Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
wedge

Pre-match thread

Recommended Posts

We really, really, really need to win this one. We can't afford to stumble again after chucking away leads in our last two league games. Sorry for stating the obvious but to me it is obvious!

Assuming Tammy is a goner and we haven't signed any new players before Saturday, I'd be tempted to go with two up top:

 

                       Kalinic

Bree   Elphick  Chester  Hutton/Taylor

El Ghazi/Adomah  McGinn  Hourihane  Bolasie

                      Hogan     Kodjia

 

Subs: Steer, Taylor/Hutton, Adomah/El Ghazi, Bjarnason, Lansbury, Elmo, Davis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Need to win this or else it starts to get ugly. I expect Tammy will he gone. My biggest concern is how lacklustre we’ve looked since losing Jack against Baggies. I didn’t expect we were so reliant on one player but that seems to be the case. But what’s amazed me is that our whole approach has stumbled since the Baggies game; no pressing, no high energy and tempo and we’re now creating a lot less chances and don’t look a threat. We’re now playing the same way that got Bruce the boot and we need to improve and fast. 

Lansbury sounds like he earns himself a start. I doubt Smith will start OHare and will likely play Kodjia in place of Tammy but keep the shape. We need more from Hourihane and McGinn as a pair and need to press and press the opposition when they have the ball and go on the attack. 

Mots important we try hover around 6th place until we get jack back and some new signings in to try make a surge for playoffs in the closing months of the season. To do so, we need to get points imat places like Wigan. We need a win. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really don't see where the fascination of Hogan had emerged from.

He's crap and has been abysmal for quite a while. He belongs on the bench imo.

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, roonst83 said:

Need to win this or else it starts to get ugly. I expect Tammy will he gone. My biggest concern is how lacklustre we’ve looked since losing Jack against Baggies. I didn’t expect we were so reliant on one player but that seems to be the case. But what’s amazed me is that our whole approach has stumbled since the Baggies game; no pressing, no high energy and tempo and we’re now creating a lot less chances and don’t look a threat. We’re now playing the same way that got Bruce the boot and we need to improve and fast. 

Lansbury sounds like he earns himself a start. I doubt Smith will start OHare and will likely play Kodjia in place of Tammy but keep the shape. We need more from Hourihane and McGinn as a pair and need to press and press the opposition when they have the ball and go on the attack. 

Mots important we try hover around 6th place until we get jack back and some new signings in to try make a surge for playoffs in the closing months of the season. To do so, we need to get points imat places like Wigan. We need a win. 

 

You're right.

Another poor performance or a loss and things will start turning ugly.

The 'Smith needs time' stance will soon be forgotten by many.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For this one I'd go:

----------------------------------Kalinic----------------------------------

Hutton-----------Chester-----------Elphick-------------Taylor

---------------McGinn----Lansbury----Hourihane------------

El Ghazi-------------------------------------------------------Bolasie

--------------------------------Abraham---------------------------------

Subs:

Steer, Bree, Bjarnason, Whelan, Adomah, Kodjia, Davis.

If Abraham isn't here then I think it's a straight choice between Kodjia and Davis and Elmohamady can come onto the bench.

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

The 'Smith needs time' stance will soon be forgotten by many.

Which would - quite frankly - be ridiculous. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wedge said:

Which would - quite frankly - be ridiculous. 

True, But equally unsuprising.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t like using the term must win, and in reality, this game won’t fully decide anything regardless of result. This game is close to a must win though. If anything, just to give the club a bit of a lift, and install the confidence that we seem to be losing week by week. Lose this, and it could be 8 points off 6th spot too. 2.0 Villa 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

For this one I'd go:

----------------------------------Kalinic----------------------------------

Hutton-----------Chester-----------Elphick-------------Taylor

---------------McGinn----Lansbury----Hourihane------------

El Ghazi-------------------------------------------------------Bolasie

--------------------------------Abraham---------------------------------

Subs:

Steer, Bree, Bjarnason, Whelan, Adomah, Kodjia, Davis.

If Abraham isn't here then I think it's a straight choice between Kodjia and Davis and Elmohamady can come onto the bench.

 

 

 

this tbh.

I would debate Hutton/Bree, but ye, in principle i agree with this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is 'must win' in more ways than one.  The obvious one being that any notion of chasing the automatic places is becoming more and more fanciful as the weeks go on,  but also the fact that Wigan are currently THE worst team in the division based on form.  They have 1 point from their last 6 games.  A 2-2 at Swansea.  They've sank from a high of 8th place after October 13th down to 20th place right now.  If we can't beat these then we need to look at our ambitions this season.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BOF said:

This is 'must win' in more ways than one.  The obvious one being that any notion of chasing the automatic places is becoming more and more fanciful as the weeks go on,  but also the fact that Wigan are currently THE worst team in the division based on form.  They have 1 point from their last 6 games.  A 2-2 at Swansea.  They've sank from a high of 8th place after October 13th down to 20th place right now.  If we can't beat these then we need to look at our ambitions this season.

From where I'm looking our ambitions are to be an also ran championship club. With that in mind a draw wouldn't surprise me here in the slightest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have the chance to do the double over Wigan on Saturday and as has already been said we really need to do so to get back on track.

We have not lost at Wigan since 2006 and have won on 5 of our 8 visits up there since then. Overall we have 8 wins and 6 draws to show from the 19 league games between the two clubs. I was standing on the grass/mud bank behind the goal during the first meeting between the two clubs 37 years ago at Springfield Park. We won that League Cup game 2-1 and another 2-1 win on Saturday would do nicely. 

They are currently 12 points behind us and a win could possibly bring us within 2 points of a play off place.  We are currently a better bet away from home than we are at Villa Park, having won 3 and drawn 2 of our last 5 away matches. Here's hoping we can record our first victory of the New Year and take 3 points from Wigan!  

Edited by John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

For this one I'd go:

----------------------------------Kalinic----------------------------------

Hutton-----------Chester-----------Elphick-------------Taylor

---------------McGinn----Lansbury----Hourihane------------

El Ghazi-------------------------------------------------------Bolasie

--------------------------------Abraham---------------------------------

Subs:

Steer, Bree, Bjarnason, Whelan, Adomah, Kodjia, Davis.

If Abraham isn't here then I think it's a straight choice between Kodjia and Davis and Elmohamady can come onto the bench.

 

 

 

I’d go with this too. Agree Bree could easily start instead of Hutton.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, John said:

They are currently 12 points behind us and a win could possibly bring us within 2 points of a play off place. 

It really is toit like a toiger in and around the playoff spots.  This points distribution table gives a better idea of where we all sit, and how easy it is for the whole thing to be turned upside down.  We (as in all teams outside the playoffs) do need to just nip that little gap in the bud though.  We don't want the top 6 setting off into the distance.

00a852d1623625f46f644a40d01274b8.png

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This will be an important game to win especially as it will probably be our first game without Tammy, its imperative that we hit the ground running here!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I'd use Barney instead of Henri.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

f208c1952534540b2d7bf1a9b7955a24.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Lansbury needs to play Saturday. 

Perfect game to reintroduce him against a relatively weaker team, whilst also resting one of the midfielders!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dunno.  Maybe I'm being harsh, but I'd be quite happy not to see Lansbury starting for the rest of the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...
Â