Formula One - 2019

BOF

19 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

I quite fancy paul ricard but it's in the middle of nowhere meaning a 20 mile trip or so and the roads in/out are absolutely shite and many people missed loads of the weekend last year trying to get in & out stuck in traffic for hours.

Some proper horror stories on trip advisor from last year https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g1596637-d7015106-Reviews-Circuit_Paul_Ricard-Le_Castellet_Var_Provence_Alpes_Cote_d_Azur.html

Paul Ricard was always notorious for access.  At least Silverstone's notoriety was dependent upon crap weather.

On 17/01/2019 at 17:35, Genie said:

Not really sure how I feel about the coming season as my dislike for Lewis Hamilton is growing and growing.

I want to get into it but I know he’ll either 1) dominate everything or 2) act like a horrible spoilt brat throwing his toys out when he doesn’t win.

I absolutely hate how he tweets and posts about how much he loves his fans yet his actions say otherwise.

Cant stand him.

Still can't believe Vettel handed him the Championship last season despite the better car. He's mentally finished IMO. 

On 17/01/2019 at 21:35, Genie said:

Not really sure how I feel about the coming season as my dislike for Lewis Hamilton is growing and growing.

I want to get into it but I know he’ll either 1) dominate everything or 2) act like a horrible spoilt brat throwing his toys out when he doesn’t win.

I absolutely hate how he tweets and posts about how much he loves his fans yet his actions say otherwise.

Cant stand him.

I’m not the biggest of Hamilton fans but I don’t  see how his actions say otherwise. He seems to communicate and speak to he’s fans quite a lot, and has a good relationship with them. 

The throwing his toys out the pram I completely agree with though. 

1 hour ago, Crumpet said:

I’m not the biggest of Hamilton fans but I don’t  see how his actions say otherwise. He seems to communicate and speak to he’s fans quite a lot, and has a good relationship with them. 

The throwing his toys out the pram I completely agree with though. 

"He" communicates with them via social media and says all the right things.. I suspect its not actually him a lot of time.

There are many instances even in the last couple of years where he's blanked his fans.

Couple of years ago didn't go the fans event in London, went to Greece on holiday with his mates instead.

He was due to go to the engine plant in Northampton to meet the team who provide the power to make him millions. Didn't turn up.

Silverstone last year (I think) walked out of the pit lane in a huff after finishing second when Martin Brundle was waiting to get him to speak to the fans.

...and he always throws the team under the bus via the radio when he's not happy with a decision (of which they have to make hundreds of split second decisions in a race).

That's before you consider stuff like bringing his dogs to race weekends so some poor sod has to walk, feed and clean up their shit for 4 days.

I used to be a massive fan of his when he broke into the sport but I really can't stand him now. Such an insincere petulant, arrogant prick.

I think he has some mental/stress/fame issues too. There was a radio interview with him a while back and he came over quite odd, might explain why he's never managed to settle down with a partner. I think he'll struggle for sanity when he leaves the sport.

Edited by Genie

I've got no choice but to make the same comments I normally make when Lewis Hamilton comes up. He';s a winner and an all time great in F1, he';s not humble Joe Bloggs down the street, how exactly do you want him to act? If we put these people on a pedestal dont be surprised when they come off as arrogant at times. With the relentless media commitments and factory commitments I'm not exactly surprised he has to miss the odd one or sometimes he not up for a meet and greet with some fans or god forbid he wants a holiday with some mates instead (what an asshole right!) In terms of conduct on the track he's one of the better drivers for me, definitely on the top order of drivers anyway (I'm looking at you Max and Seb).

Yes he can throw his team under the bus on the radio at times but he will also congratulate all of them when they get it right, its only fair he criticises when they are at fault.

The point I'm making here is that most of what you have said can be argued either way depending on whether you are a fan or not. I'm fairly confident Brits just don't like winners on the whole, we prefer the plucky underdog instead.

• Like 1

I've mellowed on him over the last few years. I'm not sure he's changed, I guess I'm getting used to him. He's a bit of a wally at times, but then he's grown up in a bubble and he's now a bazillionaire playboy - I imagine I'd be worse than he is in the same circumstances.

Highly unlikely this year but I really hope Honda deliver with Red Bull, I'm a huge Max fan and want to see him challenging for a World Championship. Quite like Gasly as well but he isn't on the level of Max. 

• Like 1

Highly unlikely this year but I really hope Renault deliver with their team, I'm a huge Ricciardo fan and want to see him challenging for a World Championship. Quite like Hulkenberg as well but he isn't on the level of Ricciardo. 

55 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Highly unlikely this year but I really hope Renault deliver with their team, I'm a huge Ricciardo fan and want to see him challenging for a World Championship. Quite like Hulkenberg as well but he isn't on the level of Ricciardo. 

The Renault v Red Bull rivalry is going to be brilliant.  It could go either way.  Honda could drop the ball and leave Red Bull in the lurch, leaving either Renault or Racing Point to come 3rd, or they could do what's expected and we get a good battle.  You'd assume the Renault curve is upwards both in terms of the engine development and the improvement in the driving department.  Then there's the needle between Renault and Red Bull away from the circuit.  Hopefully they all take a massive leap forwards and end up on the coat-tails of Ferrari & Merc, rather than fighting for a clear 3rd place.

And while I'm also a massive Ricciardo fan (who isn't?), I'm not completely convinced he'll have it all his own way against the Hulk.  He certainly won't wipe the floor with him, and remember he's coming into the Hulk's team.  Hulk has no acclimatisation to do, and the rules have been changed to favour (or rather to stop hindering ...) larger drivers which will make Hulk's life even easier.  I expect both will do well and Renault have one of the best driver line-ups.  It'll be weird seeing the traditionally dull, typically-French non-fun Renault becoming more outgoing and humourous by having Ricciardo around.  Because let's face it.  Fun follows him.

• Like 1

One announcement slightly out of left field here.  We've lost the Sauber name.  They've officially become Alfa Romeo Racing as of this season.  As much as it's great to have such an iconic name back in racing front and centre, this for me is just Ferrari bringing the team closer under their wing and making them another Toro Rosso. 

Racing Point will remain as Racing Point.  They failed to get permission to use the Lola name, amongst others, so they're staying as is.

Oh and T-40 :D 

Just now, choffer said:

More than a whiff of the Lotus 97T to that livery.

Once they went with Rich Energy, we were always likely to get a beauty :)

Â