Player Departures - 2019

AvfcRigo82

Big thanks due to most of that lot. But, Whelan aside, none of them were ever getting renewed and with good reason. Whelan was perhaps a borderline call but I think it augurs well for our ambitions that he's also been let go. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lord Willard said:

Who's the oldest player we have on the books now minus Ross

A quick search suggests that the players who already are or who will be in their thirties next season are -

Elmo 31 (32 in September)

Thor 31 (32 in May)

Chester 30 (31 in January)

Taylor 30 (31 in February)

Kodjia 29 (30 in October)

Kalinic 29 (30 in April)

Of the 8 gone, 1 (Whelan) may have done a job in the premier league, but in Smith et al we trust. 

5 have helped in their own way to get this club back and I am forever grateful for.

1 (De Laet) had unfortunate times of injuries and perhaps things could have been different.

1 (Bunn) has been through thick and thin as a back up and has stepped into the breach when necessary and can’t fault him in that sense. 

Richards, well, whilst he may have helped the youth and team spirit... :wave:

4 hours ago, DJ_Villain said:

Really nice video...

Obviously chuffed we have gone up, but as part and parcel of that, we have to let some of the lads go...

Dont care what anyone says, Hutton became one of us and deserves a testimonial for a lot of the shit that previous managers dumped on him for one reason or another...

Richards however can do one!

Surprised they didn't include Whelans finest moment for us in his compilation.😉 

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 2

I’d have kept Whelan, and wouldn’t have minded Jedi.....two fierce, tough, characters, the like of which we will need.....but that’s only based on who we have now. I’ve no concern letting them go as I’ve every confidence the club has a plan in place, and there will be fierce tough characters coming in ( Mings for example).

It is testament to Smith that he kept those players ( Jedi, Whelan, Albert, Hutton And Bunn) ready, willing, and able, to play their part right to the end, considering they must’ve been aware they’d be going. And testament to the character of those players. Wish them well.

If he can do that with players who weren’t his choice, and who were to leave, it bodes well for how he will do with those that come next.

• Like 2

Smith actually has a history for this kind of thing. He let 14 go in his first season at Walsall and brought 12 in, 18 came in during his first window for Brentford (according to Wikipedia). 

With that in mind we shouldn't be too surprised that we've let so many go. He obviously backs himself to be able to integrate a large number of players in one go, I trust him, but there's always that 'look at what happened to Fulham' argument nagging away. 

I only ever thought Whelan and maybe Elphick (depending on how many center backs we had lined up) had any chance of being offered an extension, but I can't say I'm all that disappointed that they haven't.

We've got some serious business to do now!

13 hours ago, av1 said:

With 8 gone I'm probably being greedy in hoping Bjarnasson, Lansbury, Tishbola, Hogan and RMC will soon follow. :wave:

I can see Bjarnasson and Hogan going for fees, albeit smaller ones. Gardner is pretty much gone and Tishbola might go on a free. Maybe Taylor, Bree and Kodija too for fees.

The club's feels like it is moving unerrimgly in its chosen direction.

15 hours ago, PatrickCousens said:

Whelan was perhaps a borderline call but I think it augurs well for our ambitions that he's also been let go. 

Don't think it was anywhere near a borderline call. We are down to 13 senior players as it stands (3 of those are keepers) if there was anything borderline about it we would have kept him.

The truth is he is will be turning 36 this season, his best days are clearly behind him. Whilst hes done ok in the last few months in the championship he last played in the premier league a good few years ago and was released by a club who held him in high regard.

There are not many 36+ year olds in the top flight (excluding goalkeepers) and CMs tend to do more running than most positions

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Pez1974 said:

I can see Bjarnasson and Hogan going for fees, albeit smaller ones. Gardner is pretty much gone and Tishbola might go on a free. Maybe Taylor, Bree and Kodija too for fees.

The club's feels like it is moving unerrimgly in its chosen direction.

Do we think tishibola is beyond redemption?

Can't say I have ever seen him play tbh.

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

Do we think tishibola is beyond redemption?

Can't say I have ever seen him play tbh.

Never say never but he wasn't getting in the Kilmarnock team recently

18 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

I like it. Ruthless and efficient. No time for sentiment where we are going. 

Not sure the people who spent time putting that lovely, cuddly video together would be happy with the view that it was “ruthless and efficient”! 😂

18 hours ago, Pez1974 said:

A keeper. 3 RBs. A central defender. 2 holding midfielders and a defensive minded winger.

A nucleus is a Steve Bruce team right there.

Good to see the Bruce obsessives are still stalking these pages, keeping his memory alive against all the odds. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Basing the wages off FM19 which is normally fairly accurate:

Elphick - 25k p/w

Jedinak - 45k p/w

Hutton - 30k p/w

Bunn - 15k p/w

Richards - 50k p/w

Whelan - 30k p/w

De Laet - 25k p/w

Adomah - 25k p/w

Total - 245k p/w or 980k p/m