Time will tell Dem,

I guess for a plethora of people Dean Smith does not fill them with confidence in the transfer market going by past dealings.

I guess we won't know what he is like until the summer.

Yep I agree. I'm not sure on this villa structure.  To me it seems jesus is finding the players and running them through with Smith and purslow then they make the decision.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yep I agree. I'm not sure on this villa structure.  To me it seems jesus is finding the players and running them through with Smith and purslow then they make the decision.

We've also yet to see what Juanfran brings to the party..

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Dean Smith's appointment as manager is going to be a pivotal moment in Aston Villa history, one way or the other. We could lose all "these experienced" old players and the result being next season we end up with players from the Irish League 1, League One, League Two or from some sub par european division. We could turn profit on a few players which would be against the grain and business model that we currently operate. If it all goes wrong we can end up with a major rebuilding process of the entire team which could cement our place in the lower leagues for the foreseeable.

For every negative theres a positive.

We could sign these cheap players, turn over millions of profit on players, and get promoted. Dean Smith becomes Villa Park legend. 

Either way Smith is going to have a direct impact on Aston Villa like none before him......I am glad hes a Villa fan!

• Like 1

On 11/01/2019 at 15:34, AvfcRigo82 said:

Of our group of players we have in on loan:

Yannick Bolasie - Shown little glimpses of magic here and there but is worryingly inconsistent at this level and not worth £70k pw wages. Return to parent club.

First one out the door then.   :thumb:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So, with the season over and we have Premier League status again I thought I would bump the thread and see who we feel and those that will be leaving us come June.

List is updated from the OP of the thread.

Orjan Nyland - So far he has been very shakey and not filled me with confidence. One I would look to sell or loan out. (Sell or Loan)

Jed Steer - Out of contract in June, not sure if he is worth another contract and I would let him go. - {Has since done enough and showed he deserves to stay}

Kalinic - Joined us in January for around £7m but not seen enough of him yet but should be a decent keeper.

Mark Bunn - Out of contract in June and barely features anyway. Why he was given a one year extension I have no idea. (O.O.C)

Micah Richards - Leaves in June. At last! (O.O.C)

Ritchie De Laet - Out of contract and not sure he would cut it in the Premier League anymore anyway. (O.O.C)

Neil Taylor - Not good enough at this level or Premier League and needs moved on. (Sell or Loan)

Alan Hutton - Out of contract in June sadly and will be a shame to see him leave. (O.O.C)

Tommy Elphick - Another player who has had a topsy turvy time at Villa, hopefully he can help us with promotion before his contract expires in June. Decent at this level imo. - Was brought back from the wilderness under DS and played okay but I think he will be moved on)  (O.O.C)

Ahmed Elmohamady - Another player who is best as a back up player at this level and should be sold. - He has shown that he can infact be a useful backup to our new French RB, Keep.

Aaron Tshibola - Hopefully he can be offloaded by loan or sale. Cannot see a future here for him. (Sell or Loan)

Glenn Whelan - Out of contract in June and can barely cut it in this league anyway. (O.O.C)

Birkir Bjarnason - Decent backup option for a team at this level and should sell him while we can still command a few quid. (Sell)

Mile Jedinak - Knees are shot and out of contract in June. (O.O.C)

Henri Lansbury - This league is his level but too injury prone imo and should be sold.  (Sell or Loan)

Andre Green - Sadly, I Can't see what he would offer us in the PL. I would cash in now. (Sell or Loan)

Gary Gardner - Not good enough and his Villa career is over. Sell or loan.  (Sell or Loan)

Albert Adomah - Not the player he was when he joined. Handy backup for someone at this level.(Sell or Loan)

Ross McCormack - Villa career is over. Should be sold but will prob be loaned again. (Sell or Loan)

Rushian Hepburn-Murphy - Once a promising youngster but won't cut it in the PL imo. (Sell or Loan)

Kiernan Davis - Another player full of promise that is not living up to his early hype. Loan out unless an offer is made. Cannot see him in the PL. (Sell or Loan)

Scott Hogan - Sell to a team at this level. Not the player he once was.  (Sell or Loan)

Johnny Kodja - Still decent at this level and could sell to recoup a few quid. Would keep him as a backup striker but at PL level, i'm not so sure.  Sell.  (Sell or Loan)

Of our group of players we have in on loan:

Tammy Abraham - Would sign him for sure if the price was right. £30m tops.  (Sign him up!)

Axel Tuanzebe - Another player with a big future ahead of him and would also sign him if the price was right. £25m tops.   (Sign him up!)

Kortney Hause - I am still not convinced by him but the manager may see something different. Could be useful backup but I feel we can purchase a better option

Anwar El Ghazi - Not lit the place alight so far and remains to be seen what he can actually do. I wouldn't extend his loan based on what i've seen so far though. - and I am wrong. He's had a great season, he loves it here and sliced through Derby with ease in the PO Final.  (Sign him up!)

We could see up to 24 players leave through being sold, loaned out, out of contract or returning to their parent clubs, leaving us with around 7/8 players.

Could be a very exciting few months with a hive of activity.

• Like 1

It's mental cause even if we didn't get promoted we had a ton of deadwood from the last 3-4-5 years that had to get fecked. And with promotion a lot of the championship seniors won't be good enough, AND the loans we had aren't exactly ours to begin with. 

This summer will be bonkers in terms of transfer activity. It just has to be. 

• Like 3

On 29/05/2019 at 04:27, AvfcRigo82 said:

We could see up to 24 players leave through being sold, loaned out, out of contract or returning to their parent clubs, leaving us with around 7/8 players.

Could be a very exciting few months with a hive of activity.

the problem is replacing the entire team bar a handful is proven (fulham) to not be the way to operate. i know that you already know this, but real life isnt football manager, where it's a piece of piss to just go out and buy a whole new team...it's going to take us a few seasons to do this so we're going to have to keep a core group in the meantime, which will include players we do not think are good enough (i dont disagree with many you've listed above...perhaps just kodj, i reckon he'll up the effort on the big stage), and hopefully make enough signings in key positions to make us competitive

i saw a few bournemouth games when they were in the championship and i wasn't going to villa and i said when they went up there's no way even half those players would cut it in the PL...well they proved me and many others wrong. they signed bugger all that summer and were just fine.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

the problem is replacing the entire team bar a handful is proven (fulham) to not be the way to operate. i know that you already know this, but real life isnt football manager, where it's a piece of piss to just go out and buy a whole new team...it's going to take us a few seasons to do this so we're going to have to keep a core group in the meantime, which will include players we do not think are good enough (i dont disagree with many you've listed above...perhaps just kodj, i reckon he'll up the effort on the big stage), and hopefully make enough signings in key positions to make us competitive

i saw a few bournemouth games when they were in the championship and i wasn't going to villa and i said when they went up there's no way even half those players would cut it in the PL...well they proved me and many others wrong. they signed bugger all that summer and were just fine.

I agree with you and I would agree this to be the case, but we do have a load of players that are out of contract and on loan who are leaving. - How many do we keep of the expired contracted?

Of the crop of players left (Grealish, McGinn aside) I don't really rate the poole itself.

Tshibola, McCormack, Taylor etc.

I think it's going to be  very very busy summer.

6 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I agree with you and I would agree this to be the case, but we do have a load of players that are out of contract and on loan who are leaving. - How many do we keep of the expired contracted?

Of the crop of players left (Grealish, McGinn aside) I don't really rate the poole itself.

Tshibola, McCormack, Taylor etc.

I think it's going to be  very very busy summer.

yeah was always going to be a busy summer for the reasons you mentioned. all i'll say is lets not make it busier for us by selling the players still under contract that are not completely shite (so tsh, ross, scott i'm not talking about you) such as taylor, albert, green, and maybe even thor and lansbury. not like we'd get any real money for them to strengthen anyway...i'd say we'd be lucky to get 10m for all 5 of those. we'd do well just to get mings for that

18 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

I agree with this, we need to keep some continuity and that will mean keeping hold of a few players we maybe don't think are good enough to fill out the squad.

I think Taylor will stay, just as a backup to whoever we bring at left back, he has Premier League experience which should not be cast aside so quickly.

I wouldn't be surprised if Whelan is offered a 1 year extension, again as a squad player with Premier League experience, I'm not his biggest fan but I can see how he can be handy to have around and useful from the bench.

I don't think we'll be able to shift Lansbury because of his wages, and I think Smith likes the look of him so likely he will stay until January and then get loaned somewhere if fit but not playing.

Elphick, I'm not sure what will happen with him, had a decent run in the team until injury, it will depend on what happens with Tuanzebe and Mings I guess, but I wouldn't be too shocked if he was offered a 1 year deal to stay as cover.

Kodjia, I think will stay unless somebody offers us good money, he's a good impact player to have from the bench and can play in any of the three positions up top.

Davis, Green and Hepburn-Murphy will be retained but likely loaned out.

Other than the rest of the obvious ones that are staying the rest can go for me, I don't think we'll be able to shift some of them because of the wages, so there could be a few loans with subsidised wages again.

Are there any kids coming through that might be able to help fill out the squad? I like the look of O'Hare from what I've seen but really don't follow the youth teams very much.

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

yeah was always going to be a busy summer for the reasons you mentioned. all i'll say is lets not make it busier for us by selling the players still under contract that are not completely shite (so tsh, ross, scott i'm not talking about you) such as taylor, albert, green, and maybe even thor and lansbury. not like we'd get any real money for them to strengthen anyway...i'd say we'd be lucky to get 10m for all 5 of those. we'd do well just to get mings for that

True.

I think we are in a position to be able to build and bring in who we want first and then look to offload the surplus..

Wether that is 5 folk or 15.. it's good to feel in control for once rather than wait for someone to say buy McCormack for £5m in order for us to be able to strengthen elsewhere. Great to be ran like a proper club at last.

• Like 1

According to Sky Sports transfer centre, Adomah, Jedinak, Hutton, Whelan and Elphick were all on the agenda of a meeting last night, to discuss whether to give them a new contract or not, so we should hear something in relation to them soon.

Interesting that De Laet, Bunn and Richards weren't mentioned, so it seems they will definitely be gone when their contracts run out. 

Also, the following are out of contract; Guy, Rowe, Farr, McConnachie, Odutayo, Suliman, Patterson, Vassilev, Bazeley-Graham, Clarke, Walker, Ige, Lomax. 

From AvfcRigo 82's post, the players I think that the club would like to shift are;

Nyland, Tshibola, Gardner, McCormack, Hogan, Bjarnasson, the five mentioned on Sky Sports and anyone else mentioned above.

I doubt we'll get Abrahams, or Tuanzabe, unfortunately as I think their clubs will try them out next season rather than loan them out.

I reckon we'll sign El Ghazi, Hause and Mings.

And if you believe all of the clickbait going around, we're going to sign anyone who's available, which goes against everything Purslow and Smith talked about after Mondays game.

• Like 1

Part of me wonders if it would be prudent to offer Jedinak, Whelan and Hutton a new 1 year contract on vastly reduced terms (ie: low base salary and bonis for playing), and the knowledge they won't play much.

Reason being to keep the continuity of the senior players who although would probably not get in the first 11, might be key to have around the club and training ground to keep the standards and culture high.

They are all true professionals and may be keeping them for another year to help bed in the new signings in to our new found togetherness and culture might be a wise decision.

Not saying we should, but we need to be careful not to sign 11 new players, get rid of all our old key professionals and lose the culture and togetherness we built over this season.

Maybe even get whelan and jedinak in to player / coach roles if they suit what we are doing?, dunno.

• Like 2

Â