Player Departures - 2019

AvfcRigo82

Surely the only 2nd tier club in the world that decided to renew a 3rd choice semi retired goalkeeper's contract at 15k per week. Not even Richard Wright was on that at Citeh.

Another load of money down the shitter. Thank God we got promoted.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, terrytini said:

I’d have kept Whelan, and wouldn’t have minded Jedi.....two fierce, tough, characters, the like of which we will need.....but that’s only based on who we have now. I’ve no concern letting them go as I’ve every confidence the club has a plan in place, and there will be fierce tough characters coming in ( Mings for example).

It is testament to Smith that he kept those players ( Jedi, Whelan, Albert, Hutton And Bunn) ready, willing, and able, to play their part right to the end, considering they must’ve been aware they’d be going. And testament to the character of those players. Wish them well.

If he can do that with players who weren’t his choice, and who were to leave, it bodes well for how he will do with those that come next.

Anyone who went to Sheffield United game will know Jedinak is done starting games now and that's one of the teams we need to finish above next season so can't really see why it's such a shock he's been released, pretty sure it was rumoured in January he'd pretty much agreed a move back to A league in Australia.

Whelan is more debatable.

Ultimately midfield is an area where we have two stick on starters and they're our best two players anyway now the loans have gone back. We'll sign at least one DM, Jota would be back up for Jack imo and Hourihane can back up McGinn.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Anyone who went to Sheffield United game will know Jedinak is done starting games now and that's one of the teams we need to finish above next season so can't really see why it's such a shock he's been released, pretty sure it was rumoured in January he'd pretty much agreed a move back to A league in Australia.

Whelan is more debatable.

Ultimately midfield is an area where we have two stick on starters and they're our best two players anyway now the loans have gone back. We'll sign at least one DM, Jota would be back up for Jack imo and Hourihane can back up McGinn.

Well, as you quoted me it looks like you are making observations on my Post....Just in case that is so.....

....yes, we all know Jedi can’t start games. But then , I never suggested he should.

.....is it a shock he’s been released ? I’ve not seen anyone shocked, or even slightly alarmed ?

On to your own point about the Midfield...... yes, it’s obvious we need players there. But I tend not to speculate on stuff like how many etc since the Manager will do whatever he thinks necessary.

Ummm, Jedinak started a couple of games during our 10 in a row win streak and also played 53 minutes against Rotherham after we went down to 10 men.

I mean yeah he's almost certainly done as a top flight player, he's probably quite content with his career at Palace and Villa and will likely head back to Oz, but I think it's disingenuous to say he was 'done starting games' following the Sheffield United game. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

Can't find a reason to argue with any of these players going. Richards was a disastrous signing. Hutton, Jedinak and Whelan all closer to my age than Jack's. Elphick and Adomah, both likeable, but hard to see either of them making a mark in the PL. Bunn should have gone long before now. DeLaet was unfortunate with his injury when he came here and ended up down the pecking order of our millionty RB's.

I can't see Nyland, McCormack, Hogan, Gardner, Tshibola or Bjarnason getting much game time here next year. The youngsters Davis, RHM, JDH, Suliman and Sarkic all have a lot to prove surely regular game time somewhere would do them the world of good. O'Hare and Green I can see being around the first team squad.

I think Lansbury, Kodjia and Taylor will survive any mass cull. Bree I'm not so sure on.

• Like 2

Amazingly terrible news. A big lesson to learn from though. I should imagine we've paid him off either in full or agreed to pay a significant percentage of his remaining contract. I wonder whether this is going to some sort of smart accounting that allows us to report a lower wage bill next year or some such?

18 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

Amazingly terrible news. A big lesson to learn from though. I should imagine we've paid him off either in full or agreed to pay a significant percentage of his remaining contract. I wonder whether this is going to some sort of smart accounting that allows us to report a lower wage bill next year or some such?

probably to also allow us more flexibility with wages?, arent clubs only allowed a max of X of their turnover in wages?

Consider we have just cut 350k ish WEEKLY off our wage bill, or 19 million a year.........which could likely now be utilised for wages of players who will benefit us in the Prem.

there are probably some accounting things going on as you say, but we need to learn our lessons though, we cant keep making these really really expensive mistakes.

Edited by MaVilla

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

probably to also allow us more flexibility with wages?, arent clubs only allowed a max of X of their turnover in wages?

Consider we have just cut 350k ish WEEKLY off our wage bill, or 19 million a year.........which could likely now be utilised for wages of players who will benefit us in the Prem.

there are probably some accounting things going on as you say, but we need to learn our lessons though, we cant keep making these really really expensive mistakes.

I think it is more the fact when signing players we haven't got a player on 70k who doesn't even train.

Not much bargaining power with agents there.

• Like 1

On 02/06/2019 at 11:37, rodders0223 said:

Surely the only 2nd tier club in the world that decided to renew a 3rd choice semi retired goalkeeper's contract at 15k per week. Not even Richard Wright was on that at Citeh.

Another load of money down the shitter. Thank God we got promoted.

He was deemed second choice! Madness.

Â