Formula One - 2019

BOF

10 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Not the most auspicious of starts for Williams as they haven't eve managed to get their car ready for the first day of pre-season testing today and will not run until at least tomorrow.

They don't run until Wednesday now.

With all the usual caveats that go around pre-season testing, I am encouraged by McLaren's early showing.  They've been reliable and on pace.  Can't ask for any more than that.  Norris currently 4th today on a harder compound than everyone else.  Alfa have also impressed not just me, but the pundits at the track who reckon they're looking strong as a best of the rest candidate.  Here's hoping that when Williams turn up, they can get onto the pace pretty quickly, because everyone else seems to have hit the ground running.  Yesterday was a remarkably smooth day for what was the first day of testing. 

My marks out of ten for what I've seen so far, with half a day of the first test to go.  Note these don't relate to WCC position.  Just how each team's testing has gone.

Ferrari 10/10 - Fast, flawless & doing the miles.
Mercedes 10/10 - Same, but keeping their powder dry and their times high on harder compounds
Alfa Romeo 9/10 - Looking like being in the mix for best of the rest.
Toro Rosso 9/10 - Benefitting from RBR complete back-end and looking pacy.  Could be a surprise.
Red Bull 8.5/10 - Very conservative speed so far, but everything under control and the Honda is reliable.
McLaren 8/10 - Looking a much better car than last year.  No harm in glory runs to find true pace.  There or thereabouts.
Haas 7/10 - Definitely a very quick Ferrari car, but suffering more red flags than anyone. Need to iron out the gremlins.
Renault 6/10 - Look to have improved today after a slow and stuttery first 3 days.  This rating may go up this afternoon.
Racing Point 5/10 - Haven't had the pace or the mileage yet, so for their sake I hope they're sandbagging.  Must do better.
Williams 3/10 - Finally got running half way through day 3 and are now just under 4 seconds off the pace today.  At least we have a Williams!

It's been a remarkably smooth pre-season test.  Unfortunately for Williams that means everyone has taken off into the distance.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

The documentary Senna about Ayrton Senna was brilliant. That's been the extent of my interest in F1. I've done a bit of go-kart racing if that counts.

GentleShinyKarakul-mobile.jpg

"Not interested, I'm making a shit load out of computers"

• Like 3

Just now, Jimzk5 said:

I can't be the only person who finds David "Crofty" croft an insufferable helmet.

I'll go with barely sufferable, but yeah I totally get where you're coming from.  I also find Channel 4's presenter, Steve Jones, can go a little OTT at times with the enthusiasm and behaviour.  Maybe he's just bloody loving what he's doing.  I would too.  But he can be a bit cringe.

30 minutes ago, BOF said:

I'll go with barely sufferable, but yeah I totally get where you're coming from.  I also find Channel 4's presenter, Steve Jones, can go a little OTT at times with the enthusiasm and behaviour.  Maybe he's just bloody loving what he's doing.  I would too.  But he can be a bit cringe.

Never watched C4s coverage so can't comment on Steve Jones, what pisses me off with "Crofty" is he appears to have lucked into what would be a dream for every F1 fan, first class travel around the world, commentate on races, meet drivers etc and he loves himself for it, he refers to himself in the 3rd person calling himself "Crofty". Monumental dick head. The only drawback from sky's F1 coverage 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jimzk5 said:

Never watched C4s coverage so can't comment on Steve Jones, what pisses me off with "Crofty" is he appears to have lucked into what would be a dream for every F1 fan, first class travel around the world, commentate on races, meet drivers etc and he loves himself for it, he refers to himself in the 3rd person calling himself "Crofty". Monumental dick head.

:lol::thumb:

1 hour ago, Jimzk5 said:

The only drawback from sky's F1 coverage 

Apart from the f**king paywall of course and the fact Sky are single-handedly destroying the viewership in one of F1's biggest traditional fanbases on the planet.  words removed :rant:

1 hour ago, BOF said:

:lol::thumb:

Apart from the f**king paywall of course and the fact Sky are single-handedly destroying the viewership in one of F1's biggest traditional fanbases on the planet.  words removed :rant:

I think sky's coverage is worth the £12 a month tbh

27 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

I think sky's coverage is worth the £12 a month tbh

You can get Sky F1 for a total of £12? Or 12 on top of the other Sky fees?

Gary Anderson's corrected best laps from 1st testing, factoring in tyre compound and fuel level.

Ferrari      1.16.048
Renault      1.16.361
Mercedes     1.16.492
Haas         1.16.565
Red Bull     1.16.615
Alfa Romeo   1.16.730
Racing Point 1.17.332
Toro Rosso   1.17.604
McLaren      1.18.265
Williams     1.19.165

• Like 1

There's no way Merc are that slow. Although I'd love it. I have a soft spot for ferrari but 5 years of domination is too long for one team. Even the ferrari 5 year reign was becoming boring, and even then there were a couple of seasons where they didn't have the best car and it was a very close fight, 2003 in particular. 

9 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

There's no way Merc are that slow. Although I'd love it. I have a soft spot for ferrari but 5 years of domination is too long for one team. Even the ferrari 5 year reign was becoming boring, and even then there were a couple of seasons where they didn't have the best car and it was a very close fight, 2003 in particular. 

He elaborates in the latest autosport podcast.  He doesn't expect they'll line up that far back in Australia, nor does he expect Renault up alongside Ferrari. But it's possible the new rules have caught Mercedes off guard. They did have the most to lose given that they were the best previously. But there's 3 weeks to the race and they have massive resources. 

35 minutes ago, BOF said:

He elaborates in the latest autosport podcast.  He doesn't expect they'll line up that far back in Australia, nor does he expect Renault up alongside Ferrari. But it's possible the new rules have caught Mercedes off guard. They did have the most to lose given that they were the best previously. But there's 3 weeks to the race and they have massive resources. 

To be honest Mercedes could start with the 3rd best car and have caught up by Barcelona. Their in season development is fearsome. 

Â