Pre-match thread

wedge

It's difficult to see Lansbury being a Smith type player. He has a real penchant for the hollywood pass. During his career with Villa it feels like when he does that he gives the ball away about 80% of the time. On Saturday he had a point to prove after being out so long and about 80% of those long balls actually went to a Villa player. I was genuinely surprised. 

I don't see him as a CDM because he doesnt have the brains or discipline to play that role. Could he play the McGinn/Grealish role. Maybe not sure he's got the work rate and I'd put Hourihane over him. I think he can be an adequate sub and I'd like to see him really busting his ass to force his way into the team. Not sure that will happen though. 

---------------------------------Kalinic----------------------------------

Bree-----------Chester-----------Elphick-------------Taylor

---------------McGinn----Thor----Hourihane------------

Adomah-------------------------------------------------------Bolasie

--------------------------------Abraham---------------------------------

This would be my lineup - El Ghazi has played 1 decent game so far and the rest have been complete toilet. 

Adomah not been great either but still better option imo. 

Bree looking ok last few games would like to see him get more game time to develop further.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villaglint said:

I don't see him as a CDM because he doesnt have the brains or discipline to play that role. Could he play the McGinn/Grealish role. Maybe not sure he's got the work rate and I'd put Hourihane over him. I think he can be an adequate sub and I'd like to see him really busting his ass to force his way into the team. Not sure that will happen though. 

This is my problem with him.  He's not as good a defensive midfielder as our defensive midfielders and he's not as good an attacking midfielder as our attacking midfielders.  For me he's our TINA.

• Confused 1

Fun but completely pointless fact.  Lansbury is the only player in our squad who has won every single game he has been a part of in the league this season.  With an average of 3 points per game for his substitute appearance against the noses in November :P 

• Like 1

Along those lines, Wigan is one of the few clubs we have collected maximum points against since relegation to the Championship. The others being Rotherham, Swansea & Sunderland.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BOF said:

This is my problem with him.  He's not as good a defensive midfielder as our defensive midfielders and he's not as good an attacking midfielder as our attacking midfielders.  For me he's our TINA.

Tina? What's she got to do, got to do with it? 🤔

Genuinely confused (as usual).

10 hours ago, robby b said:

Tina? What's she got to do, got to do with it? 🤔

Genuinely confused (as usual).

TINA means 'there is no alternative'. In other words I'd only use him if I've no alternative.  It goes all the way back to how David O'Leary once insultingly referred to why he had to use a then-very young Craig Gardner in a match.  From that point on in VT he was known as Tina Gardner. (until he became a prick).

• Thanks 1

Would go with this on Saturday, a must win game which could start a run of much needed win's. We need to start picking up 3 points whilst the teams above us are playing each other to catch up with the playoff placed sides.

Kalinic

Bree     Elphick      Chester     Taylor

Hourihane

Adomah  McGinn  Lansbury  Bolasie

Abraham

The game will most probably come too early for Hause, but the defence will be strengthened with Taylor back. I would give Bree the nod over Hutton as he needs a run of games at right back.

In the midfield Lansbury should be given a chance after a decent cameo on Saturday. The other option is Bjarnasson but he has looked unfit in recent appearances. A fresh Hourihane should be able to do enough to shield the centre backs with McGinn and Lansbury ahead of him.

On the wings Adomah and Bolasie, I would let them swap at times to give the full backs a hard time. Adomah is in over Kodjia simply because he will help out Bree (although he didn't at the weekend)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Would go with this on Saturday, a must win game which could start a run of much needed win's. We need to start picking up 3 points whilst the teams above us are playing each other to catch up with the playoff placed sides.

Kalinic

Bree     Elphick      Chester     Taylor

Hourihane

Adomah  McGinn  Lansbury  Bolasie

Abraham

The game will most probably come too early for Hause, but the defence will be strengthened with Taylor back. I would give Bree the nod over Hutton as he needs a run of games at right back.

In the midfield Lansbury should be given a chance after a decent cameo on Saturday. The other option is Bjarnasson but he has looked unfit in recent appearances. A fresh Hourihane should be able to do enough to shield the centre backs with McGinn and Lansbury ahead of him.

On the wings Adomah and Bolasie, I would let them swap at times to give the full backs a hard time. Adomah is in over Kodjia simply because he will help out Bree (although he didn't at the weekend)

This for me, except El Ghazi for Adomah.

Also, thinking about it, if Hause is fit and can play LB would he be a better option over Taylor?!

But anyway, hopefully we have enough, vital we get 3 points.

Prediction 1-2 Villa.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WakefieldVillan said:

This for me, except El Ghazi for Adomah.

Also, thinking about it, if Hause is fit and can play LB would he be a better option over Taylor?!

But anyway, hopefully we have enough, vital we get 3 points.

Prediction 1-2 Villa.

I don't think Hause is a left back but a left sided centre back.

Going forward, and if he is fit, I would like to see him partnered with Chester. This then means Chester can play on the right hand side where he is a lot better and we have a left footed centre back on the left side.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

El Ghazi to start over Adomah for me too. Adomah was so useless in the cup, doesn't warrant a start

I'd agree with this. El Ghazi gives us something different, AA is great to track back but doesn't offer enough going forward. 

I'd go with players in their correct positions:

Kalinic

Bree Chester Elphick Taylor

Hourihane

Bolaise McGinn Lansbury ElGhazi

Abraham

Subs: Steer, Hutton, Hause, Thor, Kodija, Hogan, Davis.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

I don't think Hause is a left back but a left sided centre back.

Going forward, and if he is fit, I would like to see him partnered with Chester. This then means Chester can play on the right hand side where he is a lot better and we have a left footed centre back on the left side.

I agree, just trying to find any solution not to play Taylor 😉

Regarding Albert, it's frustrating, given that he did offer enough going forward in the first half of last season. And as a result I think he scored about eleven or twelve in the whole season so he must have been one of our two top scorers along with Grabban. So basically we need our first half of last season Adomah back. 

Edited by robby b

9 hours ago, Herman22 said:

I'd agree with this. El Ghazi gives us something different, AA is great to track back but doesn't offer enough going forward. 

I'd go with players in their correct positions:

Kalinic

Bree Chester Elphick Taylor

Hourihane

Bolaise McGinn Lansbury ElGhazi

Abraham

Subs: Steer, Hutton, Hause, Thor, Kodija, Hogan, Davis.

We don't need 3 forwards on the bench and need more than one midfielder.   I'd drop Hogan and put O'hare on the bench.

imo Hause should start if he's fit/match sharp.

we need a big unit at the back, Elphick and Chester as a duo are both small, we need some height/speed/strength in the CB position.

I would prob start with Hause / Chester, unless Chester needs a rest due to his long standing knee niggles, then i would rest Chester and pair Hause with Elphick.